Step in the right direction: GPS issues on buses fixed, Transit says

Winnipeg Transit says the GPS failure that wreaked havoc with bus schedules for several months has been fixed.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 04/02/2026 (199 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Winnipeg Transit says the GPS failure that wreaked havoc with bus schedules for several months has been fixed.

That will provide much more extensive and accurate data to help improve the new primary transit network, said Coun. Janice Lukes (Waverley West).

“It’s just so huge because there’s a lot of conversation and suggestions and feedback that we’re getting that the buses aren’t connecting (well) … We can now take some of those buses that aren’t being utilized (enough and) put them on routes that need higher frequency, so we can make those connections. This (repair) is huge and this is a great news,” said Lukes, chairwoman of the public works committee.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES
                                Transit riders can count on bus arrival times on Navigo, bus schedule boards and Transit’s website to be generally accurate after GPS issues were fixed.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES

Transit riders can count on bus arrival times on Navigo, bus schedule boards and Transit’s website to be generally accurate after GPS issues were fixed.

On July 7, a “widespread” GPS issue began leading incorrect bus arrival times to appear on Navigo, bus schedule boards and Transit’s website, Transit previously noted. About 18 to 24 per cent of bus location reports were incorrect at the peak of the problem.

“This (repair) is huge and this is a great news.”

On Wednesday, Transit said the number of GPS error messages is now within one per cent of a normal “baseline” error level of about three to four per cent of all reports.

That improvement was first achieved in November but hasn’t impacted routes yet, since schedules take time to plan out.

Transit expects the more accurate data will start helping improve some routes in April, since the GPS system collects ridership data as well as bus timing details.

Lukes noted the GPS failure began at the worst possible time, shortly after Transit switched to a new route network on June 29, which changed virtually every route in the city.

The new spine-and-feeder concept, where direct spines along major corridors are supported by a network of feeder routes, means many rides that begin outside of a main route now require transfers, making bus timing even more important.

Lukes said the failures had nothing to do with the route change but added confusion just as riders were learning the new system, noting it wasn’t clear what caused some missed and late buses.

Following a presentation at a public works meeting Wednesday, Winnipeg Transit officials said the more accurate data that’s now available will allow the city to pinpoint where some changes are needed.

“It gives us the ability to know where our passengers are with a higher degree of certainty. So, when we look at making some of the changes in terms of redistributing frequency (of buses) … we know exactly where and when you want to place the frequency,” said Adam Budowski, a senior Transit planner.

“(We’re) looking forward to April (when) we’re making additional changes, more changes to frequency of routes like the F8. We’re improving that even more,” said Budowski.

“It gives us the ability to know where our passengers are with a higher degree of certainty.”

Transit declined to offer further details of upcoming changes, noting those will be released in a future report.

The fix should also make some buses easier to track for riders. That’s because arrival times posted online for buses with glitching GPS systems would rely only on the bus schedule, instead of reflecting real-time delays.

Winnipeg Transit director Greg Ewankiw said the issue required a lengthy process to fix.

“We had to install a cable on each bus. And as you get to the older models of buses, the cabling becomes more complex, so it actually takes longer for each bus to (be fixed),” said Ewankiw.

He said about 45 remaining buses still have cable issues that are now being addressed, a relatively small portion of Transit’s 640-bus fleet.

“We actually have better reporting (on locations) now than what we did before this problem even started,” said Ewankiw.

joyanne.pursaga@freepress.mb.ca

X: @joyanne_pursaga

Joyanne Pursaga

Joyanne Pursaga
Reporter

Joyanne is city hall reporter for the Winnipeg Free Press. A reporter since 2004, she began covering politics exclusively in 2012, writing on city hall and the Manitoba Legislature for the Winnipeg Sun before joining the Free Press in early 2020. Read more about Joyanne.

Every piece of reporting Joyanne produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Winnipegger just one shot off the lead after opening round at Manitoba Open

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Winnipegger just one shot off the lead after opening round at Manitoba Open

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Braxton Kuntz began the week not knowing if he’d even be able to play in the Manitoba Open.

The 22-year-old Winnipegger will head to Elmhurst early Friday morning just one shot off the lead — hanging tough with the heavyweights from PGA Tour Americas — after firing a fantastic five-under 65 Thursday afternoon.

“Playing in front of friends, family, a nice gallery watching out there…to start out like that, I’m putting myself in contention,” said Kuntz.

He didn’t realize just how close he was until the Free Press informed him that only Kentucky’s Drew Doyle, who has already won on tour earlier this season, had posted a better score among the 156-player field. Doyle shot a six-under 64.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Preview

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

A rural Manitoba MLA says he has heard from constituents who are “shocked and outraged” that a 66-year-old man is facing charges after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

RCMP, OCN seek mother of dead newborn or fetus

Morgan Modjeski 1 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

The RCMP and Opaskwayak Cree Nation leaders are trying to identify the mother of a newborn baby or fetus found deceased in Umpherville on Monday.

RCMP said the remains were found between two homes and on Friday, a news release from leadership of the northern First Nation called for anyone with information to come forward.

“The RCMP has advised leadership that it is continuing its investigation and seeks to identify the mother and family of the deceased newborn and determine the surrounding circumstances,” said Chief Michael Constant, in the release.

Recognizing the discovery is “deeply troubling” for the community, band leadership expressed its concern and said it is “exploring the need for additional supports for the health of mothers and families.”

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 17 minute read Preview

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 17 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

On most days at Health Sciences Centre’s adult emergency department, all 58 treatment beds are filled with sick patients. Another dozen or so brought in by ambulance line the hallways on stretchers, with only one nurse to look after them.

Out in the waiting room, about 30 or 40 people — sometimes more — are slouched in chairs in pain or discomfort, waiting hours to see a doctor. Most have been assessed by a triage nurse, but many will have to wait 10 to 20 hours to be examined by a physician because there’s no room for them in the treatment area.

Some patients leave because they can no longer tolerate the excruciating wait, only to return days later, sicker than they were before.

Welcome to the emergency department at Manitoba’s largest hospital, where some of the highest-acuity patients seek medical care but now face delays that were unimaginable a few years ago.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Gun found after police spot masked taxi riders

1 minute read Yesterday at 10:17 AM CDT

Winnipeg police officers seized a sawed-off rifle and arrested a 13-year-old boy after spotting people wearing ski masks inside a taxi Monday afternoon.

North district community support officers were on patrol at about 3:45 p.m. when they noticed the taxi’s masked occupants, who weren’t wearing seatbelts, near McPhillips Street and Pritchard Avenue, police said.

While speaking to one of the passengers, the officers noticed what appeared to be the outline of a gun inside a satchel.

After arresting the passengers, police seized a sawed-off .22-calibre rifle and ammunition, a shotgun shell and about half a gram of methamphetamine, which has a street value of about $30, a news release said.

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Preview

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:24 PM CDT

West End business owners say their neighbourhood has been under siege for months, and some believe downtown police drug sweeps have made things worse by pushing more street disorder in their direction — and pushing customers away.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:24 PM CDT