NDP remakes MLL board with emphasis on public ownership, operation

The taps have been shut off and corks put back in the bottles on any potential move to expand private liquor sales in Manitoba.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 12/12/2023 (980 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The taps have been shut off and corks put back in the bottles on any potential move to expand private liquor sales in Manitoba.

On Tuesday, the new NDP government continued to put its stamp on the boards of provincial Crown corporations, announcing former Tory cabinet minister Bonnie Mitchelson had been replaced as Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries Corp. chairperson.

The government’s mandate letter for the new chair and board members says MLL and other Crowns “belong to the people of Manitoba and should always remain publicly owned and operated.”

Sport, Culture and Heritage Minister Glen Simard, also minister responsible for MLL, said the NDP believes the liquor branch should continue delivering products to consumers “within a public delivery approach,” adding it is also looking to “responsibly expand public liquor retail stores.”

It’s a different approach than the former Tory government’s plan to allow existing beer vendors, liquor retailers and private wine stores to carry a full range of products, as well as a pilot program to allow private retailers (including grocery and convenience stores) to sell alcohol.

“What makes a public organization strong is the same as making a private one strong,” Simard said Tuesday, after the announcement of a new MLL board.

“These public corporations have a mandate to support education through the province, but also the social well-being. And (the profits) help pay for our health system and it employs a lot of Manitobans.”

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES
                                Jeff Traeger, president of UFCW Canada Local 832, which represents workers at local grocery stores, is the new board chair

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES

Jeff Traeger, president of UFCW Canada Local 832, which represents workers at local grocery stores, is the new board chair

Jeff Traeger, president of UFCW Canada Local 832, which represents workers at Manitoba grocery stores, was named chairman of the MLL board of directors.

“This new team is up to the challenge of making sure that Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries can serve Manitobans as a successful, publicly owned Crown corporation,” Simard said in an earlier statement.

Traeger — secretary-treasurer of the Manitoba Federation of Labour, member of UFCW Canada National Council and UFCW International vice-president — said he is eager to begin the job.

“The mandate letter outlines the direction the government wants to go and, as chair, it will be my job to take the organization in the direction the government wants,” he said.

Working with stakeholders to lift a pause on gaming expansion “is important. It is part of economic reconciliation. We need it done in a socially responsible way,” he added.

Traeger said he assured Premier Wab Kinew (who first asked Traeger if he would like to take on the role) he will reduce the amount of time he spends on other areas to ensure the focus needed to be MLL chairman.

“It was very nice to hear from him and nice he has put his confidence in me.”

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS FILES
                                Bonnie Mitchelson is out as chair of Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries.

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS FILES

Bonnie Mitchelson is out as chair of Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries.

Mitchelson, who was first elected in 1986 and served 30 years as a MLA, was appointed board chairwoman last year. The position paid $50,000 annually, as well as out-of-pocket expenses.

Simard replaced former Tory MP Rod Bruinooge as a board member.

Tim Comack, vice-president of Ventura Land Co. and Ventura Developments, continues as vice-chairman after his appointment last year.

The only other returning member is Christine Van Cauwenberghe, head of financial planning for IG Wealth Management.

Other new members include: Michelle Cameron, founder of Dreamcatcher Promotions; Sarah Pinsent-Bardarson, a mental health counsellor for families in the Interlake and a former NDP MLA candidate; and Tannis Mindell, a former deputy minister and first chairwoman of MLL (after the province merged two Crowns into a single entity in 2012).

Since taking power after October’s provincial election, the NDP government also changed the boards at both Manitoba Hydro and Manitoba Public Insurance, retaining only one previous member at each corporation.

kevin.rollason@freepress.mb.ca

Kevin Rollason

Kevin Rollason
Reporter

Kevin Rollason was a general assignment reporter at the Free Press.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Tuesday, December 12, 2023 6:05 PM CST: Adds quotes, details about public delivery and expanding stores.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Volunteer helps keep Nellie McClung’s legacy alive

Tiago Resko 4 minute read Preview

Volunteer helps keep Nellie McClung’s legacy alive

Tiago Resko 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Growing up with ties to the community of Manitou, Gillian Potvin has found great inspiration in the traces of Nellie McClung’s legacy.

