Improvised explosive kills three and wounds seven in Pakistan’s southwest Baluchistan province

Advertisement

Advertise with us

QUETTA, Pakistan (AP) — A blast from an improvised explosive device killed three people and wounded seven on Friday in the Pakistani province of Baluchistan, a police officer said.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 03/05/2024 (840 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

QUETTA, Pakistan (AP) — A blast from an improvised explosive device killed three people and wounded seven on Friday in the Pakistani province of Baluchistan, a police officer said.

Footage from the scene moments before the attack shows a motorcyclist traveling alongside the car, attaching something to it, and then riding off. The car exploded, scattering civilians and traffic.

Nobody immediately claimed responsibility for the blast in Khuzdar, which is on the main highway connecting the provincial capital Quetta with the port city of Karachi in neighboring Sindh province.

It’s the second attack to strike Khuzdar in less than a month.

District police official Ghulam Mustafa Rind said a prominent journalist was among those killed in the Friday afternoon explosion.

Muhammad Sadique Mengal was president of the Khuzdar Press Club and a member of the religious JUI-F political party. His vehicle reached Chamrok Chowk when the IED was detonated, said Rind.

Last year, Mengal told the English-language daily Dawn newspaper about the dangers of working in Khuzdar, which Reporters Without Borders once ranked as one of the top 10 most dangerous cities for journalists.

In 2014, rights group Amnesty International described Khuzdar as a “graveyard for journalists” because of the threats and attacks on media workers.

Also Friday, the Baloch Liberation Army claimed responsibility for a double landmine blast that killed one person and injured 18 in coal-rich Duki, also in Baluchistan.

Baluch separatist groups initially wanted a greater share of provincial resources, but later initiated an insurgency for independence from the central government.

Report Error Submit a Tip

World

LOAD WORLD ARTICLES