Bombers post $7M loss after cancelled season

Advertisement

Advertise with us

THIS was no blindside hit.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 29/03/2021 (1972 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

THIS was no blindside hit.

The Winnipeg Football Club saw it coming but there was nothing they could do to get out of the way.

Last May, the Free Press published a story predicting a cancelled 2020 CFL season could put the Blue Bombers on the hook for as much as $10 million. On Monday, the WFC released its annual financial report revealing an overall loss of $9.7 million. The club was able to soften the blow thanks to $3.1 million from the federal government’s CERB program, but still finished the year sacked for a loss of $7 million. In their Grey Cup-winning season in 2019, the WFC was $589,000 in the black.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS files 
Blue Bombers president and CEO Wade Miller.
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS files Blue Bombers president and CEO Wade Miller.

“Obviously, 2020 was disappointing for live sports and entertainment across this country and many other industries, and we were one of the industries that got impacted severely by this,” WFC president and CEO Wade Miller told the Free Press.

“We’ve moved forward and have a plan out of this going past 2021.”

Miller told the Free Press last week the organization is putting its final touches on the IG Restart Plan, the framework for a 2021 season with limited fans in the stands. It’s not yet known what percentage of fans could be allowed to attend a game at IG Field this year, but it’s unlikely it’ll be anywhere close to a full house. With limited ticket sales and all the associated costs of having a season, in addition to everything that goes into meeting COVID-19 protocols, it’s difficult to imagine the next financial report will look much different.

Miller was asked if the Bombers anticipate losses in 2021 to be even higher.

“No, we’re getting ready to play with fans in the stands and have done a lot to make adjustments where we can, throughout our business across the league to get through 2021,” he said.

“We knew in 2020 that this was going to be a challenging year as well.”

With no TV money from the CFL’s deal with TSN and no events taking place inside IG Field, the team’s revenue dropped 89 per cent, a grand total of $32.3 million. Operating expenses were $13.7 million, a decrease of $19.1 million, with $3.4 million of that going to the cost of running an empty stadium. The decrease in operating expenses is attributed to laying off staff, pay cuts and not having to pay players for a season. From pre-COVID to now, the WFC’s full-time staff has been slashed by 41 per cent. Miller said it’s unlikely they’ll be hiring in the immediate future.

Miller wouldn’t say how big a cut he, general manager Kyle Walters, or head coach Mike O’Shea took, but described them as “significant.”

“There were great people that we weren’t able to retain and we’ve adjusted our business model as a part of our plan heading into 2021 and beyond,” Miller said.

“We have a great team here. The people that are a part of this team, even before this, but now, are strong individuals that will work hard and we’ll make adjustments in our business and move forward.”

One positive is that the majority of their sponsors, corporate partners, and season ticket members from the 2019-20 campaign have remained on board for this year according to Miller. But that won’t be enough to prevent the club from diving into its operating reserve, which had a balance of $4.6 million on Dec. 31, 2020. At the end of 2020, the club’s net assets sat at $5.9 million, which includes the money from the reserve. On Dec. 31, 2019, the WFC’s net assets were $12.9 million.

“Well, I can share with you in September of this year, it was the first time the Winnipeg Football Club was debt-free since 1992. That lasted a couple of months and we’ve taken on additional financing and we’re going to get through this,” he said.

Last summer, Miller pressed for Winnipeg to be the host of a shortened 2020 season played inside a bubble. The CFL tentatively selected Winnipeg before ultimately pulling the plug on the season. Miller said the time and resources put into the bubble plan had no impact on the financial statement. He believes game planning for the bubble helped them prepare for their IG Restart Plan.

Since the bubble and overall season fell through, the club didn’t collect entertainment tax or facility fees to have an excess cash balance. In a normal year, that money goes toward a stadium payment which is typically more than $2 million. Miller is confident games will be played in 2021 and that a stadium payment will be made this year.

While the numbers paint an uphill battle, Miller assures the organization will be able to bounce back.

“We went into this under some really solid financial footing. That’s going to help us get through this and we’ll work through this.”

taylor.allen@freepress.mb.ca

Twitter: @TaylorAllen31

Taylor Allen

Taylor Allen
Reporter

Taylor Allen is a sports reporter for the Winnipeg Free Press. Taylor was the Vince Leah intern in the Free Press newsroom twice while earning his joint communications degree/diploma at the University of Winnipeg and Red River College Polytechnic. He signed on full-time in 2019 and mainly covers the Blue Bombers, curling, and basketball. Read more about Taylor.

Every piece of reporting Taylor produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Monday, March 29, 2021 4:30 PM CDT: Fixes typo in headline (adds "s" to Bomber)

Updated on Tuesday, March 30, 2021 8:46 AM CDT: Clarifies that Miller believes game planning for the bubble helped them prepare for their IG Restart Plan

Report Error Submit a Tip