Alleged gang member pleads not guilty in California killings

Advertisement

Advertise with us

PORTERVILLE, Calif. (AP) — A man with alleged ties to a California prison gang pleaded not guilty Tuesday to killing six people, including a teenage mother and her baby, last month at a central California home connected to a rival gang, prosecutors said.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 21/02/2023 (1277 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

PORTERVILLE, Calif. (AP) — A man with alleged ties to a California prison gang pleaded not guilty Tuesday to killing six people, including a teenage mother and her baby, last month at a central California home connected to a rival gang, prosecutors said.

Rural Goshen, a community of about 3,000 people in the agricultural San Joaquin Valley, was stunned by the Jan. 16 massacre.

Angel Uriarte, 35, pleaded not guilty Tuesday and remains held without bail. He had been hospitalized in custody after he was wounded in a shootout with federal agents more than two weeks after the killings.

FILE - This photo provided by the Tulare County Sheriff's Office shows Angel Uriarte. Prosecutors said Uriarte, who has alleged ties to a California prison gang, pleaded not guilty Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2023, to killing six people, including a teenage mother and her baby, last month at a central California home connected to a rival gang . (Tulare County Sheriff's Office via AP, File)
FILE - This photo provided by the Tulare County Sheriff's Office shows Angel Uriarte. Prosecutors said Uriarte, who has alleged ties to a California prison gang, pleaded not guilty Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2023, to killing six people, including a teenage mother and her baby, last month at a central California home connected to a rival gang . (Tulare County Sheriff's Office via AP, File)

Uriarte’s co-defendant, 25-year-old Noah David Beard, pleaded not guilty earlier this month. Authorities say he shot Alissa Parraz, 16, and her 10-month-old baby, Nycholas Parraz, in the back of their heads.

Both are charged with six counts of murder and other crimes, and they each face a potential sentence of the death penalty or life in prison without parole. The Tulare County District Attorney’s Office hasn’t decided yet whether to seek capital punishment.

“The Tulare County sheriff and prosecutor have already poisoned the jury pool by announcing to anyone who will listen that this is a death penalty case, despite the fact that the governor announced some time ago that he was pausing executions in California,” Uriarte’s attorney, Anthony Dell’Anno Sr., said in an email. “Sounds political to me.”

Due to various legal challenges and court decisions, California has not executed anyone in years. In 2019, Gov. Gavin Newsom declared a moratorium on executions for as long as he is in office.

Sheriff Mike Boudreaux has publicly called for Newsom to reinstate the death penalty for both men and other cases where children are killed.

Beard’s lawyer declined to comment Tuesday.

The defendants are scheduled to return to court March 15.

FILE - This photo provided by the Tulare County Sheriff's Office shows Angel Uriarte. Prosecutors said Uriarte, who has alleged ties to a California prison gang, pleaded not guilty Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2023, to killing six people, including a teenage mother and her baby, last month at a central California home connected to a rival gang . (Tulare County Sheriff's Office via AP, File)
FILE - This photo provided by the Tulare County Sheriff's Office shows Angel Uriarte. Prosecutors said Uriarte, who has alleged ties to a California prison gang, pleaded not guilty Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2023, to killing six people, including a teenage mother and her baby, last month at a central California home connected to a rival gang . (Tulare County Sheriff's Office via AP, File)

Investigators believe the two suspects have ties to the Nuestra Familia prison gang. Uriarte was convicted in 2015 of assault with a firearm in association with a street gang, and Beard had juvenile convictions, prosecutors said in a court filing.

Authorities have not disclosed the reason for the shooting, but the Los Angeles Times reported that it occurred after years of bad blood between two warring families in Goshen.

The other victims were identified as: Rosa Parraz, 72; Eladio Parraz, Jr., 52; Jennifer Analla, 49; and Marcos Parraz, 19.

Report Error Submit a Tip

World

LOAD WORLD ARTICLES