Perfetti ready to pounce Dynamic young Jets forward healthy, can’t wait for camp

You’d be hard-pressed to find a Winnipeg Jets player more anxious to get the new season going than Cole Perfetti.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 17/08/2023 (1101 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

You’d be hard-pressed to find a Winnipeg Jets player more anxious to get the new season going than Cole Perfetti.

The 21-year-old hasn’t tasted game action since way back on Feb. 19, when a promising campaign came to a painful end courtesy of an upper-body ailment. Perfetti tried to fast-track an expected two-month recovery — working his tail off as his team geared up for the playoffs — and was on the cusp of getting the green light just as they were being quickly eliminated by the Vegas Golden Knights in late April.

Injury. Meet insult.

JESSICA LEE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES
                                Winnipeg Jets player Cole Perfetti is anxious to get the new season going.

JESSICA LEE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES

Winnipeg Jets player Cole Perfetti is anxious to get the new season going.

“Obviously the off-season has been extremely long,” Perfetti told the Free Press in a wide-ranging telephone chat this week from his home in Whitby, Ont. “It sucks to be close to coming back — like really, really close — but you’ve got to do what’s right for your body and what’s right for my future. You know, it’s definitely extra motivation. I’m ready. I’m really ready.”

Not that he needs it, but there’s another little carrot dangling in front of Perfetti with training camp now just a month away. It comes in the form of a juicy job opening, specifically the second-line centre position that has been vacated by the now-departed Pierre-Luc Dubois.

Perfetti, who was in that spot in junior but has been used primarily as a winger in his 69 NHL games so far (51 last year, and 18 in 2021-22), believes he is a prime candidate.

“I feel comfortable in the middle of the ice. I think there’s a lot of positives that come from playing in the middle. There’s a lot more responsibility and all that stuff, but I think your game can really take another step,” said Perfetti, who was in the Calder Trophy conversation with 30 points (eight goals, 22 assists) before going down.

“I’m happy to play either spot. I think any line combo, any mixing and matching is going to work out well.”

“I feel comfortable in the middle of the ice. I think there’s a lot of positives that come from playing in the middle.”–Cole Perfetti

His main competition will likely come from 24-year-old Gabriel Vilardi, who was one of the three pieces to come back from the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for Dubois. Like Perfetti, Vilardi is a natural centre who has mostly been used on the flank so far in his NHL career. Vladislav Namestnikov is another possibility, having filled the spot quite capably when the Jets were dealing with a number of injuries.

“I know there’s going to be more opportunity,” said Perfetti, alluding to the fact that Dubois and Blake Wheeler (bought out by Winnipeg, then signed as a free agent by the New York Rangers) are off the roster.

“I understand I have to work extra hard. And once I get an opportunity from Bones (coach Rick Bowness), whatever that may be, just take advantage of it. But at the same time, just try not to think about it too much, go about my business, work hard in the gym and on the ice, go out there and what happens, happens. But I want to go out and prove that I can fill those roles that Dubie and Wheels had in the past and be that guy that can step in and help the team take a huge step forward.”

MARK ZALESKI / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS FILES
                                Staying in the lineup is just as important for Cole Perfetti as where he ultimately ends up playing.

MARK ZALESKI / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS FILES

Staying in the lineup is just as important for Cole Perfetti as where he ultimately ends up playing.

Staying in the lineup is just as important for Perfetti as where he ultimately ends up playing. The 10th-overall pick from the 2020 draft has already dealt with three significant injuries in the first two years of his career, leading some to wonder whether the 5-11, 177-pounder is built for the rigours of a full NHL season.

“You know everyone is going to go through injuries. No one makes it through their career completely healthy. It’s just unfortunate they’ve happened so close. It’s just a part of playing a professional physical sport,” said Perfetti, who believes it’s just more about bad luck that any particular pattern he can identify.

