Demolition underway at Tumbler Ridge school, site of B.C. mass shooting
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
TUMBLER RIDGE – Demolition is underway at Tumbler Ridge Secondary School in northern British Columbia, the site of a deadly mass shooting earlier this year.
Photos posted to social media show excavators clawing at the building, tearing down the outside walls and revealing pink insulation, with scraps of metal piled to one side of the school.
Eight victims died in the Feb. 10 mass shooting by 18-year-old Jesse Van Rootselaar, including her mother and brother who were killed in the nearby family home, then five children and an educational assistant at the school.
Police say Van Rootselaar then killed herself as officers closed in.
The demolition comes after the provincial and federal governments pledged funding for a new secondary school at a different location.
The governments said in a joint press release on May 7 that Peace River South School Board requested help after consulting victims, families, community members and experts.
The release said help was requested to build a new school and “to ensure the current school is removed quickly and in a trauma-informed way.”
Stu Bell, who shared photos of the demolition to social media on Monday, said in the post that he was “feeling a massive amount of relief.”
“The building must go,” said Bell, describing himself as a former student at the school and now a parent of teenagers in the community.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 17, 2026.