Quebec government sued after it cancelled Christian event over anti-abortion concerns
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
QUÉBEC – A Quebec government cabinet minister has taken the stand in a civil case over her decision to cancel an event in 2023 because she thought it would promote anti-abortion views.
British Columbia-based Harvest Ministries International is suing the provincial government for $80,000 and seeking a declaration from the Superior Court that the Christian group’s Charter rights were violated by the cancellation.
Housing Minister Caroline Proulx defended her decision to block the “Faith, Fire, Freedom Rally” at Quebec City’s provincially owned convention centre in 2023, when she was responsible for the tourism portfolio.
She says she was shocked to discover anti-abortion “misinformation” on the group’s website.
The Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms, which is representing the plaintiffs, says the matter at issue is whether a religious organization can be denied access to a publicly owned venue because of its beliefs.
The Quebec government maintains that the right to freedom of religion and non-discrimination applies only to individuals, not to legal entities.
Earlier in the day, Pastor Arthur Lucier, founder of Harvest Ministries International, testified that the Quebec City gathering was not an anti-abortion event, but rather a reconciliation event between the founding peoples of the Canadian federation.
Lucier told the court he was informed three weeks before the event that the rental agreement had been cancelled and said he approached 50 other venues without success, calling the situation “heartbreaking” for those who wanted to attend.
Superior Court Justice Alain Trudel is hearing the case at the Quebec City courthouse, where lawyers will make their final arguments on Tuesday.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 23, 2026.