Accused killer lived in Barrie, Ont., encampment with two victims: police

Advertisement

Advertise with us

BARRIE - Two men who were murdered and dismembered and their alleged killer once all lived at the same homeless encampment, police in Barrie, Ont., said Tuesday in an update on what has been described as one of the force's largest investigations.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/08/2025 (356 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

BARRIE – Two men who were murdered and dismembered and their alleged killer once all lived at the same homeless encampment, police in Barrie, Ont., said Tuesday in an update on what has been described as one of the force’s largest investigations.

During a tight-lipped news conference, police would not say how the accused is alleged to have killed 45-year-old William ‘Blake’ Robinson and 41-year-old David ‘Kyle’ Cheesequay, or what his motive may have been.

Police said their investigation ramped up on July 30 when they received a tip about a missing person, which led them to an encampment in a large wooded area bordered by Victoria, John and Anne streets in Barrie.

Barrie Police Service communications supervisor Jennett Mays, left to right, police Chief Rich Johnston, Sgt. Brett Carleton and Staff Sgt. Jason Fearon provide an update on a homicide case in Barrie, Ont., on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2025. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Vanessa Tiberio
Barrie Police Service communications supervisor Jennett Mays, left to right, police Chief Rich Johnston, Sgt. Brett Carleton and Staff Sgt. Jason Fearon provide an update on a homicide case in Barrie, Ont., on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2025. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Vanessa Tiberio

Investigators later expanded their search to a rural property in Huntsville, Ont., and a home in North Simcoe County, where they collected evidence, said Barrie police Chief Rich Johnston.

Human remains were found at both the Barrie encampment and the Huntsville property, police said without providing any further details.

Robinson was last heard from in January, the same month he’s now believed to have been killed, while Cheesequay was reported missing at the end of July, according to police.

Robert Ladouceur, 52, was arrested earlier this month in Midland, Ont., with help from provincial police.

The suspect faces more than 30 charges, including first- and second- degree murder, indignity to a dead body and various drug-related charges. None of them have been tested in court.

The suspect and the two victims knew each other and lived in the encampment at some point over the past two or three years, police said.

“What began as a missing person investigation in January of this year has grown into one of the largest investigations Barrie police have ever had,” said Sgt. Brett Carleton.

The killings are believed to be targeted, with no further suspects or victims associated with the case. Police also say the suspect was previously known to them.

The suspect was denied bail at his first court appearance, according to police, with his next appearance scheduled for Friday.

“This remains an ongoing investigation and if any information comes forward that leads investigators to believe there are additional suspects, victims or criminal events, those will absolutely be addressed,” the police chief said Tuesday.

Johnston said the alleged crimes are shocking and “exceedingly rare” in the community.

Police say there is no threat to public safety as their investigation continues.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 26, 2025.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Canada

LOAD CANADA ARTICLES