German authorities say hidden weapons stash near Berlin was intended for use in attacks

Advertisement

Advertise with us

BERLIN (AP) — Germany's interior minister said Friday that a cache of weapons and ammunition found near Berlin last year was intended for use in attacks, and that a suspect has been arrested in Romania.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

BERLIN (AP) — Germany’s interior minister said Friday that a cache of weapons and ammunition found near Berlin last year was intended for use in attacks, and that a suspect has been arrested in Romania.

Alexander Dobrindt told reporters on Friday that federal prosecutors have launched an investigation into the weapons discovery, which was first reported in various German media.

Dobrindt said that the participation of “foreign powers” could not be ruled out, and that the investigation would look into that possibility.

The suspect in custody in Romania had “attack plans,” the minister said. Romanian authorities did not immediately comment on the case.

“The investigation is directed against intelligence agency activity and against the preparation of a serious state-endangering crime,” Dobrindt told reporters in Berlin, explaining that it involved a “high-risk situation.” He did not provide further details.

Contacted by The Associated Press, the federal prosecutors’ office in the western city of Karlsruhe declined to comment.

Dobrindt explained that German authorities were informed of a possible weapons cache outside Berlin in October, and subsequently located it. “Two handguns and corresponding ammunition were stored in this hiding place,” he said.

Report Error Submit a Tip

World

LOAD WORLD ARTICLES