Top doctors warn of COVID-19 variant spread, Trudeau says more vaccines on the way

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau joined Canada's top doctors in warning that more infectious COVID-19 variants threaten to spark a third wave, even as he announced Canada would receive millions more vaccine doses than previously expected.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 12/02/2021 (2012 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau joined Canada’s top doctors in warning that more infectious COVID-19 variants threaten to spark a third wave, even as he announced Canada would receive millions more vaccine doses than previously expected.

Late Friday, Newfoundland and Labrador’s chief medical officer of health confirmed the United Kingdom variant is behind the COVID-19 outbreak that hit the province this week.

Dr. Janice Fitzgerald said she is moving the entire province back to its highest alert level.

Chief Public Health Officer Theresa Tam listens to a question during a news conference, Tuesday, January 12, 2021 in Ottawa. Canada's top doctors say COVID-19 infections appear to be on a downward trend but worrisome variants are posing an increasing threat to containing the pandemic.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Chief Public Health Officer Theresa Tam listens to a question during a news conference, Tuesday, January 12, 2021 in Ottawa. Canada's top doctors say COVID-19 infections appear to be on a downward trend but worrisome variants are posing an increasing threat to containing the pandemic.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

She said it is presumed that all of the 244 COVID-19 cases identified this week in the St. John’s area are related to the more infectious B. 1.17 variant of the virus.

“I can’t really sugar-coat this for anybody, but what we have to remember is that … we know that these public health measures will work against this variant, just as (they) would work against any variant of COVID-19,” she said at a news conference.

Later, Bruce Chaulk, the province’s chief electoral officer, issued a news release saying all in-person voting in Saturday’s provincial election was cancelled and that voting would proceed with mail-in ballots only.

Earlier Friday, Trudeau urged the public to refrain from unnecessary travel and gatherings as the long weekend approached, noting a fast-tracked shipment of millions of COVID-19 vaccines in coming months will not be enough to combat worrisome variants that have overtaken other countries.

“Nobody wants a third wave to start, particularly not one comprised of new, more communicable variants that can cause real challenges,” Trudeau said while announcing $53 million dedicated to clamping down on these cases.

“You might be worried about these new strains, well we’re putting our best experts on it – researchers, epidemiologists, modelers.”

Canada is getting millions of COVID-19 vaccines early thanks to an accelerated import schedule and additional orders, Trudeau said at a news conference that also set Feb. 22 as the start of strict travel requirements meant to discourage non-essential globetrotters.

Trudeau said he’s been assured four million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine will arrive by end of March as promised, while 10.8 million doses will be delivered between April and June, and all remaining doses – 40 million in total – will arriveby the end of September.

That’s 2.8 million additional Pfizer doses between April and June, and 6.2 million more between July and September than originally planned, said Procurement Minister Anita Anand.

At the same time, Canada has ordered four million additional doses of the Moderna vaccine that will arrive over the summer, bringing the country’s total supply from the two pharmaceutical giants to 84 million doses. Two million Moderna doses are expected by end of March.

“We’ve been continuing to work every single day on getting as many doses as possible as quickly as possible into Canadians arms,” said Trudeau, reiterating his pledge that all Canadians who want a dose will get one by the end of September.

Production delays have been blamed for a lull in Canada’s vaccination efforts since mid-January, when Pfizer slowed production at its plant in Belgium. Moderna deliveries also slowed.

Chief Public Health Officer Theresa Tam said earlier Friday that aggressive vaccinations will play a key part in addressing COVID-19 spread, and was just one suppression tool as modelling data in the nation’s hot spots point to a likely third wave.

Tam said COVID-19 infections appeared to be on a downward trend but that the worrisome variants posed an increasing threat to containing the pandemic.

At least three provinces found evidence of variants in the community, Tam noted.

“We’ve made great progress, and are now almost two -thirds of the way down this curve,” said Tam, adding that ongoing vigilance was vital.

“Look at the European countries — they give us a clue as to what might happen if variants are circulating, and we let our guard down. That massive acceleration into that third resurgence … will happen really fast.”

Tam pointed to Newfoundland’s recent spike as a lesson that even areas with relatively low case counts can quickly turn bad if public health measures are not in place. The Atlantic province reported 50 new cases Friday, 20 of which involved people younger than 20. It followed 100 cases reported Thursday, 74 of which involved people younger than 20.

More than 429 cases of the variant first identified in the U.K. have been found across eight provinces, as well as 28 cases of the variant first identified in South Africa, Tam said.

So far, there has only been one report of the variant first found in Brazil.

Trudeau also announced that strict quarantine and testing measures for plane travellers to Canada will begin Feb. 22. That includes a mandatory COVID-19 test upon landing and a three-day quarantine in a government-approved hotel while awaiting results, at the traveller’s expense.

Land border crossers will now also have to take a test when they arrive.

According to federal data, as of Thursday there have been 817,163 cases of COVID-19 in Canada, with 37,747 of them considered active cases.

Tam urged Canadians to refrain from gathering just as much of the country entered a long weekend that included Family Day in several provinces, and Valentine’s Day.

The Ontario Medical Association suggested phone calls or virtual meals with friends and relatives to as “ways to connect from a distance.”

Ontario reported 1,076 new cases of COVID-19 and 18 more deaths linked to the virus Friday, including 361 new cases in Toronto, 210 in Peel Region, and 122 in York Region.

