Chequebooks open before doors open

Big donations in lead-up to CMHR debut

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Let's ring those phones!

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $75*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $5.77 plus GST every four weeks. After 52 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

Monthly Digital Subscription

$4.99/week*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 09/09/2014 (4275 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Let’s ring those phones!

With the days ticking down until the grand opening of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights, a number of high-profile donors has once again dusted off their chequebooks.

On Monday, it was the RBC Foundation donating $1 million, a decade after it made the same gift.

JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
The Canadian Museum for Human Rights
JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS The Canadian Museum for Human Rights

“We knew we would make a second gift closer to the museum opening. It was a matter of timing,” said RBC spokesman Robb Ritchie.

“The museum is right in our own backyard. We really do believe in the mission, message and goals of the museum.”

Last week, corporate giant Power Corp., along with its Winnipeg-based subsidiaries, Great-West Life and Investors Group, as well as Canada Life and London Life, donated another $1 million, bringing its total up to $3 million.

And late last month, the Jim Gauthier Automotive Group upped its support by $500,000, for a total of $1.5 million.

That’s $2.5 million in less than three weeks and $5.5 million since last December. To date, the Friends of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights has raised $147 million toward the capital campaign, leaving it just $3 million short of its $150-million goal.

Viv Draward, director of communications and marketing for the Friends, said having six- and seven-figure donations rolling in isn’t completely unexpected. The museum will welcome its first visitors on Saturday, Sept. 20.

“Friends has received tremendous support over the course of the campaign and with generous supporters like Jim Gauthier, Power Corp. and the RBC Foundation, it doesn’t surprise us at all that they’ve chosen to increase their gifts and show their continued commitment to the museum,” Draward said.

Museum spokeswoman Maureen Fitzhenry said workers and volunteers are putting the finishing touches on the museum’s exhibits as what is easily one of the most anticipated openings in Winnipeg’s history draws closer.

“We’re fitting up all the digital assets so the projections are going on the right screens, we’re putting artifacts into the cases and doing last bits of installation of the exhibition pieces. The greenery is also being planted in the Garden of Contemplation,” she said.

JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES
Views from the Isreal Asper Tower of Hope in the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES Views from the Isreal Asper Tower of Hope in the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.

“We’re preparing for our opening weekend, which is a gigantic undertaking.”

If things go as hoped, more money could be coming in over the next little while as the Friends have been “actively speaking” with new prospects and existing donors to line up pledges. It’s one thing to promise to support a concept, but putting money behind an actual facility could be much easier for many potential donors.

“We know that once people experience the museum for themselves, they will come away with why it’s so important to learn about human rights,” Draward said.

geoff.kirbyson@freepress.mb.ca

How excited are you about the Canadian Museum for Human Rights opening? Join the conversation in the comments below.

History

Updated on Tuesday, September 9, 2014 6:32 AM CDT: Replaces photo, adds question for discussion

Report Error Submit a Tip

Local

LOAD LOCAL ARTICLES