Winnipeg looking for new company to build waterpark
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 28/04/2009 (6322 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
WINNIPEG – The City of Winnipeg is looking for a new private company to build a waterpark, after the Canad Inns Hotel chain has backed away from a plan to build a $43.6-million facility at Polo Park.
In 2008, the city offered Canad Inns $7 million to build a $43.6-million water park attached to the Canad Inns Polo Park hotel alongside a new, $12.6-million hotel tower expansion at the property.
Canad Inns beat out a bid by David Asper-owned Creswin Properties to to build a water park downtown along Waterfront Drive as well as a separate plan to build an indoor facility at Kilcona Park in northeast Winnipeg.
The city’s $7-million contribution came from a $43-million recreation kitty created by the federal and provincial governments after Mayor Sam Katz cancelled former Mayor Glen Murray’s plan to build a bus-rapid transit corridor along Pembina Highway.
In 2006, city council devoted $9 million of this cash toward pool upgrades at Kildonan Park. But that plan was shelved in January 2008 when it became clear the project would exceed its budget.
Instead, the city opted to spend $2.8 million on Kildonan Park improvements and asked for private partners to build what Katz calls a "world-class water park” with the help of $7 million in city cash.
City planners chose the Canad Inns proposal because of the hotel chain’s proven track record of building water parks, the ease of public access to the Polo Park-area location and the fact the hotel chain already owns the land in question — which happens to be zoned properly.
"I want to see this water park in my lifetime. It think it’s time our children had that opportunity," said Katz at the time, repeating his contention it is embarrassing a city the size of Winnipeg does not have a major indoor water park. "On this particular site, they can definitely move post-haste."
Later in 2008, Canad Inns and the city’s community services department reached an agreement about public access and the distribution of free tickets. But no construction plans were submitted, city sources said last week.
On Monday, a city spokeswoman said the park was proceeding as planned. But today, the city issued a press release stating Canad Inns will no longer proceed.
“Canad Inns has advised the City of Winnipeg that they are not in a position to proceed at the site at this time, the city said in a statement.
“Given the City’s ongoing commitment to this project and desire to move forward immediately, an expression of interest will be reissued in the near future.”
Canad Inns has yet to comment. The chain is in the midst of building a new hotel near the Health Sciences Centre and also has plans to renovate downtown’s Metropolitan Theatre, which it bought three years ago for a reputed $70,000 but has yet to renovate.