Frank Stronach’s second sexual assault trial postponed to May 2027

Advertisement

Advertise with us

TORONTO - Canadian businessman Frank Stronach's second sexual assault trial has been pushed back to next year.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $75*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $5.77 plus GST every four weeks. After 52 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

Monthly Digital Subscription

$4.99/week*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

TORONTO – Canadian businessman Frank Stronach’s second sexual assault trial has been pushed back to next year.

Stronach, who is currently awaiting a decision in his Toronto sexual assault case, was previously set to stand trial in nearby Newmarket, Ont., this fall.

Court heard Wednesday that the jury trial is now set to start in May 2027 and expected to last four weeks.

Frank Stronach, left, arrives at the 361 University Ave. courthouse in Toronto, on Tuesday, February 17, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Laura Proctor
Frank Stronach, left, arrives at the 361 University Ave. courthouse in Toronto, on Tuesday, February 17, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Laura Proctor

Several days of motions, including an application to sever the case into more than one trial, are scheduled in January and March.

Stronach, the founder of car parts manufacturer Magna International, was charged in 2024 with 18 offences involving 13 complainants, but the case was split in two later that year.

The Toronto trial involved 12 charges from seven complainants, but prosecutors have since decided to only proceed with seven charges from four complainants.

The judge overseeing that trial, Superior Court Justice Anne Molloy, has also said she cannot convict Stronach on two charges related to one of the remaining complainants.

Molloy, who is hearing the case without a jury, said she hopes to have her decision at the next hearing in June.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 22, 2026.

Note to readers:This is a corrected story. A previous version misstated when the Newmarket trial is set to begin.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Canada

LOAD CANADA ARTICLES