‘Beyond what’s humanly acceptable’: Testimony ends at Quebec long-term care inquest

Advertisement

Advertise with us

MONTREAL - As an inquest into 47 deaths at a Montreal long-term care home during the pandemic's first wave heard its final witness Tuesday, the coroner summed up the horror stories of dehydrated, unfed and soiled residents being left to die.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/10/2021 (1761 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

MONTREAL – As an inquest into 47 deaths at a Montreal long-term care home during the pandemic’s first wave heard its final witness Tuesday, the coroner summed up the horror stories of dehydrated, unfed and soiled residents being left to die.

“What we’ve heard in the past weeks goes beyond what is humanly acceptable in a society like ours,” coroner Géhane Kamel said. “In effect, no human should end their lives in such deplorable conditions.”

Kamel, who is examining the failings at Résidence Herron as part of a broad investigation of 53 deaths at six long-term care homes and one seniors residence in the province, has concluded the factual portion of her inquiry. She will next hear recommendations before filing a final report.

A Quebec coroner reminded an inquest into deaths at a privately-owned Montreal long-term care home that both the regional health authority and the care home's management were responsible for the care of vulnerable patients. Flowers are shown outside Maison Herron, a long term care home in the Montreal suburb of Dorval on April 12, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes
A Quebec coroner reminded an inquest into deaths at a privately-owned Montreal long-term care home that both the regional health authority and the care home's management were responsible for the care of vulnerable patients. Flowers are shown outside Maison Herron, a long term care home in the Montreal suburb of Dorval on April 12, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes

Lynne McVey, head of the regional health board that took control of Herron on March 30 as COVID-19 cases mounted, testified that authorities did what they could to save lives.

Appearing before the inquest for a second time, McVey was questioned Tuesday about why it took so long to realize how many people had died at the private facility.

She said the information was only discovered on April 10 after additional verifications. The inquiry has heard that no one appeared to be tabulating deaths at the suburban Montreal facility.

McVey told the inquiry she was scared when she learned that at that point there had been 31 deaths, prompting Kamel to interject that there should have been an accounting earlier.

“If we had the choice between saving lives and registering deaths, I don’t think you can fault nurses on the ground for going to a bedside rather than registering deaths,” McVey said.

She was also questioned about the timing of a 911 call to police, coinciding with a Montreal Gazette report that appeared outlining horrifying conditions at the residence. One day later, provincial officials announced the 31 deaths.

Kamel also noted the 911 call came after health authority staff had been on site for two weeks.

McVey said perhaps she should have called police earlier, but she acted after several pieces of information came to light, including the 31 deaths and a report about a disorganized pharmacy counter at the residence.

“Calling the police isn’t a crime, and it’s a certainly a situation we’d never gone through in our careers,” McVey said. “We found 139 patients with zero staff, it was unthinkable.”

McVey also defended a letter sent to Herron management that informed them the regional health authority was assuming management on March 30. When Kamel said the letter left little room for collaboration, McVey described the situation as “desperate times (that) called for extreme measures.”

She noted the situation at Herron was different than other residences where the health authority had assisted and owners handed over staff lists and patient files within an hour.

Later, asked by the lawyer representing some deceased Herron residents whether she took responsibility, McVey put the blame on the virus. “COVID-19 is the most devious virus I’ve had to deal with in my clinical career,” she told the inquiry. “The virus has a large responsibility in these deaths.”

She later told families she was sorry for the deaths, that the objective had been to provide care to residents.

“We went there to help, and we would have really wanted to save everybody,” she said. “There are 18 witnessesthat came through here and many of them are still very traumatized by not being able to save the lives that we wanted to save during the pandemic.”

Earlier Tuesday, Kamel said she was tired of finger-pointing between health authority managers and Herron officials, noting both sides were accountable and responsible for the vulnerable patients under their care.

The health authority’s deputy director also took the stand for the first time during the inquest.

Najia Hachimi-Idrissi testified that the health authority was unable force three doctors assigned to Herron, who were seeing patients through telemedicine as COVID-19 cases mounted, to treat patients on site.

She also maintained the health authority could not oblige unionized employees to report for work at Herron, which is why non-unionized managers were the first to arrive at the understaffed facility to help.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 26, 2021.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

NDP touts health-care gains, but critics question impact on ER wait times

Tom Brodbeck 5 minute read Preview

NDP touts health-care gains, but critics question impact on ER wait times

Tom Brodbeck 5 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara doesn’t mince words when describing how bad things are in the province’s emergency departments and urgent-care centres.

“The wait times that we are seeing in Manitoba are unacceptable,” said Asagwara in an interview with the Free Press.

“I hear from families, I hear from providers, I hear from Manitobans who are concerned about the wait times that they’re seeing, that they’re experiencing, and those concerns are valid — I share those concerns.”

So what is the NDP, who promised voters nearly three years ago it had the answers to bring down wait times, doing about it?

Read
6:00 AM CDT

Five-way tie for first means Manitoba Open is still up for grabs

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Five-way tie for first means Manitoba Open is still up for grabs

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read 9:28 PM CDT

Garrison Smith isn’t sure why he’s playing the best golf of his life up in Canada this summer.

But the 26-year-old Texan has a very tasty theory.

“You know, I did have poutine here (Thursday) night. And I had some in New Brunswick, too,” Smith said Friday as he grabbed a share of the lead at the midway point of the Manitoba Open at Elmhurst.

He may be on to something.

Read
9:28 PM CDT

Seniors left hanging during Bell MTS outage: property manager

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Preview

Seniors left hanging during Bell MTS outage: property manager

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Updated: 5:02 PM CDT

Shelly Durham said when it comes to many of her elderly tenants of a downtown highrise apartment, their landline is their lifeline.

That lifeline was disconnected Tuesday after a copper cable that provides telephone service was cut Tuesday during construction work.

“It could be a matter of life and death,” said Durham, the building manager at Broadview Manor. “That’s the scary part.”

Manitoba Hydro spokesperson Peter Chura said a contractor working for the utility contacted the underground communications cable while installing a streetlight cable.

Read
Updated: 5:02 PM CDT

Around the NSL: Wild week; Playoff race heats up; Roses bounce back

Grace Anne Paizen 4 minute read Preview

Around the NSL: Wild week; Playoff race heats up; Roses bounce back

Grace Anne Paizen 4 minute read 6:34 PM CDT

It was another Wild week in the Northern Super League — and talk about slaying giants.

Calgary defended its home pitch last Saturday and defeated the league-leading Ottawa Rapid 4-3 at McMahon Stadium.

For the Wild faithful who have stuck with the club all season, this one was for you.

The home side came out firing, barraging Mollie Eriksson and Melissa Dagenais with 16 shots towards the net, with nine of those shots on target.

Read
6:34 PM CDT

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Preview

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Updated: 8:25 AM CDT

A long-awaited project will aim to add 115 new homes in Elmwood, with on-site social programs to support some of its more vulnerable residents.

Read
Updated: 8:25 AM CDT

Vance weighs in on Jivani trade advocacy and how Carney tried to ‘out-tough’ Trump

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Vance weighs in on Jivani trade advocacy and how Carney tried to ‘out-tough’ Trump

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: 8:49 AM CDT

WASHINGTON - U.S. Vice-President JD Vance weighed in on the latest trade deal with Canada at a fundraising event Wednesday, saying Prime Minister Mark Carney tried to "out-tough" President Donald Trump while crediting his longtime friend Conservative MP Jamil Jivani as a helpful advocate for Canada.

In audio from the fundraiser in Southampton, N.Y., which was provided to The Canadian Press by a source who attended the private function, Vance said Carney is a "very sweet guy" and he gets along with him quite well.

But, Vance said, Carney "comes in and puffs his chest out and says, 'I'm going to, like, out-tough Donald Trump.'"

"It's hilarious because Carney presents this as some victory for Canada when fundamentally, like, they climb down on a lot of issues," Vance told the room.

Read
Updated: 8:49 AM CDT