At least 6 people killed in a building collapse in South Africa
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
JOHANNESBURG (AP) — A concrete floor that was under construction in a building in the South African city of Johannesburg collapsed on Monday, killing at least six people and leaving two trapped under the rubble, emergency services said.
Three others were missing, Johannesburg Emergency Management Services spokesperson Xolile Khumalo told reporters at the scene. She said one person was rescued.
Khumalo said the floor on an upper level of the building, in the suburb of Ormonde in southern Johannesburg, gave way and fell onto people below it. The rescue effort was complicated because parts of the building were still unstable and “caving in,” Khumalo said, calling it a risky operation for emergency personnel.
Johannesburg public safety official Mgcini Tshwaku said part of the building was under construction when the collapse happened. It wasn’t immediately clear if all the victims were construction workers. He said one of the men trapped under rubble had a large concrete slab pinning his leg and it might have to be amputated to free him.
A surgeon had been brought in from a nearby hospital to assess the man’s condition, according to Tshwaku.
“We just have to get everyone out,” Tshwaku said.
There will be an investigation into who was in charge of the construction work and if plans were properly reviewed and approved, Tshwaku said.
A building that was under construction collapsed in South Africa’s southern city of George in 2024, killing 34 construction workers and resulting in a 10-day rescue operation. An investigation found multiple failures, including breaches of safety regulations, were responsible for that tragedy.
___
More AP Africa news: https://apnews.com/hub/africa