Critics stunned to learn Manitoba’s new teacher oversight commissioner also leads Saskatchewan educators’ union

A new commissioner tasked with disciplining Manitoba educators for misconduct since the start of the year was doing so while still maintaining her job as head of the Saskatchewan teachers’ union, the Free Press has learned.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 13/02/2025 (553 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A new commissioner tasked with disciplining Manitoba educators for misconduct since the start of the year was doing so while still maintaining her job as head of the Saskatchewan teachers’ union, the Free Press has learned.

Critics call it a major conflict of interest that brings into question the independence and impartiality of Manitoba’s new teacher oversight commission.

“The fact that she’s doing two jobs at once, and one is the head of a teacher union, when you’re supposed to be adjudicating cases involving teacher misconduct, that’s a massive conflict of interest,” said Cameron Hauseman, an assistant professor of educational administration at the University of Manitoba.

SUPPLIED
                                Bobbi Taillefer was still working as the executive director of the Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation while in the role of Manitoba’s Commissioner of Teacher Professional Conduct.

SUPPLIED

Bobbi Taillefer was still working as the executive director of the Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation while in the role of Manitoba’s Commissioner of Teacher Professional Conduct.

“Both the commissioner and the province need to explain what exactly happened here.”

Caught off guard when asked about the conflict, a provincial spokesperson initially indicated Thursday morning the NDP government was unaware Bobbi Taillefer was still working as the executive director of the Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation.

Manitoba Education Minister Tracy Schmidt told the Free Press late Thursday she was informed Taillefer’s last day with the federation will be Friday. That development was contrary to the December newsletter from Samantha Becotte, the president of the Saskatchewan union, who stated Taillefer was expected to be with the federation until March.

Schmidt, who has a background in labour and employment law, defended Taillefer performing both roles and said she didn’t see it as a conflict of interest, adding the new commissioner isn’t representing teachers in Manitoba and hasn’t yet had to weigh in or investigate complaints.

The registry has received five complaints so far, Schmidt said.

“So, at this point, we have no concerns,” she said. “I have full confidence in Mrs. Taillefer in performing this role.”

Taillefer assumed the role of Commissioner of Teacher Professional Conduct on Jan. 6, the same day the Manitoba government rolled out its new certified teacher registry, which indicates whether an educator’s licence is in good standing, suspended or cancelled.

Prior to that, Taillefer provided consultant support, assisted and advised the Education Department on policies and procedures and met with various stakeholders after being named commissioner last fall, Schmidt said.

On Feb. 4, Taillefer posted a note of congratulations on her X social media account, which features an ‘I AM STF’ logo, to the Saskatchewan union for being recognized as a top employer in that province.

When the Free Press contacted STF Thursday to determine her status with the union, two employees confirmed Taillefer remains employed as executive director and has an office in Saskatoon. Taillefer has been in that role since 2021 and represents more than 13,500 educators in Saskatchewan.

Calls to Taillefer’s Saskatchewan office were not returned.

“That’s a massive conflict of interest.”–Cameron Hauseman

As Manitoba’s inaugural commissioner, Taillefer is responsible for overseeing complaints about teacher misconduct and unprofessionalism and uses her discretion to probe or dismiss cases.

“The fact that she’s still working for a teacher union while trying to be the independent commissioner at the same time, those red flags are only raised higher,” Hauseman said. “I just don’t know how you could do that with integrity.”

Progressive Conservative education critic Grant Jackson said the NDP government needs to explain how it is possible for Taillefer — who is supposed to provide transparency, accountability and oversight of Manitoba’s teaching profession — to do so while still advocating for teachers in a neighbouring province.

“What is she focused on right now? Running the Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation or protecting Manitoba students?” Jackson asked.

“Because I would argue that she should be focused — and solely focused — on protecting Manitoba students by successfully delivering and operating the Manitoba teacher registry.

“That’s the purpose of it, and running it off the side of her desk as she winds down with the Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation is a problem, and I think most Manitoba parents would find a problem with that, as well.”

Hauseman said public confidence has been eroded with Taillefer currently serving in competing roles when, ironically, she was brought in to restore confidence in teacher oversight. Critics have long argued Manitoba parents have long been kept in the dark when it comes to disciplinary decisions involving teachers.

The commissioner’s position, along with the registry, were touted as steps that would improve student safety.

“Having the executive director of the Saskatchewan Teacher Federation also serving as the commissioner of our Manitoba teacher registry at the same time — double dipping, if you will — it only magnifies those concerns about accountability and transparency and objectivity,” Hauseman said.

Anne-Marie Robinson, a co-founder of the advocacy group Stop Educator Child Exploitation, was stunned to learn of the situation.

