Records: Festival gunman had passport, survival guide in car

Advertisement

Advertise with us

LOS ANGELES - The gunman in the deadly California food festival shooting had a passport, clown mask, wilderness survival guide and bottle rockets in his car at the time of the attack, court documents released Thursday show.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 08/08/2019 (2572 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

LOS ANGELES – The gunman in the deadly California food festival shooting had a passport, clown mask, wilderness survival guide and bottle rockets in his car at the time of the attack, court documents released Thursday show.

Authorities said they found the items in Santino William Legan’s parked Honda Accord. Investigators also searched his family’s home in Gilroy, California, as well as his apartment in a remote area of Nevada.

Legan, 19, killed three people, including two children, on July 28 at the Gilroy Garlic Festival. He took his own life during a shootout with police.

FILE - In this July 30, 2019 file photo, Rita Vadnais works at selling
FILE - In this July 30, 2019 file photo, Rita Vadnais works at selling "#GilroyStrong" T-shirts, with proceeds benefiting shooting victims, at Windermere Real Estate in Gilroy, Calif., after a gunman killed two children and a 25-year-old at the Gilroy Garlic Festival the previous weekend. (AP Photo/Haven Daley, File)

Funeral services for one of the victims, 25-year-old Trevor Irby , were held Thursday in Romulus, New York.

The search warrant records also show Legan had a pamphlet from the garlic festival in his car.

Gilroy police referred questions to the FBI, which declined to comment.

Authorities say his motive isn’t known but he had been interested in conflicting violent ideologies.

The FBI says it’s treating the shooting as an act of domestic terrorism because Legan had compiled a “target list” that included religious groups, federal buildings and both major political parties.

Among the other items found in his car were digital devices, California and Nevada license plates, a shotgun, ammunition, a first aid kit and a camouflage pack with a fire shelter tent.

Authorities found an AR-15 assault rifle and three high-capacity magazines in the master bedroom of the family home.

A lawyer for Legan’s family could not be reached Thursday. The family has said they were “deeply shocked and horrified” by his actions.

Report Error Submit a Tip

World

LOAD WORLD ARTICLES