WWE’s partnership with ESPN will start sooner than expected

Advertisement

Advertise with us

STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) — WWE's partnership with ESPN will start earlier than first announced.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 20/08/2025 (368 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) — WWE’s partnership with ESPN will start earlier than first announced.

The WWE’s first premium live event on the network’s platforms will be Wrestlepalooza from Indianapolis on Sept. 20. John Cena, who will retire from professional wrestling at the end of the year, will be part of the card.

The other two premium live events this year — Crown Jewel on Oct. 11 and the Nov. 29 Survivor Series — will also be available to subscribers of ESPN’s direct-to-consumer streaming service who have the unlimited plan.

FILE - WrestleMania XL prepares at Lincoln Financial Field on Saturday, April 6, 2024. (Yong Kim/The Philadelphia Inquirer via AP, File)
FILE - WrestleMania XL prepares at Lincoln Financial Field on Saturday, April 6, 2024. (Yong Kim/The Philadelphia Inquirer via AP, File)

ESPN’s direct-to-consumer package and upgraded app will debut on Thursday.

When ESPN announced its deal with WWE on Aug. 6, the premium live events were supposed to move from Peacock in early 2026. A date was not announced, but it was supposed to happen before WrestleMania.

Peacock, which had been the home of WWE’s premium live events since March 2021, will be the home of “Saturday Night’s Main Event,” beginning Nov. 1. Cena’s retirement match will be Dec. 13.

Saturday Night’s Main Event originally premiered on NBC in 1985 and ran until 1991. The show, which airs four times per year, returned in September.

___

AP sports: https://apnews.com/sports

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Ready to crack over late-night ‘snacks’

Maureen Scurfield 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: My new love has a seriously annoying habit that could break us up now that we’re actually living together.

I’m not getting much sleep, and it has nothing to do with having too much sex! Every night at about 2 a.m., my man gets up and goes to the fridge, makes a giant sandwich and pours a huge glass of apple juice, then sits there scarfing it down, with music on for a bit of entertainment. This often wakes me up, and when I complain he just invites me to join him “for a bite.”

Really? The last thing I need is to eat a fourth meal of the day in the middle of the night. He says it’s an old habit from his football days, when he was so hungry all the time and he still enjoys it. He says he isn’t about to change that for me, so, tough luck.

It’s a big problem as I can’t just fall back to sleep after he rattles around the kitchen and then comes back and jumps back into bed with me.

Executive exodus continues at Shared Health with three recent departures

Chris Kitching 5 minute read Preview

Executive exodus continues at Shared Health with three recent departures

Chris Kitching 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 4:18 PM CDT

Manitoba’s provincial health authority is looking for its fourth chief financial officer since 2023 and additional replacements after the recent departures of three executives.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 4:18 PM CDT

WWE’s partnership with ESPN will start sooner than expected

The Associated Press 2 minute read Preview

WWE’s partnership with ESPN will start sooner than expected

The Associated Press 2 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2025

STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) — WWE's partnership with ESPN will start earlier than first announced.

The WWE's first premium live event on the network's platforms will be Wrestlepalooza from Indianapolis on Sept. 20. John Cena, who will retire from professional wrestling at the end of the year, will be part of the card.

The other two premium live events this year — Crown Jewel on Oct. 11 and the Nov. 29 Survivor Series — will also be available to subscribers of ESPN's direct-to-consumer streaming service who have the unlimited plan.

ESPN's direct-to-consumer package and upgraded app will debut on Thursday.

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2025

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read Preview

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read 5:14 PM CDT

Manitoba government and business leaders are rallying behind Prime Minister Mark Carney’s plan to fight back, after a sudden collapse of trade talks between the U.S. and Canada sparked a new salvo of U.S. tariffs on some Canadian goods.

On Saturday, after Carney vowed to respond with retaliatory tariffs, Manitoba premier Wab Kinew said his government stood “100 per cent” behind the prime minister’s plan to respond to what Kinew called U.S. president Donald Trump’s “unjustified and immoral” tariffs.

“History will not be kind to Donald Trump, so we should never appease him,” Kinew said. “We should fight back, which is what Canada is doing today.”

Kinew met reporters for a brief news conference at the legislature on Saturday afternoon, about an hour after finishing a call with Carney and the other premiers. There was a “really strong sense of unity” on that call, Kinew said, and emphasized that he backs the federal decision to “walk away from what would have been a bad deal.”

Read
5:14 PM CDT

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |