Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 15/5/2019 (812 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The Manitoba Junior Hockey League has approved the sale of the OCN Blizzard to a pair of The Pas-area businessmen, the league announced Tuesday.
In mid-January, OCN announced it had sold the franchise, which had struggled to remain financially viable in recent years and was to be mothballed following the 2016-17 season before being revived, to a group of investors — Arthur Barbeau, Usman Tahir and Salman Safdar.
Tuesday's announcement from the league did not include Barbeau in the ownership group.
"They amended their agreement with the then-current owner dropping the other gentleman. I don't know anything about why that happened," said MJHL commissioner Kim Davis.
Meanwhile, the club also announced that Lori Laithlin will return to serve as governor for the Blizzard, which finished 10th overall in the MJHL with a 18-40-2 record and out of the playoffs.
An ownership transfer requires a three-quarters approval, or nine votes, from the league's 11 teams.
Davis also confirmed said the purchase agreement included a provision the club will remain in the area and play at Gordon Laithlin Memorial Centre for at least the next 10 seasons.
Meanwhile, the club has also announced the return of Greg Hunter to the team. Hunter was appointed general manager last week and is in the process of hiring a replacement for Jamie Corbett, who served as GM and head coach in 2018-19.
"We've kinda nailed it down to a certain few (candidates) and we're in the process of finalizing things," said Hunter via telephone. "We should have an announcement by the time next week rolls around."
Mike has been working on the Free Press sports desk since 2003.