Trudeau says CBSA will decide whether Iran soccer team can enter Canada
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 24/05/2022 (1546 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
VANCOUVER – Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada Border Services Agency will be the department that decides whether Iran’s men’s soccer team is allowed into the country for a game next month.
Canada is set to host Iran in a friendly match in Vancouver on June 5, but controversy about the game has swirled and Trudeau said last week that the event was ill advised.
Speaking to media in Vancouver on Tuesday, the prime minister said his view has not changed.
“I’ve expressed my concern that I think this game was a bad idea. I can assure you that Sport Canada has not delivered any funding for this game,” he said. “And in terms of the ability of those players to come to Canada and the teams to come to Canada, the border services agencies make professional and independent decisions on eligibility for people to come to Canada.”
Among critics of the game are families of passengers killed when Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752 was shot down by an Iranian surface-to-air missile on Jan. 8, 2020. The Canadian government says 55 Canadian citizens and 30 permanent residents were among the 176 people killed.
Conservative MP Melissa Lantsman released a letter on Thursday, saying the federal government is “making communities relive the grief and trauma” of the crash by inviting Iran to play in Vancouver.
“The last thing that our country should be doing is engaging in cordial dialogue with an oppressive and dangerous regime,” she wrote.
Both Lantsman and the Association of Families of Flight PS752 Victims have called for the game to be cancelled.
Canada Soccer issued a statement last week saying that it is focused on preparing the men’s national team to compete on the world stage.
“At Canada Soccer we believe in the power of sport and its ability to bring people from different backgrounds and political beliefs together for a common purpose,” the statement said. “Iran is one of 32 participating member associations at the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 and Canada Soccer continues to follow all international protocols in staging this match.”
Canada, ranked 38th in the world, and No. 21 Iran are both preparing for the FIFA World Cup in Qatar this November.
Canada is also set to host Curacao in CONCACAF Nations League A play in Vancouver on June 9.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 24, 2022.