Police in Haiti name former senator among suspects facing arrest over deadly gang attacks

Advertisement

Advertise with us

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) — Authorities in Haiti have issued more than a dozen arrest warrants against suspects accused of backing gang members that have been attacking a peaceful community near the capital for the past three weeks.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 18/02/2025 (550 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) — Authorities in Haiti have issued more than a dozen arrest warrants against suspects accused of backing gang members that have been attacking a peaceful community near the capital for the past three weeks.

Dozens of people have been killed in Kenscoff this month, including three police officers and one soldier, police spokesman Lionel Lazarre said Tuesday at a press conference.

Among those accused of plotting against the government and backing the gangs is former Senator Nenel Cassy and former Kenscoff legislator Alfredo Antoine, Lazarre said. Neither could not be immediately reached for comment.

A Kenyan police officer patrols an area in the Kenscoff neighborhood of Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Thursday, Feb. 13, 2025. (AP Photo/Odelyn Joseph)
A Kenyan police officer patrols an area in the Kenscoff neighborhood of Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Thursday, Feb. 13, 2025. (AP Photo/Odelyn Joseph)

Among the victims of the attacks was a two-month-old baby, according to the Cooperative for Peace and Development, a local human rights group who called for the creation of a special international criminal tribunal to try all those accused of killing thousands of people, including children, across Haiti in recent years.

“Road access is very difficult where the gangs are located, but that’s not going to stop us from fighting against them,” said Lazarre, adding that “a lot” of gang members have been killed in the attacks. He did not provide details.

Gangs control 85% of the capital Port-au-Prince and in recent months have launched attacks on previously peaceful communities in a bid to seize more territory.

More than 5,600 people were reported killed in Haiti last year, with gang violence leaving more than one million people homeless in recent years, according to the United Nations.

Report Error Submit a Tip

World

LOAD WORLD ARTICLES