Telecom workers call for restrictions over use of artificial intelligence

Advertisement

Advertise with us

MONTREAL - Telecommunications workers are calling for government restrictions on the use of artificial intelligence in the sector, suggesting the technology is being used to monitor workers and disguise the accents of overseas call centre workers.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

MONTREAL – Telecommunications workers are calling for government restrictions on the use of artificial intelligence in the sector, suggesting the technology is being used to monitor workers and disguise the accents of overseas call centre workers.

The Canadian Telecommunications Workers’ Alliance detailed their AI concerns on April 30 in front of the House of Commons’ Standing Committee on Industry and Technology, in Ottawa.

The alliance includes, among others, three major unions in the sector: Unifor, the United Steelworkers union, and the Canadian Union of Public Employees. They represent 32,000 workers in Canada’s telecommunications industry, including Bell, Rogers, and Telus.

A person uses a cellphone in Ottawa on Monday, July 18, 2022. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
A person uses a cellphone in Ottawa on Monday, July 18, 2022. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

In his opening remarks, Roch Leblanc, Unifor telecommunications sector director, said he was “aware that at least one company was using AI to mask accents of offshore agents.”

He said that could “mislead Canadians” into believing they were speaking with Canada-based employees, while being unaware that the jobs had been offshored.

He said customers should be informed when AI is being used.

Leblanc said roughly 20,000 jobs in the telecommunications sector had been lost over the past 10 to 15 years due to automation and offshoring, adding that the alliance feared artificial intelligence would accelerate that trend.

He said AI use was particularly advanced in telecommunications and was being used to monitor workers in ways such as tracking technicians’ movements and measuring the time spent on tasks.

He also said AI could analyze call centre conversations word-by-word to reroute calls or identify patterns linked to sales and subscriptions.

Leblanc urged governments to restrict AI-based monitoring, saying it increased psychological stress and intensified workloads.

Nathalie Blais, a research advisor with the Canadian Union of Public Employees, said the technology could be “very invasive” and should be used “for the common good,” rather than in ways that might mislead people or eliminate jobs.

She said the alliance wants a permanent federal working group on artificial intelligence that brings together government, industry and civil society to collaborate on how the technology is implemented.

The alliance also called for stronger protections for workers’ jobs, their rights, and the security of Canadians’ information.

Artificial Intelligence Minister Evan Solomon said Monday that the federal government’s promised new national AI strategy will consider impacts on the labour market.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 5, 2026.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Preview

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Updated: 4:28 PM CDT

Ninety-four complaints about teacher misconduct were flagged in the 15 months after Manitoba set up an independent office to regulate the profession.

Commissioner Noni Classen has released a summary of the allegations brought to her attention and findings of investigations undertaken between January 2025 and March 2026.

A new disciplinary system, as well as an online registry where members of the public can look up the education level and standing of teachers and school clinicians, came into effect Jan. 6, 2025.

“These processes can be difficult and deeply personal for everyone involved, including students, families, teachers and school administrators,” Classen wrote in a 24-page report published this week.

Read
Updated: 4:28 PM CDT

Adding emergency doctors, nurses and support staff is great, but it won’t break the wait-time logjam

Dan Lett 5 minute read Preview

Adding emergency doctors, nurses and support staff is great, but it won’t break the wait-time logjam

Dan Lett 5 minute read 1:15 PM CDT

When Premier Wab Kinew recently announced his government had recruited more than 4,700 net new health-care professionals and support workers, the proclamation was met with quite a few rolling eyes.

Read
1:15 PM CDT

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Two men in electric ankle bracelets who were being monitored by justice officials have been accused in a two-month spree of commercial break-ins, vehicle thefts and other property crimes.

City police have charged one of the suspects and are searching for the second.

About $140,000 worth of property, including trailers, lawn equipment, motorcycles and bicycles, was reported stolen in 13 incidents in Winnipeg and the Rural Municipality of Headingley between April 20 and June 28, the Winnipeg Police Service said.

Both suspects were wearing electronic monitoring bracelets during that time.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Ignore gossip, be good till girlfriend’s back

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: I am lonely to the bone. My girlfriend has been away working for the summer, and I promised I wouldn’t cheat on her. But now I have heard through the grapevine she’s seeing a guy who works at her kids’ camp.

I think the source can be trusted, because she’s a friend who cares about me, almost like a sister. Actually I think she kind of wants me herself, but never seems to cross that line. Should I believe her “inside information” when she might be wanting to go out with me herself?

My girlfriend won’t be back until the very end of August and the messages and phone calls back and forth have been less and less frequent. Maybe she’s just busy or getting rested up to see me — or maybe she’s seeing someone else. I’m feeling jealous and I hate it! Maybe I should see somebody else too. Please advise ASAP.

— Lonely and Suspicious, Transcona

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 2 minute read Preview

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 2 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Two of Canada’s major banks are set to relocate from their longstanding downtown Brandon locations in October.

Read
Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

An internal investigation by Manitoba’s Families Department is nearly complete in the case of a six-year-old girl who is paralyzed after being assaulted by her foster mother in Winnipeg.

The review by child-welfare officials is intended to prevent similar incidents, but it’s unlikely the public will learn the findings or recommendations.

“We’re working closely with the (child and family services) authority to make sure that every recommendation is taken seriously and implemented,” Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine said Monday.

“They’re important (investigations) because they help us identify what went wrong so we can make those changes to ensure something like this tragedy never happens again.”

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT