Suspect charged with murder after mother of two killed by stray bullet in Toronto

Advertisement

Advertise with us

TORONTO - A 32-year-old man was charged with second-degree murder Thursday in the death of a woman killed by a stray bullet in Toronto as her husband thanked "courageous bystanders," police and other first responders for their swift work.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 13/07/2023 (1135 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

TORONTO – A 32-year-old man was charged with second-degree murder Thursday in the death of a woman killed by a stray bullet in Toronto as her husband thanked “courageous bystanders,” police and other first responders for their swift work.

Karolina Huebner-Makurat, a 44-year-old mother of two, was killed while walking in Toronto’s Leslieville neighbourhood last Friday shortly past noon, an incident that rattled the community.

Damian Hudson, a Toronto resident, has been arrested and charged with second-degree murder, police said in a written statement.

A 32-year-old man has been arrested and charged with second degree murder over the death of a woman who was killed by a stray bullet during a shooting in Toronto's east end last week. Police say 44-year-old Karolina Huebner-Makurat , shown in this undated handout photo, was killed while walking in the Leslieville neighbourhood in Toronto. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO - Toronto Police Service
A 32-year-old man has been arrested and charged with second degree murder over the death of a woman who was killed by a stray bullet during a shooting in Toronto's east end last week. Police say 44-year-old Karolina Huebner-Makurat , shown in this undated handout photo, was killed while walking in the Leslieville neighbourhood in Toronto. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO - Toronto Police Service

Toronto police spokesperson Stephanie Sayer confirmed that Hudson was out on bail when he was arrested. Court documents obtained by The Canadian Press also show that Hudson has a criminal record.

He was charged in 2021 with assault causing bodily harm and failing to comply with a probation order issued in 2019. He was also charged with two counts of assault in March of last year and with failing to comply with the same probation order.

Huebner-Makurat’s husband, Adrian Makurat, issued a statement Thursday expressing his “heartfelt gratitude to the brave and compassionate individuals,” including bystanders, who attempted to save his wife after the shooting.

Makurat said those “heroic efforts in such a challenging and distressing situation will forever be remembered and cherished,” while extending his gratitude to first responders and Toronto police.

Makurat thanked everyone who has reached out to his family, and he requested privacy as they deal with the “shocking turn our lives have taken.”

Officers were called to the scene on Friday following reports of a physical alternation between three men, police said.

“Two of the males brandished handguns and discharged them at each other,” police said.

Huebner-Makurat “was walking in the area and was struck by a stray bullet,” and the suspects fled on foot, the police statement further said.

Police have asked for the public’s help in identifying two additional suspects, who have both been described as male and between the ages of 18 and 25.

Leslieville residents set up a makeshift memorial for Huebner-Makurat shortly after her death, laying flowers, candles and notes mourning her death.

Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow commented on the killing on Monday, two days before she formally took office, extending her condolences to Huebner-Makurat’s family and calling what happened a “horrible tragedy.”

“The challenge before me when I become mayor is to find ways to end gun violence and all types of violence,” Chow said.

Publicly available police data – current as of Saturday – shows reported shootings are at a five-year low, dating back to 2019.

So far this year, there have been 153 reported shootings or firearm discharges, compared to a high of 225 in 2020, or the next lowest mark of 187 in 2021.

While homicides and reported shootings are down so far, police data indicate assaults are trending up by about 18 per cent compared to the five-year average by this time of year.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 13, 2023.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Canada

LOAD CANADA ARTICLES