Bail denied for man charged with Christine Wood’s murder


Advertise with us

The man accused of killing 21-year-old Christine Wood has been denied bail a second time.

Read this article for free:


Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe with this special offer:

All-Access Digital Subscription

$4.75 per week*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Pay $19.00 every four weeks. GST will be added to each payment. Subscription can be cancelled anytime.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 20/11/2018 (1528 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The man accused of killing 21-year-old Christine Wood has been denied bail a second time.

Brett Overby, 31, will remain in custody while he awaits his second-degree murder trial. Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Sadie Bond delivered her decision in the high-profile case Tuesday.

No details of the bail hearing can be published to protect Overby’s right to a fair trial.

Christine Wood is shown in a Winnipeg Police handout photo.

Bond previously denied him bail in June 2017, and he applied for bail again last summer, with a legal motion arguing there had been a change of circumstances.

Wood disappeared from Winnipeg on Aug. 19, 2016.

She and her family had travelled to the city from Oxford House First Nation for a relative’s medical appointment and were staying in a St. James-area hotel. She went out for the evening, and her family never saw her again.

Police believe she died in a house at 341 Burrows Ave., and Overby was charged with second-degree murder in April 2017.

Wood’s remains were found in a shallow grave June 3, 2017, by a farmer in the Rural Municipality of Springfield.

Twitter: @thatkatiemay

Katie May

Katie May

Katie May is a general-assignment reporter for the Free Press.

Report Error Submit a Tip


Advertise With Us