Transgender pageant entry disqualified
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $75*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Billed as $5.77 plus GST every four weeks. After 52 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
Monthly Digital Subscription
$4.99/week*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Billed as $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 25/03/2012 (5169 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
VANCOUVER — Vancouver’s Jenna Talackova was everything Miss Universe Canada was looking for when she was selected among 65 finalists for the 2012 competition, to be held in Toronto in May.
But the Donald Trump-owned beauty pageant confirmed Friday that the 23-year-old has been disqualified from the competition. The reason, Talackova claims, is she was born male.
“She did not meet the requirements to compete despite having stated otherwise on her entry form,” stated a Miss Universe Canada release issued on Friday.
“We do, however, respect her goals, determination and wish her the best,” it concludes, without specifying what requirements she did not meet.
Talackova set the blogosphere abuzz earlier this week after it was discovered she had sexual reassignment surgery in 2010.
Her profile and photos from the pageant’s website were subsequently pulled.
The statuesque blond told The Vancouver Province Friday she needs to speak to her lawyer before taking part in interviews.
But Talackova has made statements online over Twitter about being “disqualified for being born.”
By March 18, she had apparently already been told by Miss Universe Canada her place in the competition was in jeopardy.
Two days later, she got the news.
“I’m disqualified, however I’m not giving up,” she wrote, defiantly. “I’m not going to just let them disqualify me over discrimination.”
Responses to her plight posted online have been mixed.
Some have welcomed her inclusion in the competition, while others believe such pageants are for women born as women.
Miss Universe Canada contestants must meet a basic requirement of being a Canadian citizen and between the ages of 18 and 27 to compete.
They also must not be married or pregnant and have to fill out a more comprehensive form if they meet the basic requirements.
There is no mention of rules regarding sex changes or cosmetic surgery.
— Postmedia News