COVID precautions to curtail Thanksgiving gatherings

Advertisement

Advertise with us

TORONTO - Thanksgiving fanatic Genna Buck is used to going all-out with an elaborate turkey spread for as many as 30 friends.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 25/09/2020 (2155 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

TORONTO – Thanksgiving fanatic Genna Buck is used to going all-out with an elaborate turkey spread for as many as 30 friends.

But this year, COVID-19 will force her annual “friendsgiving” potluck bash to move online, where the avid party host plans to dine with pals over videoconference — on a turkey meal she’ll prepare the day before and drop off at “guests”‘ homes that morning.

Buck says the pandemic has scuttled an annual Thanksgiving dinner with her parents, brother and grandparents in Belleville, Ont., but she refuses to cancel the friends version she typically hosts the weekend before or after the holiday.

A Thanksgiving turkey dinner is shown in Toronto on Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2012. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
A Thanksgiving turkey dinner is shown in Toronto on Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2012. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette

Even a scaled-back version wouldn’t be the same, says Buck, whose guestlist has grown over six years to include co-workers, former classmates, and childhood camp friends.

“There’s no such thing as a 10-person friendsgiving at my house, I can never do that,” says Buck, referring to the 10-person bubble Ontario has imposed to contain COVID-19 spread.

“It’s my way of showing love to the people that I love.”

Still, she says surging cases of COVID-19 in Toronto and other parts of Canada demand a drastic rethink of treasured traditions, which she admits may very well include Christmas for her.

With a little over two weeks before Thanksgiving on Oct. 12, a growing chorus of public health and political leaders are urging Canadians to scale back any plans for a sprawling dinner party.

The pleas started with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s sobering national address Wednesday, and were amplified Thursday by officials in Ontario and Quebec — where the bulk of infections and deaths have occurred.

Health Minister Christian Dube urged Quebecers to avoid parties over the next few weeks — including the Thanksgiving long weekend — while Quebec’s public health director suggested private gatherings are driving infections rather than restaurants, where restrictions are in place.

“Which is very different from a party where … we forget (to maintain) your two metres,” said Dr. Horacio Arruda, referring to social distancing guidance.

Earlier on Thursday, Ontario Premier Doug Ford also acknowledged the temptation to gather with extended friends and family but stressed the importance of maintaining precautions.

“Nothing is more important than family and loved ones getting together,” said Ford.

“But in saying that, we’ve got to keep it under 10.”

Alberta’s chief medical health officer, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, said Thursday that Thanksgiving can still happen as long as people practice caution and stick to gathering within their “cohorts,” which in the province is a bubble of up to 15 people.”Smaller is safer. This is not the time for large gatherings,” Hinshaw said.

Infectious disease specialists warned any relaxation of the rules could undo months of sacrifice.

Dr. Gerald Evans, chair of the division of infectious diseases at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ont., advised against travel and merging bubbles that share extended family members, even if it’s for just one night.

“Some families there might be a bubble of them in Toronto, a bubble of them in Ottawa, a bubble of them in Kingston,” notes Evans.

“But if at Thanksgiving they’re sort of saying well you know winter’s coming this is our last chance (so) let’s all get together, then all of a sudden you’ve got a conglomeration of what could be up to 30 people, and whatever other little connections they have.”

Infectious disease epidemiologist Ashleigh Tuite cautioned against the temptation to expand bubbles by even one friend.

“If everybody thinks like that, you’ve really increased the number of contacts that people have and that really increases the potential for disease to spread in networks,” says Tuite, an assistant professor at the University of Toronto.

“Ultimately, this is all about networks and how we’re connected.”

Genna Buck (far right) poses with friends (left to right) Odette Hutchings, Beth McNeil, and Hilary Holden Straus at Buck's fifth annual Friendsgiving celebration in Toronto — the last in-person Friendsgiving before the COVID-19 pandemic, in a handout photo. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-Genna Buck MANDATORY CREDIT
Genna Buck (far right) poses with friends (left to right) Odette Hutchings, Beth McNeil, and Hilary Holden Straus at Buck's fifth annual Friendsgiving celebration in Toronto — the last in-person Friendsgiving before the COVID-19 pandemic, in a handout photo. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-Genna Buck MANDATORY CREDIT

Tuite welcomed clear directives around Thanksgiving, noting many Canadians may be confused by restrictions on private indoor gatherings while bars and restaurants can allow far more guests.

“There’s not a lot of consistency there, which can be cognitively really hard to figure out,” she says.

A group of physicians and infectious diseases experts are calling on the Ontario government to shut down restaurants, bars, places of worship and other non-essential businesses in regional hotspots including Toronto and Ottawa, arguing they are especially vulnerable to outbreaks that can spread to schools, long-term care homes, and other congregate settings.

While agreeing that individual actions play a key role in containing COVID-19 spread, infections disease doctor Andrew Morris says the group believes social restrictions and increased testing is not enough. He says more aggressive measures are needed now if we hope to see the pandemic’s trajectory shift in coming weeks.

“Because cases grow exponentially, every delay magnifies the problem even more,” says Morris, a U of T professor and physician at Sinai Health and University Health Network.

