December 12, 2019

Winnipeg
-14° C, Partly cloudy

Full Forecast

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Mayor believes Wab Kinew's apologies are sincere

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 20/9/2017 (813 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Winnipeg Mayor Brian Bowman waded into the Wab Kinew controversy Wednesday when he told reporters he believes the newly minted NDP leader is sincere in his efforts to apologize for his troubled and violent past.

During a question-and-answer session with reporters following the weekly executive policy committee meeting at city hall, Bowman said he wouldn't comment on the new allegations that Kinew’s public admissions don’t match up with court records of his misdeeds, but said he supports Kinew.

PHIL HOSSACK / FREE PRESS FILES</p><p>Winnipeg's mayor and Wab Kinew have a history together.</p>

PHIL HOSSACK / FREE PRESS FILES

Winnipeg's mayor and Wab Kinew have a history together.

"I won’t speak to the allegations made in the last week directly, but the Wab Kinew I have known... is somebody who I believe is sincere in his regret of some of his actions in the past and I believe he’s trying to make amends for that," Bowman said.

Although from different political backgrounds, Bowman and Kinew have a history together: Bowman picked Kinew in June 2015 to chair the then-new advisory body on Indigenous issues, the Mayor’s Indigenous advisory circle.

At the June 2015 news conference, Bowman said he and Kinew, who was at that time still a broadcaster and university administrator, had spent the previous several months working together to invite the other individuals to join the advisory circle.

 

"Redemption is possible, and when someone offers what I view is a sincere apology, then I wish him and anybody in that position all the very best," Bowman said. "I wish him well in his role as Leader of the Opposition and I wish him well in the personal journey that he continues on and tries to make amends."

aldo.santin@freepress.mb.ca

 

Aldo Santin

Aldo Santin
Reporter

Aldo Santin is a veteran newspaper reporter who first carried a pen and notepad in 1978 and joined the Winnipeg Free Press in 1986, where he has covered a variety of beats and specialty areas including education, aboriginal issues, urban and downtown development. Santin has been covering city hall since 2013.

Read full biography

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

History

Updated on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 2:50 PM CDT: fixes typo

You can comment on most stories on The Winnipeg Free Press website. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

By submitting your comment, you agree to abide by our Community Standards and Moderation Policy. These guidelines were revised effective February 27, 2019. Have a question about our comment forum? Check our frequently asked questions.

Advertisement

Advertise With Us