Jefferson not going anywhere soon Legacy ‘huge’ to Blue Bombers’ dominating defensive end

Quick and painless.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 05/12/2023 (991 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Quick and painless.

That’s how you can sum up Willie Jefferson’s contract negotiation with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

The star defensive end had no desire to leave, and the Bombers were eager to have Jefferson return to the Blue and Gold for a fifth season. The two sides agreed to a one-year contract extension on Monday.

“I’m just happy we were able to get the deal done. No dilly-dally, no hesitations,” said Jefferson, who was all smiles as he addressed reporters at IG Field on Tuesday.

“I knew what I wanted, and the team was ready to give me everything I wanted plus a little bit more. I’m happy. I’m satisfied. All of the above.”

Taylor Allen / Winnipeg Free Press
                                Willie Jefferson says he has faith in the Blue Bombers organization and its ability to attract great players to the team.

Taylor Allen / Winnipeg Free Press

Willie Jefferson says he has faith in the Blue Bombers organization and its ability to attract great players to the team.

Jefferson, who turns 33 next month and represents himself in contract talks, is the first pending free agent to come to terms on a new deal with the club.

The 6-7, 242-pound product of Beaumont, Texas was the Bombers’ Most Outstanding Defensive Player for a third time after posting a team-leading 11 quarterback sacks last season. He was also tied for second in the CFL with three forced fumbles and led the league with 13 pass knockdowns.

Jefferson resides in Winnipeg year-round with his wife, Holly, and their two daughters.

“I still feel like I’m dominant. I’m a problem. It’s going to take more than one guy to stop me from getting to get to the quarterback,” said Jefferson, who started his CFL career in 2014 with Edmonton.

“I knew what I wanted, and the team was ready to give me everything I wanted plus a little bit more. I’m happy. I’m satisfied. All of the above.”–Willie Jefferson

“Even if you bring two or three guys to me, don’t throw the ball my way because I’ll knock the ball down. Until you can stop me, or until I’m tired of playing football, I’m here, I’m in Winnipeg. I don’t plan on going anywhere anytime soon.”

The Bombers have at least 34 players that remain unsigned. Outside of Jefferson, quarterback Zach Collaros, receivers Nic Demski and Kenny Lawler, linebackers Adam Bighill and Kyrie Wilson, guards Tui Eli and Liam Dobson, and defensive back Jamal Parker, mostly everyone else’s future remains uncertain.

Not only that, a large portion of last year’s starters are over the age of 30.

Changes could be coming, and Jefferson knows that, but he’s not stressed.

“It’s cliché, but that’s higher than my pay grade. That’s not something that I need to worry about,” said Jefferson.

“I trust in Darren (Cameron), I trust in Kyle (Walters), I trust in Wade (Miller), I trust in coach (Mike) O’Shea, I trust in our scouts that they’re going to bring in the best guys that they think we can win with in 2024 and hopefully, the guys that are free agents, like myself, choose to make the right decision for themselves.”

THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES/John Woods
                                Jefferson was the Bombers’ Most Outstanding Defensive Player for a third time after posting a team-leading 11 quarterback sacks last season.

THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES/John Woods

Jefferson was the Bombers’ Most Outstanding Defensive Player for a third time after posting a team-leading 11 quarterback sacks last season.

Jefferson also seems to have come to grips with the fact that the Bombers have now lost two straight Grey Cups. It’s been less than a month since the Montreal Alouettes scored in the final seconds to beat the Bombers 28-24 in Hamilton for the 110th Grey Cup and spoil Winnipeg’s aspirations of earning dynasty status.

“I’m not mad. I’m not sad. I’m not disappointed or anything like that. Like I was telling my friends and my family — a lot of guys don’t even make it to a Grey Cup. A lot of guys have amazing careers and never make it to a Grey Cup, never win a Grey Cup,” Jefferson said.

“I’ve had the opportunity to win two back-to-back with a great organization, with some great guys and build some relationships. Going to four Grey Cups and losing the last two, it is what it is. It’s football. You win some, you lose some.”

