Desperate crimes call for desperate measures Sick and tired of theft, Winnipeg businesses consider IDing customers, making diners pre-pay

Fed up with shoplifting or dine and dashes, the owners of two Winnipeg businesses are considering asking customers to show identification when they enter, among other extra security measures.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Fed up with shoplifting or dine and dashes, the owners of two Winnipeg businesses are considering asking customers to show identification when they enter, among other extra security measures.

Cathy Landry, who owns the Shiny Company Wpg in Portage Place’s east skywalk, said she started giving it some thought after a man, who claimed he was buying a gift for his girlfriend, stole two necklaces Wednesday.

“If I would have had his ID, he wouldn’t have run out of here. I’m just trying to figure out the best way to deal with this,” Landry said.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS 
Cathy Landry, owner ofThe Shiny Company Wpg, is considering additional security measures to protect her business. She keeps her store’s sliding door partially closed to help screen visitors.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Cathy Landry, owner ofThe Shiny Company Wpg, is considering additional security measures to protect her business. She keeps her store’s sliding door partially closed to help screen visitors.

It’s a balancing act because she doesn’t want to deter potential customers while trying to protect her business from crime.

Landry reported the theft to police and posted surveillance camera images on social media to create awareness about the incident. She installed two cameras last week.

For about two years, Landry has kept her store’s sliding door partially closed against a table to help her screen visitors. Wednesday’s theft happened after she put two necklaces, worth $50, in a gift bag for the man, who then asked to look at rings.

“When I turned my back for a second (to retrieve a display tray), he just grabbed the two necklaces I had packaged nicely for him, and opened the door and ran,” Landry said Thursday.

She has suffered other thefts in the 16 years her business has been downtown. She said crime has become worse in the area, and she feels there is a lack of consequences if and when thieves are convicted, leaving her frustrated.

“The whole time I’ve been downtown, I’ve been waiting for it to get better.”

“The whole time I’ve been downtown, I’ve been waiting for it to get better,” Landry said. “I don’t know what the solution is. It’s very hard. I don’t want to leave downtown, but I’m not sure if I can take much more.”

Winnipeg police foot patrol officers walked by while she spoke to the Free Press. She said Portage Place management sent a notice last week informing tenants that security was increased.

Don Mackenzie, who co-owns Jeffrey’s Restaurant and Lounge, at 1420 Henderson Hwy., said he was looking for solutions after two customers left without paying a nearly $170 bill Saturday.

Mackenzie and his business partner are considering whether to start asking customers to pay when they order, or to install a machine that scans driver’s licences and other forms of identification at the door, similar to what is already used in the controlled entrances at Liquor Marts, and in some bars or lounges.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS 
The owner of the Shiny Company installed cameras about a week ago.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

The owner of the Shiny Company installed cameras about a week ago.

Neither is a step Mackenzie wants to take, but he’s prepared to go further to prevent crime-related losses during tough economic times.

“We’ve got to come up with something. We’re not sure what yet,” said Mackenzie, who also co-owns Johnny’s Maples Pizza at 670 Sheppard St.

“Do we pull a McDonald’s or A&W and say, ‘OK, what would you like,’ and then make everyone pay first? We’ve got some solid regulars and we’re not going to make them, but then how do you pick and choose?”

Mackenzie doesn’t want to deter new and returning customers from visiting.

Jeffrey’s usually employs security staff on Fridays and Saturdays. The restaurant occasionally posts surveillance camera images on social media to try to identify alleged dine-and-dashers.

“We just eat the cost. If you add them up at the end of the year, it’s in the thousands.”

“We just eat the cost. If you add them up at the end of the year, it’s in the thousands, on top of higher food costs, higher labour costs, and people might not be going out as much in these times,” Mackenzie said.

Mackenzie said the restaurant is offering more promotions, including drink specials and wing and steak nights, to attract customers amid the current economic climate.

Some Manitoba businesses and industry groups reported increases in thefts, property crimes or violence in recent years.

Their concerns led to increased enforcement by police — with a particular focus on repeat offenders — and business security rebates from the Manitoba government.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS 
Jeffrey's Restaurant co-owner Don Mackenzie says he is looking for solutions to dine-and-dashers.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Jeffrey's Restaurant co-owner Don Mackenzie says he is looking for solutions to dine-and-dashers.

Shaun Jeffrey, executive director and CEO of the Manitoba Restaurant and Foodservices Association, said people in the industry regularly talk about how to combat crime, including an increase in dine and dashes.

