New Coalition Avenir Québec leader and Quebec premier will be chosen April 12

Advertisement

Advertise with us

QUÉBEC - The Coalition Avenir Québec will choose Premier François Legault's successor on April 12. 

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 22/01/2026 (212 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

QUÉBEC – The Coalition Avenir Québec will choose Premier François Legault’s successor on April 12. 

The party says the leadership race starts today and candidates have until Feb. 21 to submit their application.

To enter the race, candidates must get signatures from 1,000 party members from at least 75 ridings, including 15 legislature members and 100 members of the party’s youth wing. 

Quebec Premier François Legault walks to a news conference to announce his resignation in Quebec City, on Wednesday, Jan. 14, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jacques Boissinot
Quebec Premier François Legault walks to a news conference to announce his resignation in Quebec City, on Wednesday, Jan. 14, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jacques Boissinot

The party says voting will be conducted by telephone using a system in which voters rank their choices in order of preference.

Legault said last week that he would step down as party leader and premier after a successor is named.

No candidate has officially come forward, but ministers Simon Jolin-Barrette, Bernard Drainville and Christine Fréchette are among those who have confirmed they’re considering a run.

Ministers who decide to run will have to relinquish their portfolios.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 22, 2026.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Canada

LOAD CANADA ARTICLES