City orders Manwin Hotel residents to vacate after fire ‘I’m staying put,’ defiant resident says amid fears some may become homeless

The owner of an infamous Main Street hotel says the city is contributing to homelessness by issuing a vacate order for dozens of tenants.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 22/01/2025 (572 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The owner of an infamous Main Street hotel says the city is contributing to homelessness by issuing a vacate order for dozens of tenants.

The city has ordered 34 residents of the Manwin Hotel to evacuate amid multiple outstanding permit requirements and compliance orders.

“The building was as safe as it was in the summer,” Manwin owner Akim Kambamba said by phone Wednesday afternoon. “Now all of the sudden, the middle of winter, people are told to go and live by the river or in campsites? Is this really Canada?”

Following a fire in a bathroom of the hotel last month, the city’s planning, property and development department ordered tenants vacate the premises no later than Jan. 17. Kambamba filed an appeal to the order, which will be heard Feb. 10.

The city said it will not enforce the vacancy order until the appeal hearing but some tenants say they won’t leave no matter what the outcome is.

“I’m staying put,” said Mark Head, who has lived at the hotel at 655 Main St. since last February following a tenancy at the nearby Sutherland Hotel, which was destroyed by fire last week.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
                                The city has ordered 34 residents of the Manwin Hotel to evacuate amid multiple outstanding permit requirements and compliance orders.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

The city has ordered 34 residents of the Manwin Hotel to evacuate amid multiple outstanding permit requirements and compliance orders.

Head was among fewer than 10 residents left in the building Wednesday.

“Every one of these rooms has somebody’s life in there and it becomes a support network for people,” he said. “I’m not going anywhere.”

The hallways of the hotel were lined with clear garbage bags filled with personal items and drywall scraps Wednesday afternoon. Graffiti marked hallway doors and walls and some rooms had no doors on their hinges.

Kambamba said he was doing renovations to the building when he was served the order, which involved a fire escape that needed repairs and upgrades.

“This order has been outstanding for a while and it takes time and money,” Kambamba said. “It’s an ongoing process and I’m trying … but it’s too cold to be doing this.”

The average temperature in Winnipeg for January so far has been -21 C, with some days dipping below -29 C, Environment Canada data show.

“Every one of these rooms has somebody’s life in there and it becomes a support network for people.”–Resident Mark Head

A provincial spokesperson said Manitoba public health inspectors visited the property on Dec. 30, with representatives from other city departments. At the time, basic amenities such as toilets, sinks, showers, and hot and cold running water were operational, the spokesperson said.

In February 2021, the province temporarily shut the hotel down due to the building having no heat or water.

The 34-room hotel, built in 1882, has been the subject of violence, drug use and homicides in recent years and agencies and advocates have called for its closure.

St. Boniface Street Links executive director Marion Willis was at the hotel Wednesday speaking with tenants and Kambamba about the building’s conditions.

“I’m not suggesting for one minute the Manwin isn’t the hellhole that it is. However, nothing is different today than in spring, summer and the fall,” she said. “The Manwin does need to be shut down, but not in the middle of winter. It’s not about shutting it down and creating a crisis for people.”

Area councillor and chair of community services, Vivian Santos, said she has concerns with the building but wants to ensure the people living there aren’t displaced.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
                                Mark Head has lived at the hotel at 655 Main St. since last February.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Mark Head has lived at the hotel at 655 Main St. since last February.

“With the recent fire that we heard, there are safety concerns now. It’s just uninhabitable. It’s unlivable,” Santos told reporters Wednesday. “I do have lots of concerns with that building in general. I have put on the record many times that the people who are currently living there, we have to ensure that they do not get displaced and become unhoused.”

Fire crews were sent to the hotel at about 7:38 a.m. on Dec. 29 and had the blaze under control within half an hour. The building sustained water, smoke and fire damage.

A Winnipeg Transit bus provided temporary shelter for evacuated residents, and the City of Winnipeg’s Emergency Social Services is helping 16 people find temporary housing support, a city spokesperson said at the time.

Kambamba claimed the fire was mostly smoke and did not pose any real threat to the building or residents.

Prior to issuing the vacate order, the city had been in contact with the Residential Tenancies Branch and the province’s Employment & Income Assistance to offer assistance to tenants, city spokesperson Kalen Qually said in an email.

Tenants were told to seek space at various shelters across the city but many are full and some have found themselves left on the street, Willis and Kambamba said.

 

Willis said she plans to call for a working group with non-profit organizations and city departments to identify buildings like the Manwin so they can be proactive about fixing them and keeping them in livable conditions before they’re condemned.

Kambamba, who has owned the Manwin for 13 years, blames the opening of the Main Street Project shelter next door for his hotel’s reputation. The owner says people locked out from the shelter will wander into his hotel to find warmth and a place to sleep, and trouble often ensues.

Main Street Project’s director of community initiatives Katie Sjoberg said the shelter was informed of the vacate order two weeks ago and made preparations to accommodate and support tenants, including filling out Manitoba Housing applications.

“Until the order’s enforced, we’re going to continue to support everyone there to move towards housing, and in the meantime, make contingencies for them to join our shelter or join other shelters locally,” Sjoberg said.

