Three Americans among latest to be detained in Venezuela over alleged anti-government plot

Advertisement

Advertise with us

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — Venezuela detained five more foreigners, including three U.S. citizens, for their alleged connection to a plot to destabilize the country, the interior minister announced Thursday, marking the latest round of arrests for what authorities have characterized as anti-government activities following the disputed July presidential election.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 17/10/2024 (671 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — Venezuela detained five more foreigners, including three U.S. citizens, for their alleged connection to a plot to destabilize the country, the interior minister announced Thursday, marking the latest round of arrests for what authorities have characterized as anti-government activities following the disputed July presidential election.

Interior Minister Diosdado Cabello did not provide proof to back the allegations that the detainees were linked to terrorist activities. As in similar previous announcements, he also claimed without showing any evidence that U.S. intelligence agencies planned the activities.

Cabello did not say when the five people were detained. He said a Peruvian and a Bolivian citizen were taken into custody along with the three Americans. He said all “speak Spanish perfectly” and traveled to to the country claiming to be “in love with Venezuela” and planning “to see their partner.”

Venezuelan Interior Minister Diosdado Cabello, left, and Palestinian Ambassador to Venezuela Maher Taha, take part in a rally celebrating the July 28 reelection of President Nicolas Maduro, in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024. (AP Photo/Cristian Hernandez)
Venezuelan Interior Minister Diosdado Cabello, left, and Palestinian Ambassador to Venezuela Maher Taha, take part in a rally celebrating the July 28 reelection of President Nicolas Maduro, in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024. (AP Photo/Cristian Hernandez)

Last month, Cabello announced the arrests of three Americans, two Spaniards and a Czech citizen whom he accused of traveling to Venezuela to assassinate President Nicolás Maduro. Cabello said the foreign citizens were part of a CIA-led plot to overthrow the Venezuelan government and kill several members of its leadership.

The mid-September announcement came two days after the U.S. imposed sanctions on 16 allies of Maduro whom the Biden administration accused of obstructing voting during the July 28 presidential election and carrying out human rights abuses.

Ruling party-loyal electoral authorities declared Maduro the victor hours after polls closed, but they did not publish a breakdown of results as they had done in previous presidential elections. They claimed they could not release the detailed information because their website was hacked.

The main opposition coalition, however, secured tally sheets from more than 80% of voting machines and published them online. The coalition said the records showed its candidate, Edmundo González, defeated Maduro by a 2-to-1 margin.

The Maduro administration has previously used Americans imprisoned in Venezuela to gain concessions from the U.S. government. In a deal conducted last year with the Biden administration, Maduro released 10 Americans and a fugitive wanted by the U.S. government to secure a presidential pardon for Alex Saab, a close Maduro ally who was held in Florida on money laundering charges.

According to U.S. prosecutors, Saab had also helped Maduro to avoid U.S. Treasury sanctions through a complex network of shell companies.

“The safety and security of American citizens anywhere around the world is our first priority, and we’re going to gather more information about this in the hours ahead,” U.S. State Department spokesman Matthew Miller told reporters referring to Cabello’s Thursday announcement.

Report Error Submit a Tip

World

LOAD WORLD ARTICLES