OPP constable charged with sexual assault in incidents involving three women: SIU

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Ontario's police watchdog says a provincial police officer has been charged with sexual assault in separate incidents involving a total of three women.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Ontario’s police watchdog says a provincial police officer has been charged with sexual assault in separate incidents involving a total of three women.

The Special Investigations Unit says Ontario Provincial Police reported an allegation involving the officer and a woman in February, and the other allegations emerged during its investigation.

The SIU says the alleged incidents took place between August 2024 and October of last year.

The logo of the Ontario Special Investigations Unit is pictured in Toronto on Friday, April 12, 2024.  THE CANADIAN PRESS/Arlyn McAdorey
The logo of the Ontario Special Investigations Unit is pictured in Toronto on Friday, April 12, 2024. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Arlyn McAdorey

It says Const. Zahid Javed of the OPP’s Southern Georgian Bay detachment was arrested this morning and faces three counts each of sexual assault and breach of trust.

The watchdog says Javed has since been released on several conditions, including that he not communicate with the complainants.

He is due back in court in Midland, Ont., next month.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 17, 2026.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Canada

LOAD CANADA ARTICLES