Valour coach likes new format

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Some big changes have been made to the Canadian Premier League for the 2020 campaign.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 21/02/2020 (2369 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Some big changes have been made to the Canadian Premier League for the 2020 campaign.

In Year 1, the CPL had a 10-game spring season and an 18-game fall season. The winners of each would then meet in a championship series. Or, if the same team won both seasons (which was the case with Cavalry FC), they’d be matched up against the squad with the next-highest point total over the span of both seasons.

Well, whether you agreed with that format or not, it’s been tossed out the window.

Mike Sudoma / Winnipeg Free Press files
Valour head coach and general manager Rob Gale likes the fact his club has a more balanced schedule to start the 2020 season.
Mike Sudoma / Winnipeg Free Press files Valour head coach and general manager Rob Gale likes the fact his club has a more balanced schedule to start the 2020 season.

The CPL, now an eight-team league thanks to expansion club Atlético Ottawa, revealed its 2020 schedule on Friday. The biggest takeaway is the league now has a single-table format with a 28-game schedule, with the top three teams advancing to the post-season. The first seed will have a bye to the final and the other two teams will play in a semifinal match.

Valour FC general manager and head coach Rob Gale approves of the change.

“I think this makes it more like every league around the world where you need to be consistent and the top teams should come out on top. I think that’s better, rather than a quick schedule,” Gale said.

The schedule will also be more fan friendly. Valour’s calendar features one Friday night match, seven Saturday matchups and four Sunday games, with more than 90 per cent of CPL matches being played on holidays or weekends in 2020.

Valour kicks off Year 2 on the road against York9 FC on April 17. Winnipeg’s professional soccer team will play their home opener at IG Field on May 2 against Atlético Ottawa.

Other notable matches include a Canada Day meeting at home against Forge FC and a Labour Day weekend matchup against Cavalry FC at IG Field on Sept. 6. Valour will close out the season at TD Place on Oct. 4 against Ottawa. The full schedule is available on Valour’s website.

Last year, Valour opened the season with five games in two and a half weeks. Gale said this year’s schedule is a big improvement.

PHIL HOSSACK / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES
Valour FC Head Coach Rob Gale.
PHIL HOSSACK / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES Valour FC Head Coach Rob Gale.

“Obviously, one of the biggest hurdles that people don’t appreciate is that some stadiums are multi-use. It’s very hard to balance everybody’s needs and schedules,” he said.

“I think they’ve done a really good job and they listened to fans’ demands for more weekend games, less weekday games, especially in the fall.”

taylor.allen@freepress.mb.ca

Twitter: @TaylorAllen31

Taylor Allen

Taylor Allen
Reporter

Taylor Allen is a sports reporter for the Winnipeg Free Press. Taylor was the Vince Leah intern in the Free Press newsroom twice while earning his joint communications degree/diploma at the University of Winnipeg and Red River College Polytechnic. He signed on full-time in 2019 and mainly covers the Blue Bombers, curling, and basketball. Read more about Taylor.

Every piece of reporting Taylor produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Friday, February 21, 2020 9:27 PM CST: Adds photo

Report Error Submit a Tip

Sports

LOAD SPORTS ARTICLES