IIU investigating restaurant owner’s death in police custody
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 08/11/2021 (1745 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Manitoba’s police watchdog is investigating the death of a man last week who was in police custody after acting aggressively and erratically in traffic near the legislature.
The Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba confirmed Monday it was made aware of the death Thursday night.
The IIU did not name the man, but sources have told the Free Press it was George Simeonidis Jr., owner of the Santa Lucia Pizza restaurant on Corydon Avenue.
He was handcuffed when he collapsed at about 7:15 p.m. on Osborne Street, according to information from police, the IIU reported. The man was rushed to St. Boniface Hospital in critical condition and was pronounced dead a short time later.
Simeonidis is married and has a 13-year-old son and 11-year-old daughter. He is part of a well-known Manitoba family of restaurateurs who own several pizza restaurants, a business that began in Thompson in 1971.
Winnipeg police said Monday that emergency services personnel initially responded to the 100 block of Osborne Street North on Thursday at 7:05 p.m. after multiple callers phoned in reports of a man acting aggressively and erratically in the street.
A Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service safety supervisor, who was driving past, stopped to make sure the man was OK, according to police.
Police officers and other responders followed. Paramedics immediately provided emergency medical care when the man collapsed, Winnipeg police said in a press release.
A family source told the Free Press that as of Monday afternoon Simeonidis’s family hadn’t been provided more details about the incident.
The IIU is asking witnesses or anyone with information about the case, or relevant video, to call the IIU toll-free at 1-844-667-6060.
kevin.rollason@freepress.mb.ca
Kevin Rollason
Reporter
Kevin Rollason was a general assignment reporter at the Free Press.
Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.
Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.