Blast victim had no help finding dead son, husband

Advertisement

Advertise with us

PLAYA DEL CARMEN, Mexico -- A Canadian woman who lost her husband and nine-year-old son in a weekend explosion at a Mexican resort was left to fend for herself as she tried to track down the bodies of her husband and child, the woman's family says.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $75*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $5.77 plus GST every four weeks. After 52 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

Monthly Digital Subscription

$4.99/week*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 16/11/2010 (5667 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

PLAYA DEL CARMEN, Mexico — A Canadian woman who lost her husband and nine-year-old son in a weekend explosion at a Mexican resort was left to fend for herself as she tried to track down the bodies of her husband and child, the woman’s family says.

Heather Bartzis is criticizing the immediate response of Canadian officials to the tragedy, saying they did little to help her daughter, Terra Charmont, in her darkest hour.

Charmont lost her husband, Christopher, and her young son, John, in what’s believed to have been a gas explosion Sunday at the Grand Riviera Princess Hotel in the beach-lined resort of Playa del Carmen.

Seven people, including five Canadians, were killed in the morning explosion in one of the resort’s lobbies.

The other Canadians killed were Malcolm Johnson, 33, from Nanaimo, B.C. — who was in Mexico for his wedding — Darlene Ferguson, 51, from the Edmonton area; and Elgin Barron, from the Guelph, Ont. area. Several other Canadians were injured.

“We were all very frustrated by the lack of communication and the slowness in… finding out where they had been taken and the lack of support for her.” Bartzis said Monday.

Terra Charmont survived the blast along with her other child, 11-year-old Megan. The Drumheller, Alta., family was in Mexico on vacation. Friends have said they believe the mother and daughter were in the family’s hotel room when the explosion happened.

“She was left on her own to locate them in hospital,” Bartzis said. “It was a very long day for Terra. Something worse could have happened, with her wandering around the city alone with her child, looking for her husband and son.

A spokesman for the Department of Foreign Affairs declined to speak on any specific case linked to the hotel explosion.

— Postmedia News

Report Error Submit a Tip

Canada

LOAD CANADA ARTICLES