The fort was constructed by the Hudson's Bay Company in 1835.
It served as the centre for trade in Western Canada and is considered the birthplace of Manitoba.
Louis Riel established a provisional government inside the fort's walls during the winter of 1869-70, which led to the formal establishment of Manitoba as a province.
The fort was demolished piecemeal over time, and all that remains of the original structure is the gate.
City hall owned much of the property, including a surface parking lot. The land was declared surplus in 2006, and tentatively sold to a developer for a highrise project. But intense lobbying by the Friends of Upper Fort Garry, with support from the provincial government, pressured the city to sell the property to the Friends.
The province later bought out a gas station at the corner of Broadway and Main Street and gave the property to the Friends to complete the park site. A formal declaration of the land as a provincial park was done in 2009.
What's next for Upper Fort Garry:
Formal opening of the park is set for June.
Come November, construction on the park's heritage wall, at the west end of the site, is set to be completed. The wall tells the history of the fort.
The heritage wall will form one of the exterior walls of the interpretive centre, a 30,000-square-foot facility to be built in phases beginning in 2017.
Also in 2017, a 60- to 70-stall underground parking garage will be constructed to replace the temporary surface gravel lot approved by the downtown development committee.