Jefferson — who is the first player in CFL history with at least 50 career sacks and 50 pass knockdowns — admitted not just his own, but this core’s legacy is a big reason why he had no interest in testing free agency in February.

“When you come to Winnipeg, you already know the vibe. There’s going to be crazy fans in the stands. As soon as you get off the plane, the thing that’s gonna ring in your ears is ‘Come on down to Winnipeg,’” he said.

“You gotta play against our defence, you gotta play against a great offence, you gotta play against an amazing special teams. We got great coaches and it’s hard to win here as an opposing team. I don’t want to leave that and be a part of something else when I was a part of building that, you feel me? So, legacy is huge to me.”

taylor.allen@freepress.mb.ca

X: @TaylorAllen31

Taylor Allen

Taylor Allen
Reporter

Taylor Allen is a sports reporter for the Winnipeg Free Press. Taylor was the Vince Leah intern in the Free Press newsroom twice while earning his joint communications degree/diploma at the University of Winnipeg and Red River College Polytechnic. He signed on full-time in 2019 and mainly covers the Blue Bombers, curling, and basketball. Read more about Taylor.

Every piece of reporting Taylor produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

RCMP, OCN seek mother of dead newborn or fetus

Morgan Modjeski 1 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

The RCMP and Opaskwayak Cree Nation leaders are trying to identify the mother of a newborn baby or fetus found deceased in Umpherville on Monday.

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Preview

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:24 PM CDT

West End business owners say their neighbourhood has been under siege for months, and some believe downtown police drug sweeps have made things worse by pushing more street disorder in their direction — and pushing customers away.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:24 PM CDT

Sunshine Fund guarantees a little magic in the summer

Grace Penner 4 minute read Preview

Sunshine Fund guarantees a little magic in the summer

Grace Penner 4 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

To this day, I still remember the morning polar plunges into Moose Lake — a cold shock to the system meant to wake campers up before the sun hit its peak.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

NDP touts health-care gains, but critics question impact on ER wait times

Tom Brodbeck 6 minute read Preview

NDP touts health-care gains, but critics question impact on ER wait times

Tom Brodbeck 6 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara doesn’t mince words when describing how bad things are in the province’s emergency departments and urgent-care centres.

“The wait times that we are seeing in Manitoba are unacceptable,” said Asagwara in an interview with the Free Press.

“I hear from families, I hear from providers, I hear from Manitobans who are concerned about the wait times that they’re seeing, that they’re experiencing, and those concerns are valid — I share those concerns.”

So what is the NDP, who promised voters nearly three years ago it had the answers to bring down wait times, doing about it?

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Legacy is ‘huge’ to Blue Bombers’ Willie Jefferson

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Preview

Legacy is ‘huge’ to Blue Bombers’ Willie Jefferson

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Tuesday, Dec. 5, 2023

Quick and painless.

That’s how you can sum up Willie Jefferson’s contract negotiation with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

The star defensive end had no desire to leave, and the Bombers were eager to have Jefferson return to the Blue and Gold for a fifth season. The two sides agreed to a one-year contract extension on Monday.

“I’m just happy we were able to get the deal done. No dilly-dally, no hesitations,” said Jefferson, who was all smiles as he addressed reporters at IG Field on Tuesday.

Read
Tuesday, Dec. 5, 2023

Wait times for MRIs getting worse in Brandon, Dauphin

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

BRANDON — Wait times for MRI scans have surged in the Prairie Mountain Health region during the last two years.

Despite a campaign promise by the NDP in September 2023 to increase the number of allied health professionals capable of administering diagnostic imaging in northern and rural areas, wait times for MRIs have increased dramatically in Brandon and Dauphin.

Median imaging wait times tripled at Dauphin Regional Health Centre between 2024 and 2026, increasing from eight to 24 weeks, according to the province’s wait time dashboard.

The Brandon Regional Health Centre median wait times for MRI scans more than doubled during the same period, from nine to 23 weeks.