The hotel has also faced legal trouble in recent years. Main Street Project filed a lawsuit against the hotel’s owner in November 2023 over allegations the slope of the hotel roof allowed rainwater and melting ice to fall onto its office and shelter, causing damage to the property.

— with files from Joyanne Pursaga

nicole.buffie@freepress.mb.ca

Nicole Buffie

Nicole Buffie
Multimedia producer

Nicole Buffie is a reporter for the Free Press city desk. Born and bred in Winnipeg, Nicole graduated from Red River College’s Creative Communications program in 2020 and worked as a reporter throughout Manitoba before joining the Free Press newsroom as a multimedia producer in 2023. Read more about Nicole.

Every piece of reporting Nicole produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Wednesday, January 22, 2025 7:03 PM CST: Changes subhead

Updated on Wednesday, January 22, 2025 7:11 PM CST: Fixes typo

Updated on Thursday, January 23, 2025 10:03 AM CST: Corrects quote attribution

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Preview

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

A Winnipeg foster mother has admitted to violently assaulting her ill foster daughter and leaving her paralyzed after the girl resisted the woman’s efforts to provide her with medication, a court has heard.

Marilyn Keno, 26, pleaded guilty Friday to one count of aggravated assault.

Keno remains in custody and will be sentenced at a later date following the completion of a court-ordered pre-sentence report.

The maximum sentence for aggravated assault is 14 years in prison. Crown attorney Alanna Littman and defence lawyer Jeremy Kostiuk did not disclose what sentences they will be recommending.

Read
Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

Free fix is in: repair café aims to keep items out of landfills

Tiago Resko 3 minute read Preview

Free fix is in: repair café aims to keep items out of landfills

Tiago Resko 3 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

Stephen Kirk wants to give people a chance to fix items they’re not ready to let go of.

The Spence Neighbourhood Association staffer took notice when repair cafés started popping up around the world, and he decided to bring the idea to Winnipeg.

The café invites people to bring broken items like bikes, clothes and small kitchen appliances to the association’s headquarters to get free repairs by a team of skilled volunteers.

“Certainly in our neighbourhood, a lot of people’s motivation is economic, they would rather fix it than have to buy a new one,” said Kirk, the environmental and open spaces coordinator for the Spence Neighbourhood Association.

Read
6:00 AM CDT

Oliveira shines in win over Redblacks, Collaros rocked again

Taylor Allen 6 minute read Preview

Oliveira shines in win over Redblacks, Collaros rocked again

Taylor Allen 6 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

It wasn’t a stellar performance by any stretch.

But at this point, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers will take a win no matter what it looks like.

The Blue and Gold outlasted the winless Ottawa Redblacks 33-21 on a rainy Friday night at Princess Auto Stadium to improve to 5-4.

“It’s great to finally get a win at home for our fans and to go out and play a better game is very encouraging,” said right guard Patrick Neufeld.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Letters, Aug. 17

7 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Be statesmanlike, Pierre

Re: Canadians have moved on, Poilievre hasn’t (Aug. 7); Poilievre’s trade bluster a desperate bid for attention (Aug. 12)

If I were Pierre Poilievre, I wouldn’t be just thinking about becoming the next prime minister. I’d be thinking about legacy in larger terms — meaning how would I ultimately want to be remembered.

And I would want to be remembered as the politician who, even if not having achieved the ultimate goal of becoming prime minister, left the political world as a respected statesman. As such, with respect to trade and the relationship with the United States, I would be guided by the following maxim found in Tom Brodbeck’s Aug. 12 column: The goal should be to maximize Canada’s leverage while reducing its vulnerability.

Where paths cross

Carina Blumgrund 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Every so often, an ordinary moment turns out to be about something else entirely.

I watched two women meet outside a grocery store recently. Neither seemed to know the other. One had dropped a bag, oranges rolling across the wet pavement, and the other bent down without a word to help gather them. It took maybe 40 seconds. They exchanged a few sentences I couldn’t hear, laughed once, and went their separate ways. I don’t think either of them thought about it again.

I did, though. I kept thinking about how neither woman had planned to meet the other that morning. Their separate mornings happened to touch for less than a minute, and then continued on, changed by some small amount neither could probably name.

For a long time, when I thought about what brings people together, bridges were the image that came to mind. Bridges connect two known sides. They’re built on purpose, toward a destination already identified. I still believe in that kind of work. Deliberate bridges, built with intention toward a place meant to be reached, matter enormously.

Men’s recovery home dedicated to ‘homeless hero’ Faron Hall’s memory

Scott Billeck 14 minute read Preview

Men’s recovery home dedicated to ‘homeless hero’ Faron Hall’s memory

Scott Billeck 14 minute read Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

Faron Hall never got the chance to begin recovery. Once heralded as Winnipeg’s “homeless hero” after twice plunging into the Red River to save strangers from drowning, Hall told St. Boniface Street Links executive director Marion Willis shortly before his death in 2014 that he wanted help for his alcoholism.

Read
Friday, Aug. 14, 2026