July 3, 2020

Winnipeg
25° C, Partly cloudy

Full Forecast

WEATHER ALERT

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Asbestos being removed from Crescentwood mansion

PHIL HOSSACK / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS</p><p>The mansion at 514 Wellington Cres. is currently undergoing asbestos remediation, not demolition, according to the property owner’s lawyer.</p>

PHIL HOSSACK / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

The mansion at 514 Wellington Cres. is currently undergoing asbestos remediation, not demolition, according to the property owner’s lawyer.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 9/7/2019 (360 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

An historic Wellington Crescent mansion given a stay of execution from the wrecking ball last month isn’t being demolished this week — it is having asbestos taken out of it, a spokesman for the owner says.

Lawyer Jamie Kagan, who represents Jeff Thompson — a local business owner who is the director, president and secretary of the numbered company listed as the owner of 514 Wellington Cres. — said Tuesday: "We are not demolishing the house."

"This is ongoing asbestos remediation. My understanding is we had hired contractors some time ago to deal with asbestos abatement issues, and they are finishing the work there," Kagan said. "If we wanted to knock down the house, it could come down in 15 minutes. I’m told the only way in or out is in an abatement suit."

Meanwhile, area residents said they are closely monitoring the site they want to save as part of the city’s proposed Crescentwood heritage conservation district.

Christine Skene, a member of the Save 514 Wellington committee — which last month picketed outside the demolition fences when heavy machinery appeared on the property, prior to the city issuing a stop-work order — said the group again became concerned this week, when workers were seen in the house and loud banging sounds were heard from inside.

Skene said even asbestos remediation work should be stopped while the legal issues are sorted out, because the City of Winnipeg has notified the group Thompson is appealing the stop-work order and the proposed heritage conservation district designation.

"Our concern is saving the exterior, but we’d also like this house to be lived in," she said. "There’s no work to be done in the house. You can’t take anything apart.

"We’ve spoken to the planning department, and they have referred it to a bylaw officer."

Skene said now that the area has been nominated as a heritage conservation district, fines for demolishing a building within its borders are now a minimum of $1,000 per day, and up to $1 million.

The structure, known as Gordon House, was built in 1909 for James Thomas Gordon (1859-1919), a legislator and executive with the Winnipeg Exposition Company, Dominion Exposition, and Winnipeg Livestock Exchange.

In recent years, it was the home of Sen. Douglas Everett (1927-2018), who sold it to Thompson in 2016.

The 8,000-square-foot house is assessed by the city at $1.2 million.

kevin.rollason@freepress.mb.ca

Kevin Rollason

Kevin Rollason
Reporter

Kevin Rollason is one of the more versatile reporters at the Winnipeg Free Press. Whether it is covering city hall, the law courts, or general reporting, Rollason can be counted on to not only answer the 5 Ws — Who, What, When, Where and Why — but to do it in an interesting and accessible way for readers.

Read full biography

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.

To those who have made donations, thank you.

To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.

The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.

After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.

If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.

We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.

History

Updated on Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 10:34 PM CDT: Adds related items

The Free Press will close this commenting platform at noon on July 14.

We want to thank those who have shared their views over the years as part of this reader engagement initiative.

In the coming weeks, the Free Press will announce new opportunities for readers to share their thoughts and to engage with our staff and each other.

You can comment on most stories on The Winnipeg Free Press website. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

By submitting your comment, you agree to abide by our Community Standards and Moderation Policy. These guidelines were revised effective February 27, 2019. Have a question about our comment forum? Check our frequently asked questions.

Advertisement

Advertise With Us