The 39-year-old has spent nearly a decade channelling that inspiration back into the community by being a key part of the Nellie McClung Museum of Canada’s marketing and events planning since it opened at 55 Main St., in the southern Manitoba town in 2017.

Utilizing her skills in marketing and digital design for the museum is her way of thanking the woman who fought for the rights she has today and continuing her legacy.

“She helped women to be identified as persons and that’s huge,” she said of the woman born in 1873 and considered one of Canada’s most prominent suffragists. “It’s easy to take for granted some of these rights we now have as women, but there would have been a big fight back in the day to change the things that have always been.”

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Ignore gossip, be good till girlfriend’s back

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: I am lonely to the bone. My girlfriend has been away working for the summer, and I promised I wouldn’t cheat on her. But now I have heard through the grapevine she’s seeing a guy who works at her kids’ camp.

I think the source can be trusted, because she’s a friend who cares about me, almost like a sister. Actually I think she kind of wants me herself, but never seems to cross that line. Should I believe her “inside information” when she might be wanting to go out with me herself?

My girlfriend won’t be back until the very end of August and the messages and phone calls back and forth have been less and less frequent. Maybe she’s just busy or getting rested up to see me — or maybe she’s seeing someone else. I’m feeling jealous and I hate it! Maybe I should see somebody else too. Please advise ASAP.

— Lonely and Suspicious, Transcona

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

An internal investigation by Manitoba’s Families Department is nearly complete in the case of a six-year-old girl who is paralyzed after being assaulted by her foster mother in Winnipeg.

The review by child-welfare officials is intended to prevent similar incidents, but it’s unlikely the public will learn the findings or recommendations.

“We’re working closely with the (child and family services) authority to make sure that every recommendation is taken seriously and implemented,” Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine said Monday.

“They’re important (investigations) because they help us identify what went wrong so we can make those changes to ensure something like this tragedy never happens again.”

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Manitoba man lied about abduction: N.D. police

Scott Billeck 2 minute read Yesterday at 3:17 PM CDT

U.S. authorities say a Manitoba man falsely claimed he had been kidnapped and taken across the Canada-U.S. border over the weekend.

Roderick Garson, 37, is being held in a county jail near Alexandria, Minn., after he was arrested and charged with falsely reporting a crime.

The arrest stems from a report police received Saturday that a man had been abducted with a weapon in Manitoba and taken across the border into the United States.

The investigation led U.S. authorities to Alexandria, about two hours northwest of Minneapolis, where police located the reported victim and suspect after the latter ran into a local store claiming he had escaped from his 31-year-old unnamed captor.

Free fix is in: repair café aims to keep items out of landfills

Tiago Resko 3 minute read Preview

Free fix is in: repair café aims to keep items out of landfills

Tiago Resko 3 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 12:09 PM CDT

Stephen Kirk wants to give people a chance to fix items they’re not ready to let go of.

The Spence Neighbourhood Association staffer took notice when repair cafés started popping up around the world, and he decided to bring the idea to Winnipeg.

The café invites people to bring broken items like bikes, clothes and small kitchen appliances to the association’s headquarters to get free repairs by a team of skilled volunteers.

“Certainly in our neighbourhood, a lot of people’s motivation is economic, they would rather fix it than have to buy a new one,” said Kirk, the environmental and open spaces coordinator for the Spence Neighbourhood Association.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 12:09 PM CDT

Hometown hero hits CEBL championship clinching shot

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Preview

Hometown hero hits CEBL championship clinching shot

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026

Chapter 1 of Winnipeg Sea Bears basketball was capped by hometown hero Chad Posthumus.

It was May 27, 2023, and the late, great centre out of River East Collegiate had a put-back basket off a Teddy Allen miss to give the Sea Bears a 90-85 victory over the Vancouver Bandits in Winnipeg’s inaugural game, in front of what was then a record crowd of 7,303.

So, on Saturday, it was rather poetic that Simon Hildebrandt — another Winnipegger and a player Posthumus used to mentor — was the one to put an exclamation mark on the franchise’s latest and greatest chapter.

Hildebrandt drilled a wide-open three in Target Score Time to crown the Sea Bears as the 2026 CEBL champions.

Read
Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026