UN issues emergency funding appeal to help survivors of devastating Afghan earthquake

Advertisement

Advertise with us

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The United Nations is issuing an emergency appeal for nearly $140 million in desperately needed funding to help nearly a half-million people affected by the devastating earthquake in eastern Afghanistan.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 09/09/2025 (348 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The United Nations is issuing an emergency appeal for nearly $140 million in desperately needed funding to help nearly a half-million people affected by the devastating earthquake in eastern Afghanistan.

Afghan authorities have said the 6.0 magnitude quake on Aug. 31 and ensuing aftershocks killed more than 2,200 people in the country’s mountainous and rugged east. Many of the most severely affected areas have been particularly difficult to get to, with some reachable only by helicopter.

The U.N. said in a statement Tuesday that the $139.6 million, four-month emergency response plan would allow humanitarian organizations to help the 457,000 people who have been affected in the provinces of Kunar, Laghman and Nangarhar.

Civil defense workers, locals, and army soldiers prepare to evacuate injured victims of an earthquake that killed hundreds and destroyed numerous villages in eastern Afghanistan, in Mazar Dara, Kunar province, Monday, Sept. 1, 2025. (AP Photo/Hedayat Shah)
Civil defense workers, locals, and army soldiers prepare to evacuate injured victims of an earthquake that killed hundreds and destroyed numerous villages in eastern Afghanistan, in Mazar Dara, Kunar province, Monday, Sept. 1, 2025. (AP Photo/Hedayat Shah)

Rescue operations concluded on Tuesday, with the official death toll at 2,210 across all three provinces, said Naqib Rahemi, the health department spokesman from Nangarhar province.

More than 3,600 people have been injured, with stretched health facilities struggling to provide treatment, while more than 6,700 homes have been damaged or destroyed. The U.N. has said it has so far been able to visit only 49 of the 411 villages affected due to damaged roads in the rugged terrain.

“This is a moment where the international community must dig deep and show solidarity with a population that has already endured so much suffering,” the U.N.’s Humanitarian Coordinator for Afghanistan, Indrika Ratwatte, said in a statement. The approaching winter means assistance efforts are in a “race against time,” Ratwatte added.

Local authorities and humanitarian organizations have been conducting relief operations to provide food, shelter and medical care. The U.N.’s earthquake response plan, which will run to the end of the year, will allow aid organizations to increase operations particularly in high-elevation areas ahead of winter, the U.N. statement said.

Report Error Submit a Tip

World

LOAD WORLD ARTICLES