July 6, 2020

Winnipeg
25° C, A few clouds

Full Forecast

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Manitoba registers 20th case of COVID-19 on Sunday

A new community screening drive-thru is open in south Winnipeg at Manitoba Public Insurance Bison Drive Service Centre MPI. Daniel Crump / Winnipeg Free Press.

A new community screening drive-thru is open in south Winnipeg at Manitoba Public Insurance Bison Drive Service Centre MPI. Daniel Crump / Winnipeg Free Press.

The Free Press has made this story available free of charge so everyone can access trusted information on the coronavirus.

Support this work and subscribe today

Public health officials announced late Sunday afternoon an additional probable case of COVID-19 had been identified, bringing the number of lab-confirmed positive and probable positive cases in Manitoba to 20. 

Case 20, involving a man in his 40s who lives in Winnipeg, is related to travel, the province said.

Earlier Sunday, Manitoba’s top public health official advised against non-essential travel outside Manitoba, including to another province, after confirming that one case is connected to a trip to B.C.

Dr. Brent Roussin said Sunday the majority of the cases are connected to travel to Europe, Asia and the United States, but one case has been linked to inter-provincial travel. 

Of the 20 probable and confirmed cases, one probable case’s origin is still under investigation, Roussin said.

He reminded people returning from travel, including via land border from the U.S. — and by vehicle, to self-isolate for 14 days. He said that includes not going out to shop for food. 

He said with students now out of school for a three-week break, due to the virus, parents should refrain from making playdates for their children. 

A new community screening drive-thru opens in south Winnipeg at the Manitoba Public Insurance service centre on Bison Drive Saturday. Employees vacated the premises earlier this week to make way for the testing facility. (Daniel Crump / Winnipeg Free Press)</p>

A new community screening drive-thru opens in south Winnipeg at the Manitoba Public Insurance service centre on Bison Drive Saturday. Employees vacated the premises earlier this week to make way for the testing facility. (Daniel Crump / Winnipeg Free Press)

About 3,600 people have gone to a screening site since March 9, after being referred by Health Links. Not everyone was tested for the virus. 

Roussin repeated that people who do not have symptoms should not seek testing. 

On Saturday, 2,300 calls were made to Health Links; the average wait time was 47 minutes.

Lanette Siragusa of Shared Health said: "We feel well-prepared.. We need to get through this together."

Saturday news conference

On Saturday, Manitoba reported two cases of the virus: a woman in her 50s and a woman in her 30s, both of Winnipeg. That brought the total number of probable and confirmed cases in the province to 19.

Both cases are believed to be related to travel.

Roussin said Saturday that although the number of cases had increased — as was expected because testing had ramped up — there is no evidence of community transmission in the province.

At a news conference Saturday morning, Manitoba Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin urged Manitobans to continue social distancing, saying "we are not helpless" against COVID-19. (Daniel Crump / Winnipeg Free Press)</p>

At a news conference Saturday morning, Manitoba Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin urged Manitobans to continue social distancing, saying "we are not helpless" against COVID-19. (Daniel Crump / Winnipeg Free Press)

Of the 19 cases, only one person had been admitted to hospital; that person remains in stable condition, Roussin said.

Roussin was firm that Manitobans must follow public health orders to help keep the situation under control.

"Now is the time to act," Roussin said. "It’s not business as usual."

Siragusa also called attention to Grade 7 and 8 students at Brandon’s King George School, who earlier in the week sent cards to health-care workers across the province thanking them for their work to respond. "It’s a small gesture from the public, but it’s these kinds of gestures that inspire frontline staff working long hours to keep going," she said.

On Friday, the Manitoba government declared a provincewide state of emergency, announcing the potential imposition of fines for violation of social-distancing recommendations.

Currently, orders include restricting any public gathering — including faith-based events — to fewer than 50 people; requiring retailers to ensure separation of at least two metres between patrons at their facilities; limiting hospitality premises like restaurants or theatres to 50 people or half of total capacity, whichever is less; and closing immediately bingo and gaming centres, as well as gyms and fitness facilities.

As those facilities close up, the province is opening more testing facilities, where tests for the virus can be administered to people who require testing according to HealthLinks, which received 2,200 calls Friday with an average wait time of 49 minutes; earlier in the week, wait times reached as high as two hours, Siragusa said.

All of the 300 tests administered Friday came back negative, Roussin said. More negative results came after tests administered overnight, he said.

Lanette Siragusa, chief nursing officer for Shared Health. Mikaela MacKenzie / Winnipeg Free Press files

Lanette Siragusa, chief nursing officer for Shared Health. Mikaela MacKenzie / Winnipeg Free Press files

In addition to the testing facilities opened last week, on Saturday the province opened Winnipeg’s first drive-through testing facility at the Manitoba Public Insurance service centre on Bison Drive. Siragusa emphasized these testing facilities require referrals. Those who don’t have a referral can’t show up and get tested.

People who should ask about getting tested are those who’ve returned from international travel and developed symptoms related to COVID-19, Roussin said. Anyone returning to the province from an international locale is advised to self-isolate for 14 days, regardless of whether they have any symptoms.

As of Saturday, the province had tested more than 3,300 samples at the Cadham Provincial Laboratory, Roussin said, and lab workers are essentially working around the clock to keep up with the demand. Siragusa said more than 3,400 people visited the province’s community area testing sites, including 403 on Friday.

In Steinbach, where a drive-thru test facility was set up, 54 people visited on Friday. And HealthLinks has introduced an interactive voice response screening tool online. HealthLinks’ online assessment tool had 20,000 interactions Friday, and over 200,000 since it launched earlier in the month.

For Manitobans who don’t require testing or vital services, the recommendation is to stay home. "Stay home if you’re sick, stay home if you can," Dr. Roussin said.

As it stands, the province’s public health order doesn’t yet apply to workplaces, he added, though that could be subject to change. In the meantime, Roussin said he recommends employers evaluate best practices, discourage large gatherings and encourage remote work if possible.

Asked why the order doesn’t apply to businesses, Roussin said there were several considerations in play, including the potential of widespread job losses.

Both Siragusa and Dr. Roussin emphasized the importance of the public getting their information from reliable sources, and encouraged Manitobans to be engaged and to take precautions seriously.

"We will get through this together," Siragusa said.

ben.waldman@freepress.mb.ca

Ben Waldman

Ben Waldman
Reporter

Ben Waldman covers a little bit of everything for the Free Press.

Read full biography

Maggie Macintosh

Maggie Macintosh
Reporter

Maggie Macintosh reports on education for the Winnipeg Free Press. Funding for the Free Press education reporter comes from the Government of Canada through the Local Journalism Initiative.

Read full biography

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.

To those who have made donations, thank you.

To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.

The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.

After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.

If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.

We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.

History

Updated on Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 6:08 PM CDT: Updates for second new case, bringing Manitoba's COVID-19 total to 19

10:46 PM: Edited

March 22, 2020 at 11:26 AM: Adds Sunday news conference details

12:02 PM: Adds factbox and photo

12:21 PM: Adds B.C. angle

4:50 PM: adds 20th case

The Free Press will close this commenting platform at noon on July 14.

We want to thank those who have shared their views over the years as part of this reader engagement initiative.

In the coming weeks, the Free Press will announce new opportunities for readers to share their thoughts and to engage with our staff and each other.

You can comment on most stories on The Winnipeg Free Press website. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

By submitting your comment, you agree to abide by our Community Standards and Moderation Policy. These guidelines were revised effective February 27, 2019. Have a question about our comment forum? Check our frequently asked questions.

Advertisement

Advertise With Us