Nigeria orders investigation into second fake government agency
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — Nigeria’s President Bola Tinubu on Friday ordered an investigation into a man accused of creating and running a fake government agency, the second such agency uncovered in the country in recent weeks.
Musa Adamu Aliyu, the head of the country’s corruption watchdog, announced the investigation after briefing the president in the capital, Abuja.
The latest bogus agency, called the National Brands Development and Made in Nigeria Special Project Office, was operating illegally from a government office and was headed by George Buchi Nwabueze, authorities said.
The scandal is the latest involving an allegedly fake government agency under Tinubu’s administration. Last month, authorities discovered that another purported agency, the Presidential Foreign Investment Promotion Council, had operated for years, with its director meeting government officials and accessing public funds.
The man accused of creating the first bogus agency was arrested by police. Aliyu said the investigation into the first agency led to the discovery of the second.
Analysts believe the perpetrators are working with senior government officials to use the agencies to siphon money from the national budget.
Aliyu did not say whether the accused man had profited from the scheme before it was uncovered.
Three senior government officials have been suspended, and authorities have issued an arrest warrant for Nwabueze.
____
AP’s Africa coverage at: https://apnews.com/hub/africa