“It’s very clear they’re doing everything at the moment to avoid changing how society is functioning in terms of the economy.”

Trudeau warned of a fall “that could be much worse than the spring” but suggested quick action now could give Canadians “a shot at Christmas.”

Evans was skeptical the pandemic could be reined in by Dec. 25, and suggests Trudeau dangled the prospect of a holly jolly gathering as a way to counter bad news “with a hopeful message.”

Earlier this week, Toronto Mayor John Tory told the city to expect fall and winter events to be cancelled, including a popular six-week Christmas market that draws hundreds of thousands of revelers and New Year’s Eve celebrations at Nathan Phillips Square.

Morris, too, doubted much would change without a significant clampdown.

“Things can change a lot but certainly the provinces that are being hard hit in Canada — B.C., Alberta, Ontario and Quebec — are absolutely trying to take a wait-and-see approach in hoping that things will simmer down.

“And as you know, so far it hasn’t been very successful.”

It’s really difficult to ask people to curtail their community ties, says Buck, who is reluctant to judge others for taking risks she may not be comfortable with. She says every individual will have their own health factors to consider.

“I’ve also had people that have really struggled with mental health during this time and just need to be around other people and I understand that urge so much,” says Buck, who is asking her Thanksgiving guests to donate money to the social services agency where she works, West Neighbourhood House.

“But at the same time, this thing is real and it’s super serious and you shouldn’t take unnecessary risks.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 25, 2020.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Premier presses Bell Canada about ‘unacceptable’ 911 outages

Carol Sanders 5 minute read Preview

Premier presses Bell Canada about ‘unacceptable’ 911 outages

Carol Sanders 5 minute read Yesterday at 7:19 PM CDT

Premier Wab Kinew said the province is doing all it can to ensure that Manitobans aren’t hit with another 911 service outage — including asking the head of Bell Canada to help.

“At the end of the day, when you dial 911, we need to get emergency services to you as quickly as possible,” Kinew said.

On July 22, an hours-long outage prevented nearly 90 calls to 911 from being routed to the public safety answering point in Brandon. Backup systems that reroute 911 calls when an outage occurs also experienced “issues” after a third party cut the cable during construction near Winnipeg, Bell Canada said earlier.

At the time, Kinew called the 911 outage “unacceptable,” and told reporters that Prime Minister Mark Carney assured him he would raise the matter with telecom executives.

Read
Yesterday at 7:19 PM CDT

Carney asks provinces to return U.S. alcohol to stores

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Carney asks provinces to return U.S. alcohol to stores

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:41 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston says Prime Minister Mark Carney has asked provinces to restock American alcohol on their shelves as Canada finalizes a trade deal with the U.S. 

U.S. President Donald Trump announced Tuesday he would put a three-day pause on 50 per cent tariffs that would have hit an array of Canadian goods just after midnight Wednesday.

The two governments are now finalizing the language of the deal.

Carney, who briefed cabinet ministers and premiers about the draft plan Wednesday, said the deal it builds on Canada's existing trade advantages with the U.S.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:41 PM CDT

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT

A Somali refugee who was twice caught by RCMP assisting in the smuggling of desperate African migrants into Manitoba during the frigid winter — including while out on bail, months after he was first arrested with eight foreign nationals in his vehicle — has admitted he did so for money.

Read
Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT

Broadway Social: when public art gets it right

Stephen Borys 6 minute read Preview

Broadway Social: when public art gets it right

Stephen Borys 6 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Great civic sculpture does something to us.

It might delight or irritate, intrigue or confuse. It can make us stop, look up, move closer. Sometimes we wonder who approved it, who paid for it, or what on Earth it is supposed to be. We photograph it, argue about it, give directions by it. Eventually, the best becomes part of a city’s mental map.

Indifference may be the one response it cannot afford.

I have been thinking about this since spending time with Broadway Social, Eduardo Aquino’s remarkable public sculpture on Broadway, directly across from the Fort Garry Hotel.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Edmonton not the same old Elks as Bombers get ready for road clash

Taylor Allen 7 minute read Preview

Edmonton not the same old Elks as Bombers get ready for road clash

Taylor Allen 7 minute read Yesterday at 7:04 PM CDT

Edmonton’s CFL team has been a complete, utter mess for the majority of the past decade.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers took full advantage of their once-prominent West Division foe falling on hard times by shellacking them time and time again.

Let’s take a trip down memory lane, shall we?

The Blue and Gold defeated the Elks three times in a span of five weeks in 2021 — including a 30-3 beatdown on Chancellor Matheson Road on Oct. 8.

Read
Yesterday at 7:04 PM CDT

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Preview

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT

Ninety-four complaints about teacher misconduct were flagged in the 15 months after Manitoba set up an independent office to regulate the profession.

Commissioner Noni Classen has released a summary of the allegations brought to her attention and findings of investigations undertaken between January 2025 and March 2026.

A new disciplinary system, as well as an online registry where members of the public can look up the education level and standing of teachers and school clinicians, came into effect Jan. 6, 2025.

“These processes can be difficult and deeply personal for everyone involved, including students, families, teachers and school administrators,” Classen wrote in a 24-page report published this week.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT