Manitoba traffic down at Emerson-Pembina border, U.S. tourism officials nervous

Tourism leaders in North Dakota have a close eye on the Canada-U.S. border, as they brace for the likelihood of fewer Manitoba visitors this year.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 07/04/2025 (501 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Tourism leaders in North Dakota have a close eye on the Canada-U.S. border, as they brace for the likelihood of fewer Manitoba visitors this year.

Data collected by U.S. border officials suggests the number of people using the Pembina-Emerson land crossing was down 17 per cent during the first two months of 2025, compared to the same period last year.

Data for March is not yet available, but the early slump has placed Charley Johnson, president and CEO of Visit Fargo-Moorhead, on alert as he and others lobby Congress for support.

“We think it’s going to be an issue, and I don’t know that there is anything we can do about it, except tell people that we still welcome Canadians here in North Dakota and Minnesota and we hope that they can find their way here sometime again soon,” Johnson told the Free Press.

SUPPLIED
The early slump in visitors has placed Charley Johnson, president and CEO of Visit Fargo-Moorhead, on alert as he and others lobby the U.S. Congress for support.
SUPPLIED

The early slump in visitors has placed Charley Johnson, president and CEO of Visit Fargo-Moorhead, on alert as he and others lobby the U.S. Congress for support.

Johnson travelled to Washington, D.C., last week to share tourism concerns with a congressional delegation. He was joined by about 400 other people from across the U.S., he said.

“Obviously, these things were a big topic of discussion,” he said. “That’s kind of the message we delivered, that we just feel like Canadians are not particularly happy with us and probably aren’t going to be coming down and spending money with us in the near future.”

Visit Fargo-Moorhead, which is funded by a lodging tax paid for by visitors who stay in area hotels, has fielded calls from local businesses reporting fewer Canadian licence plates in their parking lots, Johnson said.

“It’s not a count, but it’s a pretty (bad) sign,” he said. “We’re anticipating a definite reduction in Canadian visits.”

His organization has launched a survey to collect more data on tourism traffic, and determine its impact, he said.

A review of data from the U.S. Department of Transportation showed 22,816 personal vehicles entered the U.S. at the Pembina-Emerson crossing between Jan. 1 and Feb. 28. Those vehicles carried 49,794 passengers.

From Jan. 1 to Feb. 29, 2024, 26,402 personal vehicles used the crossing, bringing 60,234 people into the U.S.

The numbers do not account for commercial vehicles used for international trade.

Before this year’s slump, the number of such crossings rose year-over-year since the beginning of 2020, when cross-border travel was nearly halted due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the data shows.

Results from a Travel Health Insurance Association of Canada survey, released Monday, showed 61 per cent of Canadians have made travel plans this year, but 70 per cent of them said they are unlikely to visit the U.S. due to the political climate.

According to the survey results, 57 per cent of respondents said they would not travel to the U.S. because of the tariff dispute, 51 per cent attributed it to that country’s political leadership and 34 per cent said the Canadian dollar is too weak.

The U.S. has historically been Canada’s most popular travel destination due to its proximity, the association said.

Speaking from the grounds of the Manitoba legislature, where the provincial government hosted a Rally for Canada Sunday, 61-year-old Mary Lou said she was among those opting not to travel south.

MALAK ABAS / FREE PRESS
Speaking from the grounds of the Manitoba legislature Sunday, Mary Lou (left) with friend Shelley Moore, said she was among those opting not to travel south.
MALAK ABAS / FREE PRESS

Speaking from the grounds of the Manitoba legislature Sunday, Mary Lou (left) with friend Shelley Moore, said she was among those opting not to travel south.

“I had a trip planned down to Fargo to go to a concert, and we cancelled. We’re out the ticket money for the Bruce Cockburn concert — and he’s Canadian… but I don’t want to pay into their economy, I’m going to stay in Winnipeg and go to local events here, put my money here,” she said, carrying a large Canada flag alongside her friend Shelley Moore.

“And who knows what’ll happen? What if you get your car keyed? We don’t know how they’re going to treat Canadians going down.”

Stephanie Schoenrock, executive director of Visit Minot, stressed her state and city remain open for business and welcoming to Canadians.

“We fully recognize that now might not be the time, and that’s OK,” Schoenrock said. “It’s not like we are coming to the table with a hard sell, saying, ‘Get here, Get here.’ We’re not. I think we respect our friends to the north more than that.

“When the time is right, we’re still going to be there.”

TIM SMITH / THE BRANDON SUN FILES
                                “When the time is right, we’re still going to be there,” said Stephanie Schoenrock, executive director of Visit Minot.

TIM SMITH / THE BRANDON SUN FILES

“When the time is right, we’re still going to be there,” said Stephanie Schoenrock, executive director of Visit Minot.

Some American businesses contacted by the Free Press said they are not yet feeling a fiscal pinch from missing Manitobans.

“I haven’t really noticed too much of a difference,” said Olivia Jones, who works in guest services at downtown Fargo’s Hotel Donaldson.

“It does kind of seem like it’s gone down this year a little bit, I would say, but it hasn’t been a crazy drop or anything.”

The boutique hotel is a popular destination for Manitobans, who visit mainly in the summer, she said.

Billie Kitzman, a staff member at the Brewhalla market and hotel in Fargo, said there hasn’t been a noticeable drop in Manitoba visitors.

“It’s just kind of stayed the same,” she said.

—With files from Malak Abas

tyler.searle@freepress.mb.ca

Tyler Searle

Tyler Searle
Reporter

Tyler Searle is a multimedia producer who writes for the Free Press’s city desk. A graduate of Red River College Polytechnic’s creative communications program, he wrote for the Stonewall Teulon Tribune, Selkirk Record and Express Weekly News before joining the paper in 2022. Read more about Tyler.

Every piece of reporting Tyler produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Monday, April 7, 2025 9:26 PM CDT: Corrects for data refers to personal vehicles, not commercial.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 4 minute read Preview

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

This weekend, the Mole Mobile will set up shop at three Winnipeg Walmart locations. The mobile clinic will have certified dermatologists on site to screen suspicious-looking moles or lesions for skin cancer.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read 12:25 PM CDT

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
12:25 PM CDT

Elders bless, open city’s first urban all-season sweat lodge

Nicole Buffie 3 minute read Preview

Elders bless, open city’s first urban all-season sweat lodge

Nicole Buffie 3 minute read 4:20 PM CDT

Indigenous Winnipeggers now have access to sweat lodge ceremonies all year long.

On Friday Ka Ni Kanichihk unveiled Winnipeg’s first urban, all-seasons sweat lodge. The organization will hold ceremonies throughout the year, giving people who live in the city equitable access to the sacred ritual.

“We’re now going to be able to offer ceremony for relatives that can’t access a sweat ceremony outside the city because of financial restraint or that kind of thing,” said Wally Chartrand, a cultural advisor for Ka Ni Kanichihk.

The sweat lodge itself is enclosed in a cedar-panelled building equipped with washrooms and benches. Outside the building is a fire pit enclosed with a seating area and plants which are used as traditional Indigenous medicine during the ceremonies.

Read
4:20 PM CDT

Judge decries ‘senseless acts’ during sentencing for killers in Berens River manslaughter

Erik Pindera 4 minute read Preview

Judge decries ‘senseless acts’ during sentencing for killers in Berens River manslaughter

Erik Pindera 4 minute read 4:37 PM CDT

Two men have admitted their guilt in the beating death of a 45-year-old father in Berens River First Nation last winter.

Michael Oliver Franklin, 32, and Thomas Bryton Goosehead, 24, pleaded guilty to manslaughter Thursday in the Feb. 13, 2025 killing of Leslie Neil Mason.

“These types of senseless acts happen far too often in Berens River and every other small community in Manitoba, including here in Winnipeg,” Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne said.

The men had been charged with second-degree murder, but admitted to the lesser offence as part of a plea bargain struck between their defence lawyers and Crown prosecutor Thomas Boult, largely due to concerns with the strength of the case Boult developed after meeting with witnesses in Berens River.

Read
4:37 PM CDT

NDP touts health-care gains, but critics question impact on ER wait times

Tom Brodbeck 5 minute read Preview

NDP touts health-care gains, but critics question impact on ER wait times

Tom Brodbeck 5 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara doesn’t mince words when describing how bad things are in the province’s emergency departments and urgent-care centres.

“The wait times that we are seeing in Manitoba are unacceptable,” said Asagwara in an interview with the Free Press.

“I hear from families, I hear from providers, I hear from Manitobans who are concerned about the wait times that they’re seeing, that they’re experiencing, and those concerns are valid — I share those concerns.”

So what is the NDP, who promised voters nearly three years ago it had the answers to bring down wait times, doing about it?

Read
6:00 AM CDT

Winnipeg’s postwar architecture well-documented by online archive

Conrad Sweatman 5 minute read Preview

Winnipeg’s postwar architecture well-documented by online archive

Conrad Sweatman 5 minute read 1:00 PM CDT

We live in a city rich with Chicago School high rises, mid-century modernism and much more. And, for the past three decades, Paul Clerkin has amassed arguably the most comprehensive archive of this architecture.

Read
1:00 PM CDT