“You try, as a young player, to learn from that. And you try to learn from guys like KC (Kyle Connor) and Lows (Adam Lowry), who played all 82 last year. They do a tremendous job taking care of their bodies. Obviously, no one ever wants to get hurt but to go through these kinds of injuries, go through this adversity as a young player… you’ve got a long career ahead and it’s all about how you deal with adversity, I think you can take positives from it. It sucks, but hopefully, that’s it for a while, knock on wood.”

“You know everyone is going to go through injuries… It’s just a part of playing a professional physical sport.”–Cole Perfetti

It’s worth noting that Perfetti has changed his trainer, hitching his wagon to Matt Nichol out of Toronto.

“He’s a big rehab guy. I’ve got a really good crew in Toronto, a group of like 30 NHL guys all there. It’s a really good program, and I’ve been feeling really, really good on and off the ice,” he said. “We’ve just been making sure everything is dialled in, making sure I’m feeling 100 per cent heading back to camp, which I am right now. So it’s been a great summer, and I’m really happy with how everything has been going.”

Perfetti, a true student of the game who is a former winner of the Ontario Hockey League’s scholastic player of the year award, is obviously a key piece of Winnipeg’s present. But he also represents a big part of the future. He’s taken notice of several other young exciting prospects now in the system, who recently opened plenty of eyes at Jets development camp last month. That includes recent first-round picks such as Chaz Lucius, Brad Lambert, Rutger McGroarty and Colby Barlow.

JEFF ROBERSON / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS FILES
                                Winnipeg Jets’ Cole Perfetti is obviously a key piece of Winnipeg’s present. But he also represents a big part of the future.

JEFF ROBERSON / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS FILES

Winnipeg Jets’ Cole Perfetti is obviously a key piece of Winnipeg’s present. But he also represents a big part of the future.

“I think we’ve done a really good job of drafting. There’s going to be some really high-end players for us in the future,” said Perfetti. “I’ve talked to all of those guys, spent a bit of time with Lambert and Lucius, I’m excited to meet McGroarty and Barlow. They seem like first-class people. It’s exciting to have those kinds of people coming into the organization, guys you know you’re going to spend a huge chunk of your career playing with.”

Perfetti also likes what he sees from the current Winnipeg roster which has added Vilardi, Alex Iafallo and Rasmus Kupari, while also retaining Namestnikov (who came at the trade deadline last year after Perfetti got hurt) along with Nino Niederreiter (also added at the deadline).

“We have a lot of guys that can play up and down the lineup, guys that bring a lot of hockey sense and skill, size and speed,” said Perfetti, who is coming to town just after Labour Day to get settled and begin informal skates with many of his early-arriving teammates before camp officially begins around Sept. 20.

“I think, going into the season, we’re in a really good spot. I think everyone is in a real positive mindset. I think guys realize we are a deep team. I’ve been chatting with a lot of the guys, and can’t wait to get back in the swing of things. Everyone is so excited to go back and start hanging out. It’s been a long summer for sure.”

“I think, going into the season, we’re in a really good spot. I think everyone is in a real positive mindset. I think guys realize we are a deep team.”–Cole Perfetti

That’s especially true in his case, where the waiting game has gone into extended overtime. No doubt the first regular-season game, set for Oct. 11 in Calgary and nearly eight full months since his last, is circled on the calendar.

“I’m just kind of sick of the offseason,” he said.

mike.mcintyre@freepress.mb.ca

Twitter: @mikemcintyrewpg

Mike McIntyre

Mike McIntyre
Reporter

Mike McIntyre is a sports reporter whose primary role is covering the Winnipeg Jets. After graduating from the Creative Communications program at Red River College in 1995, he spent two years gaining experience at the Winnipeg Sun before joining the Free Press in 1997, where he served on the crime and justice beat until 2016. Read more about Mike.

Every piece of reporting Mike produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Demonstrators rallied at the Manitoba legislature Friday, calling the abuse and death of children in care a “state of emergency.”

“These things continue to happen,” said Donna Dumas, a former foster parent of a child with special needs.

She pointed to the Aug. 9 death of a four-year-old girl in care on Long Plain First Nation. Two of the girl’s sisters, aged one and two, were hospitalized with injuries. The children’s mother, who was at Friday’s rally, previously told the Free Press she was working to get her kids back in her care after they were apprehended in October 2025.

