Desperate crimes call for desperate measures Sick and tired of theft, Winnipeg businesses consider IDing customers, making diners pre-pay

Fed up with shoplifting or dine and dashes, the owners of two Winnipeg businesses are considering asking customers to show identification when they enter, among other extra security measures.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Fed up with shoplifting or dine and dashes, the owners of two Winnipeg businesses are considering asking customers to show identification when they enter, among other extra security measures.

Cathy Landry, who owns the Shiny Company Wpg in Portage Place’s east skywalk, said she started giving it some thought after a man, who claimed he was buying a gift for his girlfriend, stole two necklaces Wednesday.

“If I would have had his ID, he wouldn’t have run out of here. I’m just trying to figure out the best way to deal with this,” Landry said.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS 
Cathy Landry, owner ofThe Shiny Company Wpg, is considering additional security measures to protect her business. She keeps her store’s sliding door partially closed to help screen visitors.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Cathy Landry, owner ofThe Shiny Company Wpg, is considering additional security measures to protect her business. She keeps her store’s sliding door partially closed to help screen visitors.

It’s a balancing act because she doesn’t want to deter potential customers while trying to protect her business from crime.

Landry reported the theft to police and posted surveillance camera images on social media to create awareness about the incident. She installed two cameras last week.

For about two years, Landry has kept her store’s sliding door partially closed against a table to help her screen visitors. Wednesday’s theft happened after she put two necklaces, worth $50, in a gift bag for the man, who then asked to look at rings.

“When I turned my back for a second (to retrieve a display tray), he just grabbed the two necklaces I had packaged nicely for him, and opened the door and ran,” Landry said Thursday.

She has suffered other thefts in the 16 years her business has been downtown. She said crime has become worse in the area, and she feels there is a lack of consequences if and when thieves are convicted, leaving her frustrated.

“The whole time I’ve been downtown, I’ve been waiting for it to get better.”

“The whole time I’ve been downtown, I’ve been waiting for it to get better,” Landry said. “I don’t know what the solution is. It’s very hard. I don’t want to leave downtown, but I’m not sure if I can take much more.”

Winnipeg police foot patrol officers walked by while she spoke to the Free Press. She said Portage Place management sent a notice last week informing tenants that security was increased.

Don Mackenzie, who co-owns Jeffrey’s Restaurant and Lounge, at 1420 Henderson Hwy., said he was looking for solutions after two customers left without paying a nearly $170 bill Saturday.

Mackenzie and his business partner are considering whether to start asking customers to pay when they order, or to install a machine that scans driver’s licences and other forms of identification at the door, similar to what is already used in the controlled entrances at Liquor Marts, and in some bars or lounges.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS 
The owner of the Shiny Company installed cameras about a week ago.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

The owner of the Shiny Company installed cameras about a week ago.

Neither is a step Mackenzie wants to take, but he’s prepared to go further to prevent crime-related losses during tough economic times.

“We’ve got to come up with something. We’re not sure what yet,” said Mackenzie, who also co-owns Johnny’s Maples Pizza at 670 Sheppard St.

“Do we pull a McDonald’s or A&W and say, ‘OK, what would you like,’ and then make everyone pay first? We’ve got some solid regulars and we’re not going to make them, but then how do you pick and choose?”

Mackenzie doesn’t want to deter new and returning customers from visiting.

Jeffrey’s usually employs security staff on Fridays and Saturdays. The restaurant occasionally posts surveillance camera images on social media to try to identify alleged dine-and-dashers.

“We just eat the cost. If you add them up at the end of the year, it’s in the thousands.”

“We just eat the cost. If you add them up at the end of the year, it’s in the thousands, on top of higher food costs, higher labour costs, and people might not be going out as much in these times,” Mackenzie said.

Mackenzie said the restaurant is offering more promotions, including drink specials and wing and steak nights, to attract customers amid the current economic climate.

Some Manitoba businesses and industry groups reported increases in thefts, property crimes or violence in recent years.

Their concerns led to increased enforcement by police — with a particular focus on repeat offenders — and business security rebates from the Manitoba government.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS 
Jeffrey's Restaurant co-owner Don Mackenzie says he is looking for solutions to dine-and-dashers.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Jeffrey's Restaurant co-owner Don Mackenzie says he is looking for solutions to dine-and-dashers.

Shaun Jeffrey, executive director and CEO of the Manitoba Restaurant and Foodservices Association, said people in the industry regularly talk about how to combat crime, including an increase in dine and dashes.

“We’re continuously trying to work on ways to make our business less susceptible to these problems, but not taking out the hospitality factor,” he said.

The association has advocated for changes to the criminal justice system to address repeat offending.

“The catch-and-release situation that we have here in Manitoba, especially, is just not conducive to holding people accountable for these actions,” Jeffrey said.

A recent Canadian Federation of Independent Business survey found that crime and safety were a top concern for 58 per cent of its Manitoba members, the highest among all provinces.

“Small businesses are dealing with their fair share of problems when it comes to all the economic uncertainty,” said Tyler Slobogian, a Winnipeg-based senior policy analyst with CFIB.