“I have full confidence in Mrs. Taillefer in performing this role.”–Education Minister Tracy Schmidt

“In our research, it’s pretty unequivocal in its common sense that whoever is going to play the role of commissioner has to be truly independent,” Robinson said. “They have to be independent of teacher’s unions and they have to be independent of school boards and they have to be independent of the government of the day.

“It’s puzzling why someone could be both in the role as head of a teacher’s union and also in a role where they’re supposed to act as an independent. That’s something that definitely needs to be clarified.”

Max Jenson was one of nine victims who stepped forward to make accusations against Kelsey McKay, a disgraced former teacher and football coach at Vincent Massey Collegiate and Churchill High School. McKay pleaded guilty in July 2023 to nine counts of sexual assault and two counts of luring his teenage victims, all of whom he coached.

Jenson has spent recent months meeting with child-protection groups and politicians in an attempt to improve a public school system that failed him. He said he had reservations about Taillefer’s hiring, given her close ties to teachers, but had hoped the launch of the registry and hiring of an independent commissioner would improve child safety in schools.

He’s no longer sure, based on the first few weeks of the rollout.

“It’s the fact that it’s so blatantly obvious that her intentions have nothing to do with this registry and what it means and stands by,” Jenson said. “It’s obvious where her loyalties sit. It’s clearly with the teachers and the teachers’ society and not protecting the children and giving the public confidence in our school system.”

jeff.hamilton@freepress.mb.ca

Jeff Hamilton

Jeff Hamilton
Multimedia producer

Jeff Hamilton joined the Free Press newsroom in 2015, reporting on the sports and investigative beats until he left the Free Press in July 2026.

Every piece of reporting Jeff produced was reviewed by an editing team before it was posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Preview

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT

Ninety-four complaints about teacher misconduct were flagged in the 15 months after Manitoba set up an independent office to regulate the profession.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 4 minute read Preview

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 4 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

After soaking up the summer sun, there’s no better time to get a skin checkup.

This weekend, the Mole Mobile will set up shop at three Winnipeg Walmart locations. The mobile clinic, which receives support from the Canadian Dermatology Association, will have certified dermatologists on site to screen suspicious-looking moles or lesions for skin cancer on a first-come, first-served basis.

First launched in 2023 in Ontario, the Mole Mobile is intended to promote prevention and early detection of skin cancer. Last weekend, the clinic visited Brandon, Portage la Prairie and Selkirk, a first for Manitoba.

“We saw a number of patients who had spots that they weren’t sure if they were normal or not,” says Dr. Alexis Botkin, a local dermatologist working the Manitoba Mole Mobile stops. “It was wonderful to provide that skin screening for people who were on a wait list (to see a specialist), as well as those who don’t have a primary care provider.”

Read
6:00 AM CDT

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Preview

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Yesterday at 5:21 PM CDT

The province must take immediate action to increase low staffing levels that are putting Selkirk emergency room nurses at risk, a letter sent to the premier and health minister says.

The letter, sent by the Manitoba Nurses Union and signed by 35 ER nurses, detailed multiple recent incidents at the Selkirk Regional Health Centre. In one case, a nurse was stabbed with a pen by a patient who had been waiting 24 hours for care. In another case, a nurse was bitten by a patient.

“Nurses in that emergency department are extremely frustrated,” said Manitoba Nurses Union president Darlene Jackson. “This is not something that happened in the last month — or overnight — these are problems that have been growing.”

The five-page letter was sent Tuesday to Premier Wab Kinew, Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara and leaders of the Interlake-Eastern Regional Health Authority. It contained 10 requests to improve safety inside the emergency department, including establishing safer nurse-to-patient staffing levels, eliminating the practice of “single physician coverage” in the emergency department and implementing an institutional safety officer around the clock.

Read
Yesterday at 5:21 PM CDT

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 8 minute read Preview

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 8 minute read Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT

A Somali refugee who was twice caught by RCMP assisting in the smuggling of desperate African migrants into Manitoba during the frigid winter — including while out on bail, months after he was first arrested with eight foreign nationals in his vehicle — has admitted he did so for money.

Read
Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT

Carney asks provinces to return U.S. alcohol to stores

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Carney asks provinces to return U.S. alcohol to stores

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:41 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston says Prime Minister Mark Carney has asked provinces to restock American alcohol on their shelves as Canada finalizes a trade deal with the U.S. 

U.S. President Donald Trump announced Tuesday he would put a three-day pause on 50 per cent tariffs that would have hit an array of Canadian goods just after midnight Wednesday.

The two governments are now finalizing the language of the deal.

Carney, who briefed cabinet ministers and premiers about the draft plan Wednesday, said the deal it builds on Canada's existing trade advantages with the U.S.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:41 PM CDT