“We’re continuously trying to work on ways to make our business less susceptible to these problems, but not taking out the hospitality factor,” he said.

The association has advocated for changes to the criminal justice system to address repeat offending.

“The catch-and-release situation that we have here in Manitoba, especially, is just not conducive to holding people accountable for these actions,” Jeffrey said.

A recent Canadian Federation of Independent Business survey found that crime and safety were a top concern for 58 per cent of its Manitoba members, the highest among all provinces.

“Small businesses are dealing with their fair share of problems when it comes to all the economic uncertainty,” said Tyler Slobogian, a Winnipeg-based senior policy analyst with CFIB.

“Crime has been a huge impact for those members we’ve chatted with recently, and it doesn’t seem to be slowing down.”

Some retailers keep their doors locked during business hours to control who enters, he noted.

Slobogian said many CFIB members want harsher penalties for people convicted of organized retail crime or violent retail theft.

Some business owners have spent thousands of dollars on security systems, while upgrades are cost-prohibitive for others, Jeffrey said.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS 
Jeffrey's Restaurant usually employs security staff on Fridays and Saturdays.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Jeffrey's Restaurant usually employs security staff on Fridays and Saturdays.

Mackenzie said cameras were recently installed at Johnny’s Maples Pizza. His business partner applied for the provincial rebate to help cover the cost.

A $10-million fund launched in December.

Businesses are eligible for up to $2,500 per location to offset the cost of new security equipment or property damage repairs on or after Aug. 23, 2024.

A provincial spokesperson said 967 businesses have received the rebate as of March 6, with almost $1.8 million dispersed.

Justice Minister Matt Wiebe said the government also funded additional front-line police officers and created a retail theft initiative.

”When we created our business security rebate program, we partnered with businesses to tailor the program to address the needs of Manitoban businesses, and it shows in the uptake where in three short months,” he said in a statement.

chris.kitching@freepress.mb.ca

Chris Kitching

Chris Kitching
Reporter

Chris Kitching is a general assignment reporter at the Free Press. He began his newspaper career in 2001, with stops in Winnipeg, Toronto and London, England, along the way. After returning to Winnipeg, he joined the Free Press in 2021, and now covers a little bit of everything for the newspaper. Read more about Chris.

Every piece of reporting Chris produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: 8:27 AM CDT

OTTAWA - A last-ditch effort to reach a new trade deal before a midnight tariff deadline failed Friday, as Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

The decision meant new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports to the U.S. took effect at 12:01 a.m., and Carney vowed Canada would retaliate with equal measures of its own.

"In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada's position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.," Carney said in a statement just before Trump's tariff deadline.

"However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians."

Read
Updated: 8:27 AM CDT

Executive exodus continues at Shared Health with three recent departures

Chris Kitching 5 minute read Preview

Executive exodus continues at Shared Health with three recent departures

Chris Kitching 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 4:18 PM CDT

Manitoba’s provincial health authority is looking for its fourth chief financial officer since 2023 and additional replacements after the recent departures of three executives.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 4:18 PM CDT

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

The union representing Winnipeg Transit drivers says the need for full safety shields is critical after an operator was threatened with a hatchet early Thursday.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Preview

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:24 PM CDT

West End business owners say their neighbourhood has been under siege for months, and some believe downtown police drug sweeps have made things worse by pushing more street disorder in their direction — and pushing customers away.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:24 PM CDT

Doctor speaks out, raises alarm over gas plant expansion plans

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read Preview

Doctor speaks out, raises alarm over gas plant expansion plans

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

A retired doctor is raising red flags on Manitoba Hydro’s proposed gas plant expansion in Brandon and the health-related consequences of climate change.

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

A man who fatally stabbed a Ukrainian newcomer in “a random, unprovoked, and senseless act of violence” on the street has been sentenced to 10 years behind bars.

Ethan Gladu, 22, was found guilty of manslaughter in February in the December 20, 2023 killing of Ivan Rubanik, a 46-year-old father of two who had fled to Canada for a better life with his family several months before.

Gladu, then 19, randomly stabbed Rubanik shortly before 8 a.m., near Talbot Avenue and Watt Street, as the victim was walking to work that morning. He died of blood loss soon after.

“The people of Winnipeg, or any community, should feel confident that they can go about their business, walk to work, support their family, and carry on with their lives without being attacked,” said Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne on Thursday afternoon as he sentenced the killer.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026