Turkish journalist jailed for four years for threatening Erdogan on social media

Advertisement

Advertise with us

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — A court on Wednesday convicted a Turkish journalist of threatening President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, reports said, in a case that critics view as an attempt to silence a prominent voice against the government.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/11/2025 (270 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — A court on Wednesday convicted a Turkish journalist of threatening President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, reports said, in a case that critics view as an attempt to silence a prominent voice against the government.

Fatih Altayli, 63, a veteran journalist whose YouTube programs attracted hundreds of thousands of views daily, was sentenced to four years and two months in prison.

He was detained in June and charged with issuing and publicly disseminating a threat against the president.

FILE - An empty chair takes center stage at a TV studio set where imprisoned Turkish journalist Fatih Altayli continues to deliver news on his YouTube show through letters read by his assistant, in Istanbul, on Oct. 1, 2025. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco, File)
FILE - An empty chair takes center stage at a TV studio set where imprisoned Turkish journalist Fatih Altayli continues to deliver news on his YouTube show through letters read by his assistant, in Istanbul, on Oct. 1, 2025. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco, File)

Altayli has denied the accusation and plans to appeal his conviction. The court ruled that he remain in jail pending the appeals process, Cumhuriyet newspaper and other media reported.

The charge relates to a remark made on the “Fatih Altayli Comments” program following a poll that reportedly showed more than 70% of the public opposed a lifetime presidency for Erdogan, who has been in power for more than two decades. Altayli said he was not surprised by the result of the poll and that the Turkish people preferred checks on authority.

“Look at the history of this nation,” he said. “This is a nation which strangled its sultan when they didn’t like him or want him. There are quite a few Ottoman sultans who were assassinated, strangled, or whose deaths were made to look like suicide.”

On Wednesday, Altayli told the court that the accusations against him “feel absurd and unnecessary,” according to Cumhuriyet.

“Why should the President be afraid of me? I am not a member of any organization, I am nothing of the sort. I have never resorted to violence,” the newspaper cited him as saying.

The journalist’s YouTube program was suspended last month following the first hearing of his trial. Until then, he had continued to deliver news and commentary through letters that were relayed by his lawyers and read aloud by his assistant.

With a majority of mainstream media in Turkey owned by pro-government businesses or directly controlled by the government, several independent journalists have turned to YouTube for uncensored reporting.

There are 11 journalists and other media sector workers, including Altayli, behind bars in Turkey, according to the Turkish Journalists Syndicate. The government claims journalists face prosecution for criminal acts, not for their journalistic work.

Report Error Submit a Tip

World

LOAD WORLD ARTICLES