Family reunification advocate Cheryl Wozniak said the NDP government was expected to help return children to their families.

Around the NSL: Wild week; Playoff race heats up; Roses bounce back

Grace Anne Paizen 4 minute read Preview

Around the NSL: Wild week; Playoff race heats up; Roses bounce back

Grace Anne Paizen 4 minute read 6:34 PM CDT

It was another Wild week in the Northern Super League — and talk about slaying giants.

Calgary defended its home pitch last Saturday and defeated the league-leading Ottawa Rapid 4-3 at McMahon Stadium.

For the Wild faithful who have stuck with the club all season, this one was for you.

The home side came out firing, barraging Mollie Eriksson and Melissa Dagenais with 16 shots towards the net, with nine of those shots on target.

Read
6:34 PM CDT

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT

A man who fatally stabbed a Ukrainian newcomer in “a random, unprovoked, and senseless act of violence” on the street has been sentenced to 10 years behind bars.

Ethan Gladu, 22, was found guilty of manslaughter in February in the December 20, 2023 killing of Ivan Rubanik, a 46-year-old father of two who had fled to Canada for a better life with his family several months before.

Gladu, then 19, randomly stabbed Rubanik shortly before 8 a.m., near Talbot Avenue and Watt Street, as the victim was walking to work that morning. He died of blood loss soon after.

“The people of Winnipeg, or any community, should feel confident that they can go about their business, walk to work, support their family, and carry on with their lives without being attacked,” said Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne on Thursday afternoon as he sentenced the killer.

Read
Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT

NDP touts health-care gains, but critics question impact on ER wait times

Tom Brodbeck 5 minute read Preview

NDP touts health-care gains, but critics question impact on ER wait times

Tom Brodbeck 5 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara doesn’t mince words when describing how bad things are in the province’s emergency departments and urgent-care centres.

“The wait times that we are seeing in Manitoba are unacceptable,” said Asagwara in an interview with the Free Press.

“I hear from families, I hear from providers, I hear from Manitobans who are concerned about the wait times that they’re seeing, that they’re experiencing, and those concerns are valid — I share those concerns.”

So what is the NDP, who promised voters nearly three years ago it had the answers to bring down wait times, doing about it?

Read
6:00 AM CDT

Brandon’s Nachtigall comes up short of Canadian Mid-Am title

Mike McIntyre 5 minute read Preview

Brandon’s Nachtigall comes up short of Canadian Mid-Am title

Mike McIntyre 5 minute read 7:52 PM CDT

Evan Nachtigall was about 12-feet away from making history.

But a slippery downhill birdie putt for the win on Friday afternoon in Ontario proved to be a bit too aggressive, leaving the 25-year-old Brandon golfer with a nervy comeback attempt that ultimately fell painfully short.

The resulting bogey, on the 72nd and final hole of play at the Canadian Men’s Mid-Amateur Championship, left him one shot behind playing partner Garrett Rank, who tapped in his par to claim victory.

“It kind of stings,” Nachtigall told the Free Press shortly after finishing up at the Brantford Golf & Country Club. “At the end of the day, second place in my first time playing this event and losing to a guy who’s now won it four times, I guess I’ll have to take it.”

Read
7:52 PM CDT

Kinew’s message for PM: don’t back down

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Preview

Kinew’s message for PM: don’t back down

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Updated: 6:01 PM CDT

Let it be known that when Canada’s provinces and alcohol industries needed a defender, Canada’s first First Nations provincial premier was their greatest warrior.

This is, admittedly, a provocative opening line — referencing historical and cultural intersections and relying on a stereotype or two.

It’s impossible, however, not to see how important the nearly Canada-wide provincial-led ban on the sale of U.S. alcohol is to Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew.

It’s due to his stand on national matters like these that he’s become very popular — according to polls, the most popular premier in Canada — and has been empowered to take on the mantle of one of the captains of “Team Canada” on economic, political and domestic issues.

Read
Updated: 6:01 PM CDT