Premier Doug Ford said Friday rapid testing would be expanded in schools, long-term care homes and essential workplaces, with health officials expecting to distribute one million tests each week.

The plan comes as the province gradually reopens its economy after an emergency order expired earlier this week.

Deputy Chief Public Health Officer Howard Njoo voiced support for Ontario’s recent move to delay the spring break for its schools to April, from March, expecting it would reduce contacts at a delicate time while pushing the holiday into warmer weather that would allow more outdoor activities.

Meanwhile, Quebec reported 984 new COVID-19 cases and 25 more deaths, including four in the previous 24 hours.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 12, 2021.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Could renewed interest in strategically critical rare earth elements finally make sub-sector profitable?

Joel Schlesinger 6 minute read Preview

Could renewed interest in strategically critical rare earth elements finally make sub-sector profitable?

Joel Schlesinger 6 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Rare earth elements are among the most critical of mined resources for modern economies.

They’re essential in manufacturing specialized magnets used in a host of technologies from wind turbines and electric vehicles to hard drives, smartphones, television screens, and fibre optics. Most notably, however, rare earth minerals are increasingly vital to the defence industry.

These 17 elements — closely related chemically and usually found all together in mineral deposits — have indeed been growing in geopolitical importance as the United States, Canada and other Western nations recognize their dependence on production from China.

It is the world’s largest producer and processor of rare earths, including the most in-demand elements neodymium and praseodymium used to manufacture very light and powerful magnets for an array of technologies, including the most advanced weapons of modern warfare.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Sea Bears finish on top

Joshua Frey-Sam 6 minute read Preview

Sea Bears finish on top

Joshua Frey-Sam 6 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Beauty. Bliss. Ecstasy.

That is how Aug. 15, 2026 will be remembered in Winnipeg.

What was once a pipe dream in the city’s hoops community became an epic reality on Saturday, when Simon Hildebrandt, who grew up playing on the courts of this very town, made good on a three-pointer from the wing to crown the Winnipeg Sea Bears Canadian Elite Basketball League champions.

A storybook ending to a 98-84 victory over the Brampton Honey Badgers sent a CEBL attendance record of 12,519 fans into pandemonium at Canada Life Centre and capped a Finals run for the ages — one that was fraught with injury, impromptu player exits and unprecedented circumstances.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Volunteer helps keep Nellie McClung’s legacy alive

Tiago Resko 4 minute read Preview

Volunteer helps keep Nellie McClung’s legacy alive

Tiago Resko 4 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

Growing up with ties to the community of Manitou, Gillian Potvin has found great inspiration in the traces of Nellie McClung’s legacy.

The 39-year-old has spent nearly a decade channelling that inspiration back into the community by being a key part of the Nellie McClung Museum of Canada’s marketing and events planning since it opened at 55 Main St., in the southern Manitoba town in 2017.

Utilizing her skills in marketing and digital design for the museum is her way of thanking the woman who fought for the rights she has today and continuing her legacy.

“She helped women to be identified as persons and that’s huge,” she said of the woman born in 1873 and considered one of Canada’s most prominent suffragists. “It’s easy to take for granted some of these rights we now have as women, but there would have been a big fight back in the day to change the things that have always been.”

Read
6:00 AM CDT

RCMP searching for missing 34-year-old woman

1 minute read Updated: 8:07 AM CDT

Police are asking for the public’s help locating a 34-year-old woman last heard from almost a week ago.

Tamara Stevens, who also goes by Tammy, was last heard from on Sunday last weekend and was reported missing Tuesday morning, said a Thompson RCMP news release Saturday.

RCMP and family are worried for her well-being.

Stevens is believed to be in Thompson and is described as 5'7, with a slender build and long red hair, said RCMP. She also has a piercing on her lip and was last seen wearing black T-Shirt featuring the Twilight character Jacob, pants and work boots.

Man charged, suspect sought in commercial break-in spree

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

Man charged, suspect sought in commercial break-in spree

Free Press staff 2 minute read 11:11 AM CDT

Winnipeg police have charged one suspect and are seeking a second in connection with a two-month spree of commercial break-ins, vehicle thefts and property crimes.

About $140,000 worth of property, including trailers, lawn equipment, motorcycles and bicycles, was reported stolen in 13 incidents in Winnipeg and the Rural Municipality of Headingley between April 20 and June 28.

Police said both suspects were wearing electronic monitoring bracelets during that time.

Justin Andrew Hanson, 35, was arrested Aug. 4 after he allegedly fled an attempted traffic stop at high speed in the 100 block of Clonard Avenue in St. Vital, and abandoned the vehicle he was driving.

Read
11:11 AM CDT

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Preview

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

A Winnipeg foster mother has admitted to violently assaulting her ill foster daughter and leaving her paralyzed after the girl resisted the woman’s efforts to provide her with medication, a court has heard.

Marilyn Keno, 26, pleaded guilty Friday to one count of aggravated assault.

Keno remains in custody and will be sentenced at a later date following the completion of a court-ordered pre-sentence report.

The maximum sentence for aggravated assault is 14 years in prison. Crown attorney Alanna Littman and defence lawyer Jeremy Kostiuk did not disclose what sentences they will be recommending.

Read
Friday, Aug. 14, 2026