“Crime has been a huge impact for those members we’ve chatted with recently, and it doesn’t seem to be slowing down.”

Some retailers keep their doors locked during business hours to control who enters, he noted.

Slobogian said many CFIB members want harsher penalties for people convicted of organized retail crime or violent retail theft.

Some business owners have spent thousands of dollars on security systems, while upgrades are cost-prohibitive for others, Jeffrey said.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS 
Jeffrey's Restaurant usually employs security staff on Fridays and Saturdays.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Jeffrey's Restaurant usually employs security staff on Fridays and Saturdays.

Mackenzie said cameras were recently installed at Johnny’s Maples Pizza. His business partner applied for the provincial rebate to help cover the cost.

A $10-million fund launched in December.

Businesses are eligible for up to $2,500 per location to offset the cost of new security equipment or property damage repairs on or after Aug. 23, 2024.

A provincial spokesperson said 967 businesses have received the rebate as of March 6, with almost $1.8 million dispersed.

Justice Minister Matt Wiebe said the government also funded additional front-line police officers and created a retail theft initiative.

”When we created our business security rebate program, we partnered with businesses to tailor the program to address the needs of Manitoban businesses, and it shows in the uptake where in three short months,” he said in a statement.

chris.kitching@freepress.mb.ca

Chris Kitching

Chris Kitching
Reporter

Chris Kitching is a general assignment reporter at the Free Press. He began his newspaper career in 2001, with stops in Winnipeg, Toronto and London, England, along the way. After returning to Winnipeg, he joined the Free Press in 2021, and now covers a little bit of everything for the newspaper. Read more about Chris.

Every piece of reporting Chris produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Trustees call for e-scooter safety education

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Preview

Trustees call for e-scooter safety education

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

School trustees are calling on the province to bolster public education around e-bike and e-scooter safety ahead of back-to-school season.

The Manitoba School Boards Association brought members’ concerns about a growing number of students using electronic devices to get to and from classes to the education minister’s office this month.

“There’s a concerning lack of safety knowledge on the part of Manitoba youth,” executive director Alan Campbell said.

Campbell, a long-time trustee in the Interlake School Division, resigned from elected office this summer to run the association that mobilizes school boards and provides them with labour relations support.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Take advantage of hydroelectric potential

Jerry Storie 5 minute read Preview

Take advantage of hydroelectric potential

Jerry Storie 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Manitoba Hydro tells us that we are going to need significant new electricity generation over the coming decades.

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Close to 5,000 net new health-care workers added since 2023 election, province says

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Close to 5,000 net new health-care workers added since 2023 election, province says

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Updated: 4:47 PM CDT

Manitoba has added 4,725 net new health-care workers to the provincial system since the NDP won the October 2023 election, Premier Wab Kinew told reporters Tuesday.

The government’s total includes 370 doctors, 1,464 nurses, 2,152 health-care aides and 607 allied health professionals, a group that includes physiotherapists, dietitians, paramedics, medical lab technologists and others.

Kinew said more doctors and nurses are working in Manitoba than ever before.

“We also know there’s a lot that needs to be done,” he said at a news conference at Seven Oaks General Hospital in northwest Winnipeg.

Read
Updated: 4:47 PM CDT

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

An internal investigation by Manitoba’s Families Department is nearly complete in the case of a six-year-old girl who is paralyzed after being assaulted by her foster mother in Winnipeg.

The review by child-welfare officials is intended to prevent similar incidents, but it’s unlikely the public will learn the findings or recommendations.

“We’re working closely with the (child and family services) authority to make sure that every recommendation is taken seriously and implemented,” Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine said Monday.

“They’re important (investigations) because they help us identify what went wrong so we can make those changes to ensure something like this tragedy never happens again.”

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Officer who shot dog dead after it bit him won’t face charges

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

Officer who shot dog dead after it bit him won’t face charges

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Yesterday at 1:06 PM CDT

A Manitoba First Nations police officer will not face charges for fatally shooting a dog last year, despite the Crown describing the officer’s conduct as “concerning.”

The Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba announced it would not recommend charges Monday, more than a year after the incident was reported to the police watchdog.

A Manitoba First Nations Police Service officer went to a home in Swan Lake First Nation to make an arrest in June 2025, the IIU said. No arrest was made as the person police were looking for was not there. As the officer was leaving, a dog chained outside bit him.

The officer later returned with a carbine rifle and shot and killed the dog.

Read
Yesterday at 1:06 PM CDT

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:28 PM CDT

Two men in electric ankle bracelets who were being monitored by justice officials have been accused in a two-month spree of commercial break-ins, vehicle thefts and other property crimes.

City police have charged one of the suspects and are searching for the second.

About $140,000 worth of property, including trailers, lawn equipment, motorcycles and bicycles, was reported stolen in 13 incidents in Winnipeg and the Rural Municipality of Headingley between April 20 and June 28, the Winnipeg Police Service said.

Both suspects were wearing electronic monitoring bracelets during that time.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:28 PM CDT