Staff member seriously assaulted at Seven Oaks hospital


Advertise with us

A staff member was seriously assaulted inside the Seven Oaks hospital in northwest Winnipeg Wednesday afternoon.

Read this article for free:


Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe with this special offer:

All-Access Digital Subscription

$1.50 for 150 days*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Pay $1.50 for the first 22 weeks of your subscription. After 22 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.00 per month. GST will be added to each payment. Subscription can be cancelled after the first 22 weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 27/10/2021 (401 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A staff member was seriously assaulted inside the Seven Oaks hospital in northwest Winnipeg Wednesday afternoon.

“Our staff and leadership are devastated by this incident and our hearts and healing thoughts are with the victim and their family, as well as with all employees and patients at Seven Oaks,” the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority said in a news release.

Police were called to the Leila Avenue hospital around 2:30 p.m. Police said one person was transported for treatment in unstable condition.

Mike Sudoma / Winnipeg Free Press Winnipeg police respond to the scene of an assault at Seven Oaks Hospital Wednesday afternoon. The incident occurred at approximately 2:30 pm and one individual is in un-stable condition.

Five cruiser cars remained at the main entrance hours later and a section of the driveway was cordoned off with police tape.

“Our leadership is humbled by the extraordinary courage, compassion, and selflessness of so many staff members that was on display at Seven Oaks today as this event unfolded and as we all continue to make the safety and care of our patients our top priority despite these tragic circumstances,” the WRHA said.

The hospital remains open but visitation will be suspended for at least 24 hours, with the exception of end-of-life situations.

“The safety of our staff and patients is top of mind and additional security has been called in to ensure the hospital is safe and secure for all staff and patients.”

The main Leila Avenue entrance is closed for the remainder of the day. The urgent care centre and its usual entrance remain open to the public. Dialysis patients are being contacted directly, but should use the McPhillips Street entrance to access care.

Report Error Submit a Tip


Advertise With Us