Lobendahn odd man out in new Blue ‘D’

Club opting to go with Canadian at MLB

Advertisement

Advertise with us

When a Canadian of Doug Brown's ability retires, there are ripple effects, and on Friday, Joe Lobendahn got caught in the wake.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $75*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $5.77 plus GST every four weeks. After 52 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

Monthly Digital Subscription

$4.99/week*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Opinion

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 05/05/2012 (5131 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

When a Canadian of Doug Brown’s ability retires, there are ripple effects, and on Friday, Joe Lobendahn got caught in the wake.

Blue Bombers GM Joe Mack released Lobendahn on Friday, as the CFL club has decided to go with a Canadian at middle linebacker and use an American on the defensive line, where Brown was a ratio-changer for so long.

Henoc Muamba, the first-overall pick in the 2011 CFL Draft, will battle veteran Pierre-Luc Labbe for the starting role when the Bombers open training camp.

“With Doug retiring, we needed to make some decisions about our ratio,” Mack said Friday afternoon after delivering the news to Lobendahn. “I’ll be up front with you, I’m heartbroken. Most of the time, 90 per cent of the time, you love this job, but this is one of the times that breaks your heart. I really liked Joe as a person and as a leader in our room. Before he got hurt last year, you could have made a case for him as the defensive MVP. But you almost have to be like a general. A general may have to leave some wounded behind to do what’s best for the total army. We were just left with no alternative.”

Lobendahn joined the Bombers in 2008 and played in 45 games, making 180 tackles and 20 special-teams tackles. The middle linebacker was viewed as the heir apparent to Barrin Simpson, but injuries prevented him from having a similar impact. Lobendahn had seven sacks and one interception during his time with the Bombers.

“I’m not happy, but it’s part of the business. I want to thank the Bombers for the opportunity and tell the fans that I loved playing here. I wanted to retire here,” said Lobendahn. “They have to do what they think is best for the team, but I don’t have to like it. There’s not much more to say.”

Lobendahn says he’ll retire if need be, but will first look for work in the CFL.

“Hopefully, someone gives me a chance. Yeah, I’ve been hurt, and that’s what happens in this game,” said the 29-year-old, who has now had three surgeries on the same knee. “But I still want to play and think I can.”

Mack said team doctors didn’t rule out Lobendahn from playing, but weren’t hopeful.

“The facts were too compelling and the ratio thing was just staring us in the face,” said Mack. “When we didn’t get (Jabar) Westerman in the draft, there just doesn’t look like there’s any other way for us to get a Canadian on the field but at middle backer.”

Muamba missed the first seven games of his rookie season due to injury and Labbe started at middle linebacker for the Bombers in both the Eastern Final and Grey Cup last season. Labbe is a durable and consistent veteran while Muamba has more upside.

“Muamba is a first-overall pick and he’s athletic. He was a striker in college,” said Mack. “Labbe doesn’t make mistakes. You take players in the first round with the hopes they’ll become starters, but they’ll have to fight it out in camp and we’ll see who steps up.”

In other news, the Bombers also released non-import defensive back Jerry-Ralph Jules while signing import receiver Jeremy Blount and import defensive back David Pender Jr.

Pender played in three games for the Indianapolis Colts in 2010 and was a three-year starter at Purdue, where he collected 129 career tackles and three interceptions.

gary.lawless@freepress.mb.ca Twitter: @garylawless

Report Error Submit a Tip

Columnists

LOAD COLUMNISTS ARTICLES