Rwandan genocide survivors describe the 1994 mass killings at a Paris trial

Advertisement

Advertise with us

PARIS (AP) — Bullets flew. Then men with machetes and clubs burst into a convent where people had found refuge, killing almost all the boys and men.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 22/10/2024 (668 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

PARIS (AP) — Bullets flew. Then men with machetes and clubs burst into a convent where people had found refuge, killing almost all the boys and men.

Angélique Uwamahoro was 13 at the time of the 1994 genocide in Rwanda. She said she had to walk through the bodies to survive.

Three decades later, she told her story on Tuesday at a Paris court where a former doctor is on trial for his alleged role in the mass killings of more than 800,000 minority Tutsis and moderate Hutus who tried to protect them.

FILE - Family photographs of some of those who died hang in a display in the Kigali Genocide Memorial Centre in Kigali, Rwanda, April 5, 2014. (AP Photo/Ben Curtis, File)
FILE - Family photographs of some of those who died hang in a display in the Kigali Genocide Memorial Centre in Kigali, Rwanda, April 5, 2014. (AP Photo/Ben Curtis, File)

The dead included some of Uwamahoro’s family members. She said she came to court to “seek justice for my people, who died for who they were.”

The accused is Eugène Rwamucyo, a 65-year-old former doctor who is charged with genocide, complicity, crimes against humanity and conspiring to prepare those crimes. He has denied any wrongdoing.

If found guilty in the trial that started this month and is scheduled to end next week, Rwamucyo is facing life in prison.

Several witnesses traveled to Paris and gave graphic descriptions of the killings in the Butare region where Rwamucyo was at the time.

On Monday, another survivor, Immaculée Mukampunga, described attacks on Tutsi civilians who had gathered at a seminary. “They attacked us, using the same method: first the machete on top of the head, then the throat, then the ankles,” she said.

She said she hid her children, aged 5 and 6, by covering them with bodies.

“I put blood on me, on the children too, so that they would believe we were dead,” she said.

Antoine Ndorimana was 9 when the genocide started. He told the court he had been hiding with his family in a church when they were found.

“Those with machetes and clubs started hitting people. Some slit their ankles, others their throat … And then they stayed to see if anyone was still alive,” he said. He had been struck by a club but tried to stay still.

The next day, Ndorimana saw men putting bodies and wounded people in mass graves. He said he was almost buried alive in one but managed to escape.

The defendant, Rwamucyo, is accused of spreading anti-Tutsi propaganda and supervising operations to bury victims in mass graves, the prosecution said.

The former doctor said his role in mass-grave burials was motivated only by “hygiene-related” considerations and denied survivors were buried alive.

This is the seventh trial related to the genocide, involving eight Rwandan nationals, that has come to court in Paris, all in the past decade.

In December, another doctor, Sosthene Munyemana, was found guilty of genocide, crimes against humanity and helping prepare a genocide and sentenced to 24 years in prison. He has appealed.

Report Error Submit a Tip

World

LOAD WORLD ARTICLES