Province tops-up, expands restaurant financial relief program

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Rural restaurants and catering businesses which suffered financial losses due to the COVID-19 pandemic are now eligible for provincial relief.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $75*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $5.77 plus GST every four weeks. After 52 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

Monthly Digital Subscription

$4.99/week*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 16/04/2021 (1859 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Rural restaurants and catering businesses which suffered financial losses due to the COVID-19 pandemic are now eligible for provincial relief.

The Manitoba government announced Friday it was putting $2 million — in addition to $4 million previously allocated — into its Dine-in Restaurant Relief Program.

The program, administered by the Manitoba Chambers of Commerce, with the Manitoba Restaurant and Foodservices Association, has thus far reported 513 applications approved (mostly in Winnipeg) since it was launched in January.

(AP FILES/Steven Senne)
Rural restaurants and catering businesses which suffered financial losses due to the COVID-19 pandemic are now eligible for provincial relief.
(AP FILES/Steven Senne) Rural restaurants and catering businesses which suffered financial losses due to the COVID-19 pandemic are now eligible for provincial relief.

Caterers and rural restaurants who weren’t included in the original program can now apply for financial rebates based on how their revenues compare to pre-pandemic times.

“In a time when the food service industry in Manitoba has experienced significant revenue losses due to the pandemic and code red restrictions, we are pleased to see our provincial government expanding this initiative to ensure funding reaches some of the rural restaurants and our catering industry who have faced significant challenges of operating during this unprecedented time,” Shaun Jeffrey, association executive director and chief executive officer, said in a statement.

Chuck Davidson, president and CEO of the chambers, said: “This expanded program is intended to provide extended financial relief to dine-in restaurants that have been affected financially by the province moving to critical (red)… and resulting public health orders.”

Economic Development and Jobs Minister Ralph Eichler said in a statement the “restaurant industry has made significant sacrifices to keep all Manitobans safe in our fight against COVID-19… We will continue to work with our business community and partners to identify industry needs during this challenging time.”

kevin.rollason@freepress.mb.ca

Kevin Rollason

Kevin Rollason
Reporter

Kevin Rollason is a general assignment reporter at the Free Press. He graduated from Western University with a Masters of Journalism in 1985 and worked at the Winnipeg Sun until 1988, when he joined the Free Press. He has served as the Free Press’s city hall and law courts reporter and has won several awards, including a National Newspaper Award. Read more about Kevin.

Every piece of reporting Kevin produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Local

LOAD LOCAL ARTICLES