FreshCo to step into former Sobeys space on Burrows Avenue

Joanne remembers the exact date her go-to grocery store closed for good: Dec. 3, 2016.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Joanne remembers the exact date her go-to grocery store closed for good: Dec. 3, 2016.

The Winnipegger was in the hospital recovering from a surgery when a friend told her the Sobeys at Burrows Avenue and Keewatin Street — a two-minute walk from her house — was shutting its doors.

“I was so disappointed,” Joanne, who did not want her last name published, told with the Free Press on Wednesday.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
                                The former Sobey’s store at 1870 Burrows Ave., which has been closed since 2016, is set to become the location of Winnipeg’s newest FreshCo when it opens this fall.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

The former Sobey’s store at 1870 Burrows Ave., which has been closed since 2016, is set to become the location of Winnipeg’s newest FreshCo when it opens this fall.

The building has sat vacant ever since. Joanne now shops at the Safeway across the street from her old grocery store. She’s missed the convenience of Sobeys though, as she’s visually impaired and has difficulty crossing the busy intersection.

The 73-year-old retiree was thrilled when she learned FreshCo (Sobeys’ discount grocery chain) will open its newest location in the former Sobeys this fall.

Renovations started last month on the 31,000-square-foot space at 1870 Burrows Ave.

“I’ll definitely shop there,” said Joanne, who lives in a nearby housing complex that has many senior residents. “Everybody I’ve spoken to is happy about it.”

Limited full-service grocery options in the area meant residents faced significant barriers to accessing fresh, affordable food nearby, said Sandy Shindleman, founder and chairman of Shindico Realty Inc., which brokered the transaction and manages the property.

“There’s a lot of residential (in the area) and a lot of people that can walk to the site,” he said. “To give them another opportunity and another option to buy things at a lower price point makes us feel good.”

FreshCo consistently ranks as one of the cheapest grocery store chains in the country, according to GroceryPulse.ca. The website tracks a standardized basket of 50 everyday grocery items across major Canadian retailers in 12 cities, including Winnipeg.

“I’ll definitely shop there… Everybody I’ve spoken to is happy about it.”

FreshCo is the fourth cheapest out of eight retailers in Winnipeg, according to GroceryPulse’s latest ranking for the city. Safeway, Sobeys and Real Canadian Superstore are the three most expensive.

Like other FreshCo stores, the Burrows Avenue location will feature an open layout and commitment to quality fresh produce, meat, dairy and pantry essentials at low prices, Shindico announced in a news release.

Coun. Vivian Santos (Point Douglas) described the new store as a win for the community.

“This is fantastic news for the Tyndall Park, Shaughnessy and Burrows neighbourhoods,” she said. “It’s very exciting to see that we’re getting a grocery store put back there after 10 years of not having a grocery store there.”

Santos announced the upcoming FreshCo location on her Facebook page in February. Some constituents commented they’re concerned about what the new store means for the Safeway across the street.

In Canada, the Safeway chain is owned and operated by Sobeys Inc., which is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Empire Co. Ltd.

“I tend to think that competition within the community is good,” Santos said. “Giving that variety to the community, I think, is always going to be the best option for them.”

“Giving that variety to the community, I think, is always going to be the best option for them.”

Vern Hill agrees. He’s lived in the neighbourhood for 26 years and used to shop at the former Sobeys.

“We’re finally getting something there besides (an empty building),” the 64-year-old said. “We can have shopping close by and not have to drive with the price of gas being what it is.”

Sobeys opened its first two Winnipeg FreshCo locations in May 2019. It added four more stores to the city in 2020-21.

aaron.epp@freepress.mb.ca

Aaron Epp

Aaron Epp
Reporter

Aaron Epp reports on business for the Free Press. After freelancing for the paper for a decade, he joined the staff full-time in 2024. Read more about Aaron.

Every piece of reporting Aaron produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Roadside giants towering symbols of Canada’s quirkiness

Jen Zoratti 4 minute read Preview

Roadside giants towering symbols of Canada’s quirkiness

Jen Zoratti 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Could you imagine a Canada without Mr. PG repping Prince George, B.C.? Or the Big Nickel in Sudbury? Or, my personal favourite, Happy Rock in Gladstone?

Earlier this summer, CBC’s Cost of Living looked at the economics of these giant roadside attractions — of which there are more than 1,500 in Canada — and the cost of keeping them.

Some are falling into disrepair — this is why public art funding is necessary, by the way, not just for construction, but maintenance — and some towns are weighing whether or not that money is better spent elsewhere.

The main character of the story: Tyra the Tyrannosaurus, the rather literal symbol of Drumheller, Alta., a.k.a. the Dinosaur Capital of the World since 2000, who could be facing extinction after the lease agreement between the town and the Drumheller and District Chamber of Commerce ends in 2029.

Read
Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Executive exodus continues at Shared Health with three recent departures

Chris Kitching 5 minute read Preview

Executive exodus continues at Shared Health with three recent departures

Chris Kitching 5 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Manitoba’s provincial health authority is looking for its fourth chief financial officer since 2023 and additional replacements after the recent departures of three executives.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Quick quotes: Here’s what people are saying about the Canada-U.S. trade negotiations

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 10 minute read Preview

Quick quotes: Here’s what people are saying about the Canada-U.S. trade negotiations

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 10 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:04 PM CDT

OTTAWA - The United States imposed 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars worth of Canadian exports Saturday, after the two countries failed to reach a new trade deal before an extended deadline imposed by President Donald Trump earlier in the week.

In response, Prime Minister Mark Carney announced Canada will retaliate with matching dollar-for-dollar tariffs. Carney also suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

Here's what people are saying in response: 

——— 

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:04 PM CDT

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Preview

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

West End business owners say their neighbourhood has been under siege for months, and some believe downtown police drug sweeps have made things worse by pushing more street disorder in their direction — and pushing customers away.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 17 minute read Preview

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 17 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

On most days at Health Sciences Centre’s adult emergency department, all 58 treatment beds are filled with sick patients. Another dozen or so brought in by ambulance line the hallways on stretchers, with only one nurse to look after them.

Out in the waiting room, about 30 or 40 people — sometimes more — are slouched in chairs in pain or discomfort, waiting hours to see a doctor. Most have been assessed by a triage nurse, but many will have to wait 10 to 20 hours to be examined by a physician because there’s no room for them in the treatment area.

Some patients leave because they can no longer tolerate the excruciating wait, only to return days later, sicker than they were before.

Welcome to the emergency department at Manitoba’s largest hospital, where some of the highest-acuity patients seek medical care but now face delays that were unimaginable a few years ago.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Preview

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

In February 2025, Manitoba (and most other provinces) pulled American liquor from store shelves as part of the ongoing trade dispute with the United States.

Then in December, the province followed a similar course to others and put American booze that was already on hand back on shelves, selling off inventory that had been wasting away in warehouses for months, and directing proceeds from those sales to charities.

Lineups sprung up at numerous stores as consumers snapped up bestselling American products — think Maker’s Mark, Jack Daniel’s, Apothic Red and the like. After that initial rush, what was left has been languishing on shelves ever since, with many products eventually being drastically discounted for a quick sale, lest they become too long in the tooth.

I decided early on not to write about/review U.S. products in this space until things were well and truly sorted. But a few months back, I found myself in the mood for a big, oaky red wine and — in a moment of weakness, or nostalgia, or maybe just curiosity — I picked up a $30-ish California Cabernet Sauvignon.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT